Holland | 100% Utility Terminals?

Northern Flash

Today's Democrats are similar to Commies.
Credits
During the contract talks/meetings we had heard that there were some teminals that were on a "test plan" by having only a utility board. No city and no linehaul. Only Utility. We were told that this "test plan" area was in the Pennsylvania area. Does anyone have any info. on this. If it is true, I would like to hear how they are working out.

You'd have to ask one of the stewards or a person who is very knowledgable about the contract, but I thought they could only have so many?

During the contract talks/meetings we had heard that there were some teminals that were on a "test plan" by having only a utility board. No city and no linehaul. Only Utility. We were told that this "test plan" area was in the Pennsylvania area. Does anyone have any info. on this. If it is true, I would like to hear how they are working out.

it's amazing WHO told you this????????? how would anybody know how this is working when it (ue) can not even start before 04-01-08

N Flash,
From what we've been told there won't be a UE Board except on the initial bid. In other words if your barn will have 4 UE men whoever the 4 are who get on it will be the UE's for the first bid....whatever length it is at your barn.....6 months, one year, etc.....when the time comes to bid it again it will just be regular local cartage bid....like hostler, P&D, etc...

Don't know how that could work Flash. I thought the language called for Utility Drivers to only handle "Utility" freight. Can't move any other freight at anyone else's dock and gotta have an area set aside for that purpose. Am I missing something here? How could an entire terminal dedicate it's board to just that designation?

Don't know how that could work Flash. I thought the language called for Utility Drivers to only handle "Utility" freight. Can't move any other freight at anyone else's dock and gotta have an area set aside for that purpose. Am I missing something here? How could an entire terminal dedicate it's board to just that designation?

Don't be naive. The contract said nothing about only "utility freight", that was only in the explanations and perhaps in the memorandum. The whole point of, to beat a dead horse, voting no was to have those gray areas clarified.

Its kinda funny when people don't read. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Could put a serious hurt on some peoples paychecks.

Don't be naive. The contract said nothing about only "utility freight", that was only in the explanations and perhaps in the memorandum. The whole point of, to beat a dead horse, voting no was to have those gray areas clarified.

Sevenn THANK YOU! That was my whole gripe about the whole contract, Grey language all over it. Should have spelled it out. Intent of language, doesn't mean sqaut. Especially with Yellow Freight with all of their loopholes.

it's amazing WHO told you this????????? how would anybody know how this is working when it (ue) can not even start before 04-01-08
At our "Sunday Meeting", We had two bus. agents there. One of them told about five of us this. He didn't know the particulars, but he said that it was being tested for the future. He said that there was one board, UE only. Where he got his info from I have no idea. I was hoping you guys had more info for us. Sorry, that I don't know more about it.:hide: It sounds like he may have had some bad info. :chairshot: We'll see if anyone has info. later.:smilie_132:

N Flash,
From what we've been told there won't be a UE Board except on the initial bid. In other words if your barn will have 4 UE men whoever the 4 are who get on it will be the UE's for the first bid....whatever length it is at your barn.....6 months, one year, etc.....when the time comes to bid it again it will just be regular local cartage bid....like hostler, P&D, etc...
I'll tell you what dude44, I hope your right on the UE getting to rebid like everyone else. We were even told that when you bid the UE position, it is perminent!!!!!!!!!!! It does'nt get rebid ever!!!!! The info that we get up here is so diluted that it makes me sick!!! At our "Sunday meeting", we asked tons of questions and NONE of them were answered! I don't mean to let this get my feathers ruffled but it is my career after all. I just feel that I need to bend over and try to enjoy! :biglaugh:

I agree Full House. We were told that is was a test project. It sounds like it isn't true anyway. I figured that they could "test" anything as long it wasn't a violation the contract or members.
We got this info from one of the BAs at our Sunday meeting. It sounds like a bunch of bull if none of us have heard of these terminals though. Keep your ears open. Thanks.:1036316054:

Sevenn THANK YOU! That was my whole gripe about the whole contract, Grey language all over it. Should have spelled it out. Intent of language, doesn't mean sqaut. Especially with Yellow Freight with all of their loopholes.
10/4 on that VET. This UE mess is like Swiss cheese, holes all over in it.:duh:

At our "Sunday Meeting", We had two bus. agents there. One of them told about five of us this. He didn't know the particulars, but he said that it was being tested for the future. He said that there was one board, UE only. Where he got his info from I have no idea. I was hoping you guys had more info for us. Sorry, that I don't know more about it.:hide: It sounds like he may have had some bad info. :chairshot: We'll see if anyone has info. later.:smilie_132:

This will happen alot, the language in the contract says if there is non utility freight handled at a location it must be in a separate part of the property. Here is the language:

At larger facilities where the Employer utilizes Utility Employees and there is more than Utility work performed, the Employer will designate a specific area on the dock where freight to be handled by Utility Employees will be staged. Non-utility freight will be staged at a designated area and the employees at the destination terminal will handle the non-utility freight.

Just reading this leads me to believe that most freight will be designated as Utility.

The Utility Employee shall work across all classifications as assigned and as necessary to meet business needs, and there shall be no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled.

This is word for word out of the new nmfa.

I still see no logical reason to have an entire terminal go UE. Why pay your morning P&D guys the extra dollar? In fact, why pay anybody they don't have to the extra dollar?

I still see no logical reason to have an entire terminal go UE. Why pay your morning P&D guys the extra dollar? In fact, why pay anybody they don't have to the extra dollar?

Maybe they think they will make it up with fewer people. We could keep 10 more guys busy were I'm at but with everyone working 10 -15 hours overtime a week the company says it's cheaper than calling back laid off guys. I'm waiting to see how the union is going to enforce the overtime provision. I proposed a trip in the formula that would pay a guy that was laid off anytime it was triped. The new language is as I see it almost unenforceable due to freight volumes always shifting. ( a little off thread, sorry)

The Utility Employee shall work across all classifications as assigned and as necessary to meet business needs, and there shall be no restrictions on the type of freight or work handled.

This is word for word out of the new nmfa.

Remember this is referring to work performed at the home terminal.
Work outside the UEs local jurisdiction is limited to the "Utility Freight" designation and fueling and drop/hook of the UEs own equipment.

Why would they want a UE position in the first place if they did not intend to fill the positions.
Why would they keep road drivers?
They cant work freight.
they cant hook their tractors.
they cant fuel their tractors.
Before this contract is over there will be CITY and UE positions only.
The next contract if there is a next one will probably be just UE positions only.