Holland | 100% Utility Terminals?

I still see no logical reason to have an entire terminal go UE. Why pay your morning P&D guys the extra dollar? In fact, why pay anybody they don't have to the extra dollar?

Exactly, the other problem is according to the new language, ue bids are set hour bids. I can't imagine doing away with the extra board. that makes up 60% of the road list?

Remember this is referring to work performed at the home terminal.
Work outside the UEs local jurisdiction is limited to the "Utility Freight" designation and fueling and drop/hook of the UEs own equipment.

You are reading alot into it without it saying that.

I am reading the language that was posted on the Teamsters website NOT the explanations of the language.
Quoted text from said document:

A Utility Employee’s duties during a tour of duty may, at his/her home terminal, include performing Utility-related dock work, P&D (local cartage) work, hostling/yard work (drop & hooks), and any driving work. At larger facilities where the Employer utilizes Utility Employees and there is more than Utility work performed, the Employer will designate a specific area on the dock where freight to be handled by Utility Employees will be staged. Non-utility freight will be staged at a designated area and the employees at the destination terminal will handle the non-utility freight.
A Utility Employee shall perform all local cartage functions at his home terminal.

A Utility Employee shall perform all local cartage functions at his home terminal. Notwithstanding anything in this Agreement or any Supplemental Agreement to the contrary, Utility Employees also may be required to work across Local Union jurisdictional lines. It is not the intent to use Utility Employees to perform local peddle runs or P&D work outside their Local Union’s jurisdiction. At away terminals, a Utility Employee may perform Utility-related dock work, hostling and drop and hooks on his/her own equipment. A Utility Employee shall fuel his/her own equipment at away terminals, if there are no fuelers available. All Utility Employees shall be returned to his home domicile at the end of his shift, absent bona fide extenuating circumstances, in which case they shall be paid on all hours.

I honestly don't think I have read anything into this.
I do however have an open mind and am willing to listen to other interpretations.

I am reading the language that was posted on the Teamsters website NOT the explanations of the language.

That sounded confrontational and I certainly didn't mean it that way I was just making sure that it was known I was referring to the contract. Sorry in advance.

Quoted text from said document:

A Utility Employee’s duties during a tour of duty may, at his/her home terminal, include performing Utility-related dock work, P&D (local cartage) work, hostling/yard work (drop & hooks), and any driving work. At larger facilities where the Employer utilizes Utility Employees and there is more than Utility work performed, the Employer will designate a specific area on the dock where freight to be handled by Utility Employees will be staged. Non-utility freight will be staged at a designated area and the employees at the destination terminal will handle the non-utility freight.
A Utility Employee shall perform all local cartage functions at his home terminal.

A Utility Employee shall perform all local cartage functions at his home terminal. Notwithstanding anything in this Agreement or any Supplemental Agreement to the contrary, Utility Employees also may be required to work across Local Union jurisdictional lines. It is not the intent to use Utility Employees to perform local peddle runs or P&D work outside their Local Union’s jurisdiction. At away terminals, a Utility Employee may perform Utility-related dock work, hostling and drop and hooks on his/her own equipment. A Utility Employee shall fuel his/her own equipment at away terminals, if there are no fuelers available. All Utility Employees shall be returned to his home domicile at the end of his shift, absent bona fide extenuating circumstances, in which case they shall be paid on all hours.

I honestly don't think I have read anything into this.
I do however have an open mind and am willing to listen to other interpretations.

You need to download the papers from the January 28, 2008 Earnings Call which featured discussion with transportation analysts and included slides to go with the discussions. These are linked in several places from seekingalpha.com.

Slide #25 discusses the Utility Employee. From the companies point of view, there are little or no restrictions on what the UE can be used for.
1) works across all job classifications of local and OTR functions
2) no restrictions on type of freight handled
3) can work across jurisdictional boundaries in most cases

"It offers some significant opportunity for the redesign and in a more effective network at Holland. In particular, their regional operations should see some significant advantage." Michael J. Smid noted speaking of the UE.

It does not take any great insight to see that the long haul type of linehaul is endangered by the UE. When not actually moving freight from terminal to terminal, it allows for the setting up of slips and on the way out or the way back, pick up and/or delivery of enroute freight. The UE driver, even with the additional $1 hour pay would be working for about $10 hour less than a current linehaul driver averaging 60mph.

Now if you think that the interpretation of the Teamsters Union will take precedence over the company in the way they want to structure the UE and use him, well....I think you are wrong.

You need to download the papers from the January 28, 2008 Earnings Call which featured discussion with transportation analysts and included slides to go with the discussions. These are linked in several places from seekingalpha.com.

Slide #25 discusses the Utility Employee. From the companies point of view, there are little or no restrictions on what the UE can be used for.
1) works across all job classifications of local and OTR functions
2) no restrictions on type of freight handled
3) can work across jurisdictional boundaries in most cases

"It offers some significant opportunity for the redesign and in a more effective network at Holland. In particular, their regional operations should see some significant advantage." Michael J. Smid noted speaking of the UE.

It does not take any great insight to see that the long haul type of linehaul is endangered by the UE. When not actually moving freight from terminal to terminal, it allows for the setting up of slips and on the way out or the way back, pick up and/or delivery of enroute freight. The UE driver, even with the additional $1 hour pay would be working for about $10 hour less than a current linehaul driver averaging 60mph.

Now if you think that the interpretation of the Teamsters Union will take precedence over the company in the way they want to structure the UE and use him, well....I think you are wrong.
I agree this UE just throws out the rule book-and gives the co. a discount on roadwork.

"IT IS NOT THE INTENT" Do you think we will be able to argue that one.
Look at the money YRC would save on milage, guys not setting in the breakroom anylonger waiting for their loads, guys not staying in motels anylonger.
Do you think they care about that dollar more on the hour when thay will be saving all this money.
Not to mention all the guys that are going out the door.
Listen to us. This should have never passed. We do not even know what we voted for. Every time I think about this passing. It makes me sick.

Exactly, the other problem is according to the new language, ue bids are set hour bids. I can't imagine doing away with the extra board. that makes up 60% of the road list?
STP,
Road bids are predicated on a 60% average of primary lane runs in the Central States. However, Holland is different. They don't have specified primary lanes as I understand it.

To simplify the CS bid formula let's say a terminal averages 10 runs a day to another terminal and the lane is your primary lane.....say IND to KCM....the Company must let you have 6 bids to KCM....the day and start times are negotiable. Some people are under the impression that an entire road board must be bid at 60%. STL would be a good example.....we run many reversals each week to ATL, DET, COL, CGB, NSH, CVE, etc....these runs don't figure into the bid process at all since they aren't our primary lane.

"IT IS NOT THE INTENT" Do you think we will be able to argue that one"

There should be no argument because it's agreed upon and signed by both parties.
As long as the union enforces it.
And the locals don't let the committee supersede (sp) it.

"Listen to us. This should have never passed. We do not even know what we voted for. Every time I think about this passing."

I certainly can't argue with you there but apparently a lot of people thought differently and now we have to try to live with it.

:Poke:The most obvious thing that I see is that it will effect the linehaul board. They clearly intend to use UEs for the short linehaul runs, which eliminates alot of drivers. As to why would they want to pay a city driver the extra one dollar per hour.... easy, it still is cheaper (by 10 dollars per hour) than it would be to use linehaul drivers. I wouldn't panic though because they will still need linehaul for the longer runs. But for most linehaul drivers..........welcome to the city!:Poke:

:Poke:The most obvious thing that I see is that it will effect the linehaul board. They clearly intend to use UEs for the short linehaul runs, which eliminates alot of drivers. As to why would they want to pay a city driver the extra one dollar per hour.... easy, it still is cheaper (by 10 dollars per hour) than it would be to use linehaul drivers. I wouldn't panic though because they will still need linehaul for the longer runs. But for most linehaul drivers..........welcome to the city!:Poke:
I believe the previous contract that eliminated city drivers from running the road on the weekends has come back to haunt the roadside....city drivers running on the weekends was more feasiable for the company because their health and welfare was already paid for saving the companies lots of money.....roadside made sure to eliminate the city from running in the next contract........now all of this has come back to eliminate half of the roads board.....nuf said:chairshot:

They will not need a linehaul. Every terminal will have a radius. Longer runs will be hauled by Glenmoore, Yellow or Roadway. Lets not forget about the Non Union carriers.

They will not need a linehaul. Every terminal will have a radius. Longer runs will be hauled by Glenmoore, Yellow or Roadway. Lets not forget about the Non Union carriers.
You could be right on the "radius" point. I was thinking more about us extended terminals that have several two day lanes within our region. That frt. will not get handed off to other carriers. But, could have a "radius" and then turn the UEs back for home. Good point.:1036316054:

As to why would they want to pay a city driver the extra one dollar per hour.... easy, it still is cheaper (by 10 dollars per hour) than it would be to use linehaul drivers.
Why pay a city driver who is only going to do P&D or combo work the extra dollar? When I pointed out that it wouldn't make sense to do that I was thinking of a normal P&D man who they have no intention or reason to send out on a road...or a UE run. They're not gonna pay this guy an extra buck for doing his normal daily city work.

Why pay a city driver who is only going to do P&D or combo work the extra dollar? When I pointed out that it wouldn't make sense to do that I was thinking of a normal P&D man who they have no intention or reason to send out on a road...or a UE run. They're not gonna pay this guy an extra buck for doing his normal daily city work.

Great point, they are going to use the UE where he is most efficient for the dollar spent whenever possible. And that means using them for linehaul replacement, and only for p&d/dock/yard when they have to.
I don't remember seeing that the UE bid is a guranteed 40 hour bid or not. Anyone know?

BP,
I believe that it is. As far as I know about local cartage, and that's fairly limited, everybody is on a 40 hour guarantee except for 10%ers. At least that's how it works in the Central as far as I know. There may be local agreements that are different. We were told that the UE bids would either be a 5 8's or 4 10's or some of each with all of the normal OT rules applied.

Understood. Yes, I think that they will post these jobs slowly and cautiously to be sure they are not paying them the extra buck to just do normal P/D work. Good point.:1036316054:

Understood. Yes, I think that they will post these jobs slowly and cautiously to be sure they are not paying them the extra buck to just do normal P/D work. Good point.:1036316054:
Yeah, that's all I was saying. Hell, they're so tight with money right now I can't see them spending an extra penny even if it would gain them a dollar. Out of one side of their corporate mouth they preach that the customer is king and must be catered to but they let freight sit and lay off drivers to save H%W money. I just hope that the economy picks up soon so they won't have any choice except to call guys back. These are the worst times I've seen in almost 22 years at Yellow.

Something I just thought of, maybe this is YRC's thinking about shrinking Holland's footprint. If the are covered is smaller, it would allow more UE's to cover the road work. Just a thought.

That very thing is happening in Me right now. Check this out, I peddle Jackson, Tn out of Memphis. (80 miles) The LTL I p/u in Jackson is dropped at Roadway's yard where a Holland bid road-driver at 4:00 pm p/u the trl and takes it to Nashville for breaking. This OTR driver usually always has a drop either on the way or in return. I usually make a swap on the way in. Talking about different brochures being printed. There is a brochure for this move:JACKSON EXPRESS. This was made just for the W Tennessee customers shipping to the HEARTLAND. So this map that is being circulated to me is nothing. Your terminal makes money you stay open, if not, turn out the lights the party is over. Back to the Jackson Express. We currently run 2 bids for this. They say it will increase to 4 or 5. This move was filed on and an agreement was made????? Company said why fight it because next month this will be UE work. So there is it is, a test on UE work in progress. GRIZZ