ABF | 004-Little Rock Is Probably Moving To 009-Memphis

Their probably counting on people not to take the transfer so they can hire new people at a lower rate and no vacations. It's called "Shaking the tree" just think of how much money they could save by this move!
Looks like they are taking a page out of the yrc handbook, they can't get drivers what makes ABF think their going to find them?

The company will have to lower their standards for new hires to attract employees in Memphis. Some of the NLR guys may go for a few years just to finish retirement. A lot of the younger NLR workers won't make the move because of relocating their families. A company that offers no stability will have difficulty attracting dependable employees. The success of ABF has been due to a stable workforce with low employee turnover. A revolving door workforce may be cheap initially but costly later.

The company will have to lower their standards for new hires to attract employees in Memphis. Some of the NLR guys may go for a few years just to finish retirement. A lot of the younger NLR workers won't make the move because of relocating their families. A company that offers no stability will have difficulty attracting dependable employees. The success of ABF has been due to a stable workforce with low employee turnover. A revolving door workforce may be cheap initially but costly later.
Really all of the LTLs are used to having plenty of drivers to choose from, especially the union ones. They have had to do virtually zero advertizing in the past to get good drivers where non LTLs have large budgets for advertizing and recruiting. In the past few years this has changed and its only going to get worse. I think ABF might have hurt itself more than they expected when they accepted the union proposal to cut vacations.

I don't think even advertising will help. For the most part these company's records has been their best and only advertisement to attract drivers. Years ago it was well known that one could earn a decent living and that the working conditions were worth it. It is not the case anymore and it is no secret. As DCM_Doc has put it they will have to lower their hiring standards. Can't gradeate high skool? What else lies in the closet of that applicant? I guarantee Eagle Scout is not in his resume. I am sooooo glad I'm not in something like my tenth year with this company or in this industry. It would be equal to being stuck with a poor outlook.

I don't think even advertising will help. For the most part these company's records has been their best and only advertisement to attract drivers. Years ago it was well known that one could earn a decent living and that the working conditions were worth it. It is not the case anymore and it is no secret. As DCM_Doc has put it they will have to lower their hiring standards. Can't gradeate high skool? What else lies in the closet of that applicant? I guarantee Eagle Scout is not in his resume. I am sooooo glad I'm not in something like my tenth year with this company or in this industry. It would be equal to being stuck with a poor outlook.

As one who has been in the industry less than 10 years, the outlook for the industry is scary but from an individual standpoint if you are an intelligent guy with a good record you have no worries finding a good job.

Since the company will not require a high school diploma for qualifications why would they require US citizenship & the ability to speak English? Why not buy a bus & make a daily run to the daily labor pool? The supervisors can take a crash course in bilingual studies in Spanish & mid eastern languages. Supervisors might wish for old school Teamsters again. Damage claims & accidents will rival non union competitors.

It must have been hard for the vice president who probably has a masters degree in business to say the company he represents is now hiring people who are "absent a high school diploma". He probably walked away from the press conference saying" Who wrote that sh#t?" Or "Did I really just SAY that?" Incredible

It must have been hard for the vice president who probably has a masters degree in business to say the company he represents is now hiring people who are "absent a high school diploma". He probably walked away from the press conference saying" Who wrote that sh#t?" Or "Did I really just SAY that?" Incredible

Might be part of the requirement to qualify for the tax break.

As one who has been in the industry less than 10 years, the outlook for the industry is scary but from an individual standpoint if you are an intelligent guy with a good record you have no worries finding a good job.
Finding a job, yes, finding a good job? That could be subjective as to what one thinks a good job is. I don't think there will be any good jobs for truck drivers in 20 years but I do hope I am wrong. To me a good job is one job that provides for a man and his family. Complete with health insurance, pension and a vacation home in the mountains or the shore, just like the good old days.

Finding a job, yes, finding a good job? That could be subjective as to what one thinks a good job is. I don't think there will be any good jobs for truck drivers in 20 years but I do hope I am wrong. To me a good job is one job that provides for a man and his family. Complete with health insurance, pension and a vacation home in the mountains or the shore, just like the good old days.
6 more years of this B.S. And I'm out! Leaving at age 60 with 36 years of pension credits!

Since the company will not require a high school diploma for qualifications why would they require US citizenship & the ability to speak English? Why not buy a bus & make a daily run to the daily labor pool? The supervisors can take a crash course in bilingual studies in Spanish & mid eastern languages. Supervisors might wish for old school Teamsters again. Damage claims & accidents will rival non union competitors.

I didn't intend to be critical of non union people who frequent this board. A better word would have been cut rate carriers & there are a few that fit that description. Often they are not insured & drivers don't speak English.
ABF has always had a reputation of a quality carrier but with uneducated employees that will change. As was mentioned they may be required to hire quotas to get the tax incentives.

The move could be their spanking for voting no on the contract. But only about 100 voted, how many do they have?

The move could be their spanking for voting no on the contract. But only about 100 voted, how many do they have?

Here is the breakdown of how 004 voted on the contract. City/Dock was 44-yes and 55-no. Road was 62-yes and 67-no. Garage was 9-yes and 55-no. Clerical was 5-yes and 0-no although I am told that there were two no votes on the clerical side that for some strange reason were not counted. On the flip side, Memphis was a big yes vote from what I understand. If this Change Of Operations takes place, it is going to have a negative effect on the Memphis terminal as well because of the seniority of the Little Rock board. Not to mention on the city/dock side of it, the Memphis terminal is currently a city operation (mostly Monday thru Friday day shift). Becoming a break bulk will make them a 7-day operation with a day shift, an afternoon shift, and a night shift. I know for me that it would be very difficult to go from working Monday thru Friday days to working Wednesday thru Sunday afternoons or night shift. Here at 004 you must have 20-plus years in to even hold any kind of Monday thru Friday job regardless of what shift or job you have on the dock/city side of things.

Why have a secret ballot election if the results local to local are going to be common knowledge? I wouldn't want the company to know how I voted...
I gots to know. How else would I figure out who to bash for doing us this way?

As an observer and a member of the Teamsters Union(YRCF).We all are being punked by these two corporations.ABF is planning on building a gigantic distribution center in Memphis along with the huge tax incentives by the Memphis Economic Board.If ABF has that kind of money to build a huge Break bulk center.Then they have the money to restore the labor's wages.plus Memphis wants to use ABF as a leverage on FedEx.Because FedEx has threatened to leave Memphis for Little Rock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk