R&L | 1.5 stops per hour!!!!

braceface

TB Regular
Credits
At out terminal lately, the only thing that seems to be important is making 1.5 stops per hour...This includes pick ups, and deliveries...

This is not bills per hour, it is stops per hour....

It does not matter that you run your ***** off all day long, don't eat a lunch, don't take a ****, don't take a break, and you run 300 miles, if you don't get the required 1.5 stops per hour, then you get told you need to pick up the pace...

Drivers who have been around for 10-15 years and longer, who have done an excellent job over the years with no complaints from anyone, dispatchers, terminal managers or anyone else, are now being told that are not moving fast enough...

If you are at a customers, making a delivery, and you have 5 bills for them, and it is all double stacked, or crushed, or has been taken off the pallet so it will fit, and has to be recouped, that does not matter, this only counts as ONE STOP...It does not matter that they have to count the freight for these five bills, and it may be 3/4 of a trailer of double stacked freight, YOU BETTER HURRY DRIVER, CAUSE THIS ONLY COUNTS FOR ONE STOP...

Same with pick-ups, if you go to a place and load 20-30 bills and you are there for over an hour, you only get credit for 1 stop....

The thing of it is, you can be given stops and pick-ups, and routed in such a way, that their is no way to make this magic number...On the oter hand, you can be routed in such a way that you can make 3 stops per hour...

It does not matter that you take out a truckload of freight, generating revenue of $1500-$2500, and you fill your truck back up with pick-ups to the back door, you run 250-300 miles but the magic number does not come to 1.5 stops, you just didn't do it good enough...

Does the management really think we want to be out until 7:00, 8:00, or later? Believe me, we want to get home to our families...This 1.5 stops per hour thing is destroying the moral of the drivers...Another thing, where are we supposed to find the time to "Ask for ONE MORE SKID"?

If the intent is to destroy the moral of their drivers, they are doing an excellent job. If their intent is to instill fear into thie drivers, who fear they will lose thier jobs because they don't meet the 1.5 stops, they have succeeded at that also....Is this what Mr. Roberts wants? (I doubt its coming from him)

Is this 1.5 stops thing meant to accomplish something else, that is not being stated? There are those who think so...

I know for years, that we felt like the job we did was appreciated, that we were valued...It just seems like that has all gone away....Hey anyone listening?
:ranting2:

You seem to be going through what we went through about 6-9 months ago. Don't get so upset,miles play a factor in your stop per hour numbers,at 300 miles you should be doing about .8 stops per hour.There is a list of miles and what your stop per hour should be. Also, you need to call in any delay of more than 15 minutes to your dispatcher,so he can write it in on the detail next to the company you are delivering to. When you are called into the office,have the detail handy and all the delay time gets subtracted from your hours worked that day.And of course the more miles you do the less your stops per hour will be. After a few visits from you providing the facts about your situation TM will stop bothering you. It's all about numbers and turning profits at terminals not about busting your nuts. Wait til they start pulling the sattellite pictures asking you why your were in one spot for 2 hours.

As a YRC driver it sounds just like the best practice crap that we went through aa few years ago at Yellow.A funny story: We had to call in after our last stop for the dispatch to give us an expected time of arrival at the terminal. We had a driver have to go into the T.M. office because he told management if they knew what time he was to be empty of deliveries, and at the end of his shift back at the terminal time ,why couldn't management get him off the clock in 8 hours!...lol

same bs here

only thing that we here is our terminal missed goal so the change our clock in time up 30min. we had a driver that is on a peddle route that only had five bills so they didnt have him come in till 12:00 to start his route. they dont understand that we cannot control when our customers call in. for pickups. like today i didn't leave the yard till 10:00 had 20 bills. and after dealing with customers and waiting here and there for 10 to 15 min it was 5:00 when i got empty up to help with delivery's by that time it is to late to help because a lot of them is close and that is another thing that we run across on delivers is that they stop receiving around 2:30 to 3:30 so what is a driver to do they need to make a decision miss delivers or make pickups.... bob say if the frieght is not there than cancel the run but he also says that he wants a 99% on time delivery so the 8 bill that we just held for cutting the run just we just missed our 99% on time delivery :TR10driving03::Duel:

Does the management really think we want to be out until 7:00, 8:00, or later? Believe me, we want to get home to our families...

This is why you should rate overtime after a certain amount of time on the job...say after 8/40 hours or something.
Which would provide a dis-incentive for mgt to work you around the clock like that.
But these low-ball ::shit:: bag outfits like R&L are all the same...
And they drag down the job for drivers at good outfits who don't want to live in their daycabs busting their a$$es all day/night in the city.
::shit::, I'd rather take an over-the-road job than do that.

I can sure relate to this number crunching game most LTL companies play.
I just retired a year ago 4/01/08 after being a city driver for 45 years.
50/50 union,then non-union finishing as a Teamster once again.

I had 19 &1/2 years with Overnite,then UPS got their paws all over our operation.
All of the years I was an Overniter,as long as I made all of my deliveries and pickups I was golden,nobody bothered me.
After we were rebranded to UPS Freight I was getting called into chit chat with my TM for not making the numbers.
I got sick of it,and seeing I was old enough to retire I hung up my tractor keys and bailed.

However when I was being reamed out about not making my stops per hour.
I learned at least with UPS it was miles,and weight that was figured in.
I know there is a formula for it,but I don't know what it is?
I think every company may figure it different.

Sorry to hear your going through this numbers game,once a company starts that stuff there is nothing you can do other than give it your best,if they like it or not that is all you can give.

My TM didn't like what I always told him when he was getting on my case.

I said if you think you can do my route any better than me help yourself.

!.5 sph is damn near impossible in my area. What kills that number for me is the 2 1/2 hour ride back to the yard when I'm done, and bad routing never helps.

Thankfully, I was told that terminal average is the most important thing, as opposed to what one driver is doing, becuase we have so many extended routes.

WOW
You guy's have it easy. There pushing us out here for 2 per hour. And yes there calling in drivers all the time to explain them selves for not hitting that goal.
TM's always posting the numbers on the "wall of shame" in the drivers room.
New TM is a BIG numbers cruncher!
There so worried about there numbers, they have thrown safety and customer service out the window, turned down freight and over all turned morale into a pile of ::shit::!
I think the new TM takes pleasure in crushing morale! He must get a bonus for this?

It's not like going to work anymore, but like your going to war and always deffending yourself!

WOW
You guy's have it easy. There pushing us out here for 2 per hour. And yes there calling in drivers all the time to explain them selves for not hitting that goal.
There so worried about there numbers, they have thrown safety and customer service out the window, turned down freight and over all turned morale into a pile of ::shit::!
I think the new TM takes pleasure in crushing morale! He must get a bonus for this?

It's not like going to work anymore, but like your going to war and always deffending yourself!
sounds just like at my barn:ranting2:

WOW

Call Human Resources immediately!!!! TM not allowed to post performance for all to see. Call HR and it will be removed immediatley and TM will be disciplined for doing that. Happened at our terminal posting monthly returns chart. A few calls to wilmington and it was taken care of. Wilmington will help you if you put some trust in them and build relationship,that is what they are there for. TM can't post things that humiliate a driver!!! Call HR!!!!!

WOW

TM's do get a weekly bonus for getting good numbers

You see these programs pop-up across most of the big carriers from time to time (a lot of years behind that observation). Before you jeopardize yourself, make the notations, call in the delays, and just keep doing the good job. Sure they will see things that can be improved, other things that can't, but I always ran across things that I could work on better and others that I just shook my head and said, "---, I'm good!"

They explained the 1.5 bills an hr. But not one driver has been under the gun about are work. One new driver was let go do to not being able to get 5-6 bills off and no pick ups. This was an everyday thing with him. Myself I have a small area with alot of freight. Almost everyday I am last out if the yard. Most day's I get to my first stop at 1030-1100. My under standing my count starts when I clock in at 9am. I am always picking up freight at the same time I making my drops. It wares you out trying to pick up and drop freight. Alway's have to move something. I look at it this way I am paid by the hr. I get what I can done. I also take a lonch everyday. One day I got out of the yard so late I stopped around the conner and had lunch. If I bring something back it's not because I did not try. I put the time I arrive on the DR and the time I drive away. I also write on my copy why I was there so long. And charge the dely

You guys quit your griping and hit the the strreet! Be sure to get 2 stops an hour so I look good and make my bonus...I'm a good guy and corporate is just demanding production from all of us....I will talk to ya'll when I get back from my European vacation with ya'lls hard work getting me my all important bonus
Sincerely your friend the Terminal Manager

Well, I'm running P/D this week. Not real happy about it, but that's another story. Anyway, Monday I did 12 stops in 11.75 hours and logged 424 miles.

How'd I do?

Well, I'm running P/D this week. Not real happy about it, but that's another story. Anyway, Monday I did 12 stops in 11.75 hours and logged 424 miles.

How'd I do?
You did good driver!!!!! Your now promoted to city driver status:shift::biglaugh: Let me guess a city driver is on vacation and they took ya off your run because the temp/combo driver can't run city????:ranting2:

You did good driver!!!!! Your now promoted to city driver status:shift::biglaugh: Let me guess a city driver is on vacation and they took ya off your run because the temp/combo driver can't run city????:ranting2:
Combo driver probably QUIT cause he can make more money with a better work schedule at McDonald's :hide: