Yellow | "1" thing could save YRC.......1 company

MONTANANY

TB Lurker
Credits
Bash me if needed (not a YRC employee), but I see one thing that could save this Yellow caused mess. That is ONE company...........no New Penn, no USF Holland, no USF Reddaway, no Reimer. Will jobs be lost, yes but why have 2-3 YRC terminal operations in some cites??

Just one company (YRC) that has all of the resources. Merge everything to be one company, cut ALL of the overlap, get rid off the CRAP Executives/management/operations/drivers and be one company that would offer the best. Freight is quite simple.........pick it up, move it, deliver it on time and damage free!! If it is going to be late, notify the customer.

Now will this happen, likely not. But it they did this, with success could be unstopable and would grow.

Bash me if needed (not a YRC employee), but I see one thing that could save this Yellow caused mess. That is ONE company...........no New Penn, no USF Holland, no USF Reddaway, no Reimer. Will jobs be lost, yes but why have 2-3 YRC terminal operations in some cites??

Just one company (YRC) that has all of the resources. Merge everything to be one company, cut ALL of the overlap, get rid off the CRAP Executives/management/operations/drivers and be one company that would offer the best. Freight is quite simple.........pick it up, move it, deliver it on time and damage free!! If it is going to be late, notify the customer.

Now will this happen, likely not. But it they did this, with success could be unstopable and would grow.

this may be closer to the truth then many may think.

you are correct one company one union one senority list
The one shop store of transportation...

I bet they have thought about merging more of the empire together many times. It's all an extension of the "shrinking to prosperity" theory. We live in "exciting" times, so be careful what you wish for.

Negative, It's all about the brands. If the bondholders agreed and Chicago voted yes the ship would have cleared the final two hurdles and would be sailing out to sea. But it crashed and burned instead

Negative, It's all about the brands. If the bondholders agreed and Chicago voted yes the ship would have cleared the final two hurdles and would be sailing out to sea. But it crashed and burned instead

Hello customer I'm from YRC did you have a pick up?.... Who?
Yellow, Roadway..
OH!..... Hey do we have a shipment for roadway today?
Or somewhere else they say do we have something for Yellow?
The brand is not catching on.

The brand is not catching on because there are still a lot of Roadway and Yellow trucks all over the road. Who the heck is YRC. See very few of their trucks.

Hello customer I'm from YRC did you have a pick up?.... Who?
Yellow, Roadway..
OH!..... Hey do we have a shipment for roadway today?
Or somewhere else they say do we have something for Yellow?
The brand is not catching on.

The merge was destructive. Too bad they couldn't keep Yellow Roadway separate but the economy wouldn't allow it

Titanic

The 1 thing might have worked if it had been implemented from the very beginning. By that I mean as all the seperate pieces were accquired they should have been rebranded as YRC.:shrug: Very painful to be watching people try to keep the Titanic from sinking by bailing with teaspoons. Many dedicated employees, Teamsters AND supervisors, just not enough to keep this ship afloat I'm afraid.

This will not happen in my view, when yellow and roadway merged to form yrc they lost 45 percent of their freight. Its all about the brands holland newpenn readyway. If they merge these companys it will be the death of yrc they will lose 50 percent or more of the freight. The shippers like the holland name or the newpenn. Plus new penn holland and readyway are making money why merge them ?

What I am saying is evolve the entire YRC company and that would need the support of the Teamsters. Get over the "WE" (Yellow Roadway Holland New Penn Reddaway Reimer) are better or making money. Start clean and get this trail wreck back on track. The past is the past and it's over.

Here are some points:

- drop the ideas of "Brand" recognition and how this would not work. Start a NEW brand that is unstoppable.

- like I said all employees that will not make this idea succeed, will not be part of the new company. Includes Mr Zollars.....and no Golden Parachute to get rid of him.

- Here is the Teamster contribution. No longer will be losers/slackers/those that are entitled be tolerated. I am NOT saying "Zero Tolerance", but if you are stealing time, address it. This would work with great management. If you worked your *** off all day (no breaks or lunch) you would still get paid for it and not have to sit in the terminal to punch out or 1 mile from the terminal "getting your time". An example of a "stealer of time" is a guy I used to deal with when I was a Traffic Manager. He came in to my facility saying that he could not back in since it was too tight (I used to get 5-10 trailers a day). I told him to just get in his truck and hit the dock. He said: if I was SO GOOD, do it myself and threw me the keys. I took the keys and went to the truck.........he was like a "whipped puppy" begging me to not get in the truck! He is (was) also a YRC local P&D driver that left the yard and took all back roads to a volume stop (45 minutes, should have been 20 min TOPS). Acting TM called the consignee to ask that they call when the driver was done. Consignee called and the driver then called 10 minutes later and said he was done with the delivery. When confronted, the driver said that he did not feel comfortable driving on the highways. In my opinion, this would be a non-grievance immediate termination. It is guys like this that give the Teamsters a "bad name".

One company, one team!

Give it a break Joe. Chicago did not create the mess this company is in.:ranting2:

Give it a break , I have been trying to be positive, but I can no longer believe this company is going to make it. Freight is no longer there, mgmt could give a rats ***, but who could blame them with their pay cuts along with ours. Our TM quit today,gave his two weeks notice. He's going to FedEx national.following the ex regional manager who is his buddy. He was telling me they are planning on opening three more terminals in the Chi town area within the next year. Whats the use ,put your head between your legs and kiss your asses goodbye. I bet we don't even make the new year!!!!!

What you're effectively saying is shut down the regionals. Sounds easy, but it's not going to "get 'er done."

- Two of the regionals are profitable; New Penn and Reddaway (barely.) It would be foolish to shed something that's making you money.

- All of the freight the regionals are hauling isn't going to necessarily follow YRC National. The regionals often times have better transit times in the same lanes as National does.

- The Yellow/Roadway merger was a mess. Imagine doing that all over again, but instead of rolling two companies together you'd be rolling four together. Lost freight = lost customers.

- I think (but am not sure) that shutting down any of those companies would cause large sums of money to be due to their respective pension funds immediately.

Where a merger made sense, and where YRC dropped the ball, IMO, was not merging Yellow and Roadway shortly after the Roadway acquisition. Both companies basically offered the same service; it didn't make sense to run them as competing entities. I never understood how a Yellow rep could be at a customer one day, then have the Roadway rep in the day after undercutting him when they're both eating out of the same trough.

But the regionals are different. They offer distinctly different services in different regions. Their product and brand would cease to exist under your scenario. All you'd have left is YRC National, which incidentally, has the worst operating numbers in the whole YRCW portfolio.

IMO....YRC should sell off all the x-Roadway equipment, and employees to Conway. That would have been a better merger, rather than Yellow. Conway and Roadway share the same work rules, management skills, brain-washed drivers that vote Yes to work for a lesser wage and without a pension. Now that would be a harder company to compete with on the road. American drivers/Measters that work like slaves, and that share the same equal knowledge of a foreigner. Now that would definately be a way to save our jobs and our pensions.

You got it

Ya know, you're right. The problem with many of these companies is fat. Yellow and Roadway were very much guilty of being very fat. They had a management position for the management of the managements management. It's gotten a little better over the years, but it continues. There are way too many phone calls being made, and too many meetings about the meetings meeting. They make it so complicated, they can't even trace their own steps so they have a meeting about the phone calls phone call during a conference call. If they would just be responsible for moving the freight, and spend less time wondering what bosses *** to kiss next, there would be a lot more getting done. There is no possible way they could need so many bosses. No way. You're absolutely right. Moving freight from point A to point B is very simple. The management end makes it more expensive, much more complicated, and more inefficient than necessary.

n3iyr
You have an idea of what's going on.
We move things from point A to Point B
Justification of their existence is what's dragging it down
What is produced? We have no product, only a service

You have the right idea, the problem is the implementation/deployment...The main problem with the Yellow-Roadway merge was with the way it was rushed, and the decision to "back down" yellows IT (Information Technology) infrastructure to roadway's antiquated system. Roadways IT should have been upgraded to what yellow was using long before the merger, which would have made a 500% difference in the outcome... We went from a fairly high class system written for a huge operation with info on any bil or trailer available to any employee to a mid '80's (at best) IT system written and set-up for for very small operation that doesn't scale well at all to what it's being used for...prime example: placarding...yellow's system automatically set the trailer's placards to match the load, including not allowing foodstuffs on a trailer with poison, and vice versa, immediately, while loading. YRC spent the first 2 weeks after the merge with NO idea what was on any trailer, or anywhere in the system. THAT is what cost us 30-40% of our business. Whatever the cost of upgrading the merged companies would have been, it would have been less than the lost revenue just in March alone.
I personally feel that yellow's first computerized system was written after analyzing roadway's, and seeing what needed improving and what was missing during normal operations at a large terminal.