R&L | 1.5 stops per hour!!!!

The Duck is close, real close... No, when a pedal run driver goes on vacation, they seem to have a hard time trusting a untried driver with it. So, they'll tap one of the drivers that they know can handle it and on this particular route that happens to be me. This run was my pedal route before I went to L/H, so I know the area and could use the change of pace anyway. I don't really mind all that much, I just wish I was asked instead of told, ya know?

Did a little better today, 17 stops in 12.25 hours, logged 384 miles

The Duck is close, real close... No, when a pedal run driver goes on vacation, they seem to have a hard time trusting a untried driver with it. So, they'll tap one of the drivers that they know can handle it and on this particular route that happens to be me. This run was my pedal route before I went to L/H, so I know the area and could use the change of pace anyway. I don't really mind all that much, I just wish I was asked instead of told, ya know?

Did a little better today, 17 stops in 12.25 hours, logged 384 miles

Sounds like a busy day, and sounds like you did a hell of a job...As hard a day as you had, you did not make the majic number, and I know from experience, that it wasn't because you didn't work your butt off...

I did 19 stops in 11.25 hours, logged 240 something miles, can't remember the exact amount...

It is extremely hard to meet the 1.5 stops per hour when you are running a lot of miles...On the other hand, if you are only logging 75-100 miles a day, and just in industrial parks with no residentials, it could very possible to do 2.5 to 4 stops per hour...

They have got to factor in the amount of miles you run, bill count, revenue etc...There are just to many factors to say that every individual driver has to meet the criteria every day...

Maybe what they are looking for is that each terminal as a whole make an average of 1.5 stops per hour...This would make sense...

My advice to everyone, do your best, and when you get held up, just let em know about it...

Braceface,when the bill count started in miami a few months ago,alot of drivers were woried,but after a while,you realize its out of our control! We don't tell them how many deliveries to put in our truck and we definatley cant give our opinions to the dispatcher,so just deliver what we have and pick up what they tell us.thats all we can do.the T.M knows who works and who doesnt.

Braceface,when the bill count started in miami a few months ago,alot of drivers were woried,but after a while,you realize its out of our control! We don't tell them how many deliveries to put in our truck and we definatley cant give our opinions to the dispatcher,so just deliver what we have and pick up what they tell us.thats all we can do.the T.M knows who works and who doesnt.

miami_owl, you are right, it is out of our control...It is hard not to worry, but all each of us can do is our best, and thats what I do every day...

I was reading the posts on this thread topic to see how everyone is doing with your company's performance standards.
When I was a city driver for UPS Freight before retiring from trucking last year,we had the same standard.

The TM posted our performance numbers the next day so every city driver could see how each one was doing.

At first it was kind of degrading,however seeing my TM was the king of my terminal we had to put up with it.

It did take some getting used too,however we could come in every morning to see how we did the day before.
Then explain why we did good or bad,which sometimes helped us to improve.
Or just to tell everyone how bad the trailer was loaded so the dock crew would get called into have a chat with the TM.

Over the course of time it did help to improve the numbers at my terminal.
Every once in a while one or more of us driver had to have a numbers chat with the TM,but nobody was ever booted out of UPS Freight for falling short.

Hope this helps you guys,it is a real raw deal to have to work like this.
But most companies are doing it so you just have to put up with this now that the ball is rolling there is no stopping it.

Do your best,and do it safe,it is your CDL you need to make a living with,not the number crunchers sitting behind their desks.

Remember also if you are in any mishaps when you were pushing yourself beyond your better judgment.
You think your TM is going to stick up for you?
No way he is going to protect his job,and say he never told you to do anything unsafe.

So in closing my best advice is do what you can do,be safe,and don't worry about anything you have no control over.
Get your check every week and enjoy your weekends.

Problem we are are having at our terminal is they just started up the 12 stop minimum routing again, i have had no deliveries since it started, plenty of stops in my area, but I don't get them, had 11 deliveries in my area yesterday but I started at 11 went out with an empty. Put 2 stops each on 2 company drivers, 1 on another, and 6 on an owner operator straight truck driver that is famous for 2 things, grabbing freight off of other drivers, and being home by 1pm every afternoon, he is percentage after all he doesn't wait for anything. He has been dong this for years, 3 weeks ago a customer called in on him because he wouldn't follow their rules, they said they didn't want to see him in there again but the router is still putting the freight on him.

Well, my week of P/D is over for now at least. Here's how my numbers came out.

Made 63 stops over the week and worked 62.5 hours ( 70 hours clock), ran a total of 2137 miles doing it.
Thats right at 1 stop per hour, but if you were to break it down and subtract the driving time of 40 hours logged,
I did 63 stops in 22.5 hours, thats a average of 2.8 stops per hour.

Not sure if they look at it like that and don't really care. I run pretty well flat out from the time I pull out the gate til I pull back in.
Always have, always will. If thats not enough for somebody, screw 'em.

As long as they have bean counters telling us how to deliver and pick up freight, we will always have managers that want to do things by the numbers. I had been called into my TM's office a while back on some bullshit remark I had made to another manager about his ineptitude and blaming a service failure on a fellow driver. The TM and I had to be separated by my shop steward until calm could be reestablished. TM later apologized to me, and said that although he knows I am near the last ones to leave the yard from my shift, he has no complaints because I empty and fill the truck every day. A few days later, while rearranging my load to fit a customer's freight that had been sitting on the dock all week, he starts to berate me in front of some dockworkers. I left the yard, stopped to take a customer's phone call, and low and behold, he pulls up alongside me and starts to berate me all over again. Gave me some ::shit:: about getting all my work done, (which I always did), I managed to do 1.83 stops per hour that day, and he still didn't want to hear any explantions from me or give me any credit for doing a good day's work. In fact, he took me off my regular route as punishment, and that's how I sustained the injuries that have kept me out of work for 26 straight months. I wonder if is he is happy to be paying me to stay home? :clap:

As long as they have bean counters telling us how to deliver and pick up freight, we will always have managers that want to do things by the numbers. I had been called into my TM's office a while back on some bullshit remark I had made to another manager about his ineptitude and blaming a service failure on a fellow driver. The TM and I had to be separated by my shop steward until calm could be reestablished. TM later apologized to me, and said that although he knows I am near the last ones to leave the yard from my shift, he has no complaints because I empty and fill the truck every day. A few days later, while rearranging my load to fit a customer's freight that had been sitting on the dock all week, he starts to berate me in front of some dockworkers. I left the yard, stopped to take a customer's phone call, and low and behold, he pulls up alongside me and starts to berate me all over again. Gave me some ::shit:: about getting all my work done, (which I always did), I managed to do 1.83 stops per hour that day, and he still didn't want to hear any explantions from me or give me any credit for doing a good day's work. In fact, he took me off my regular route as punishment, and that's how I sustained the injuries that have kept me out of work for 26 straight months. I wonder if is he is happy to be paying me to stay home? :clap:

He probably could care less...

If a man talks to people, and harasses someone like you say your terminal manager did to you, he does not care...

A man should not be allowed to be a manager, and treat his employee's the way this guy treated you.

When I was a manager in the restaurant business, all I ever wanted was employee's that would do there job, that I would not have to worry about..I took good care of those people, and treated them well...

When I became an employee, I decided that I would be the kind of employee that would do my job, and the boss would not have to worry about..

Most of the times they leave me alone, let me do my job, and I take care of our customers. Rarely, (when their boss is on their butt), they are on me, telling me to "Hurry"..(I always hurry), whether they are on me or not..

I hope you are able to heal and get back on your feet...:shift:

Amen to Braceface. And also Apostolic... if they get on my case, then I ask them if they can do better ( mainly talking about my idiot dispatcher ) then go for it. I know in my heart I am doing the best job possible with the hand I'm dealt daily. I tell them also if it was a poker hand, I would've folded.

He probably could care less...

If a man talks to people, and harasses someone like you say your terminal manager did to you, he does not care...

A man should not be allowed to be a manager, and treat his employee's the way this guy treated you.

When I was a manager in the restaurant business, all I ever wanted was employee's that would do there job, that I would not have to worry about..I took good care of those people, and treated them well...

When I became an employee, I decided that I would be the kind of employee that would do my job, and the boss would not have to worry about..

Most of the times they leave me alone, let me do my job, and I take care of our customers. Rarely, (when their boss is on their butt), they are on me, telling me to "Hurry"..(I always hurry), whether they are on me or not..

I hope you are able to heal and get back on your feet...:shift:

lets face it, these managers in what ever department, need training on how to treat employees cuz it all boils down to that.......they just dont know how to talk and treat their own employees cuz all they did was just kiss a little *** :eck13::butt kiss: to get their positions without no proper training on ethics, guess the ceo dont give a ::shit:: except on filling his pockets:tongue

No way would I do that

Wow, where do I sign up?
Working 62.5 hours/wk in the city with no overtime.
12-hour days...who needs a life?

No way would I do 62+ hours a week. As I will not pull Triples as FedEx and others do in the city of Las Vegas. I rather Deliver Pizza. You guy's that pull Tripbles in the City are over worked and under paid. And you finger print to much freight.