Holland | 100% Utility Terminals?

Another issue will be when a city driver takes a Utility Employee position. This will cause other problems. Like when this ex-city guy is pulling frt. from terminal to terminal. Which used to be linehaul work. Then there is no work for linehaul. That will become an issue. This whole thing will be interesting.:hide: I still have several questions that have not been answered. Our BA's that were at the Washington meeting are even giving out opposite answers. They must have been excellent at taking notes!!!!:chairshot:

Another issue will be when a city driver takes a Utility Employee position. This will cause other problems. Like when this ex-city guy is pulling frt. from terminal to terminal. Which used to be linehaul work. Then there is no work for linehaul. That will become an issue. This whole thing will be interesting.:hide: I still have several questions that have not been answered. Our BA's that were at the Washington meeting are even giving out opposite answers. They must have been excellent at taking notes!!!!:chairshot:

You are right. The road man is going to lose runs if city man takes a UE position.
The city man is going to lose work if the road man takes UE position.
They were telling us at first it would be new freight for the UE position. Now it could be any and all freight.

The city guys are getting the crappy end of the stick. City guys can not bump to the road with his or her seniority. Where the road guys can.

City guys will lose work and their seniority.

A lot of guys got scared that they would lose their jobs. We could have got a contract out of them that would have been good for us all.

We should have never given up anything that guys fault for through the years. Ask any X Preston drivers about given back to Yellow.
If YRC was going to fold there was nothing we could do about it.

Still makes me sick that this passed.

What if they add more utility jobs?

N Flash,
From what we've been told there won't be a UE Board except on the initial bid. In other words if your barn will have 4 UE men whoever the 4 are who get on it will be the UE's for the first bid....whatever length it is at your barn.....6 months, one year, etc.....when the time comes to bid it again it will just be regular local cartage bid....like hostler, P&D, etc...

If they add more to that UE board you would still have the op to go on the board?

Utility

Where you been brother. From my perspective. Utility drivers will usurp the road. At least in part. Utility driver hostels, fuels, loads and unloads, runs both city p&d AND short road. So, that Wheeling to Milw you have time for will not happen. Because the Utility driver will load or unload,run a few city stops and then run that WH to Milw You could have and should of had. Sure they probably will not eliminate road entirely but they can do a hell of a lot of it with the utility guy. I.E. WH or Chgo utility runs to Milw and back. the Milw utility runs Green bay and back, that utility runs to Minn and back and so on and on.
What they want is A DRIVER IS A DRIVER no matter what. The only thing I see that might help is that 705 Chgo starts their negotiations Tues 3.18.2008 and there is no conversation whatsoever in their proposals concerning utility. Now the question is can they keep it out. Time and balls will tell
P.S. Chicago city men DO NOT FUEL OR LOAD OR UNLOAD. They P & D only

I guess we all know who we have to thank for allowing utility.

What I cannot believe is that so many of you voted for this NMF contract this time. Were you not thinking about your future?

These economic times will not last forever, certainly not to the end of this contract.

One to two years into this contract when economic times are better you will be kicking yourself in the ***, stuck with the language as well as the $ for the remainder of the five years. Then try to change for the positive, even with new leadership. But everything else in this country will have escalated to the point of not only will everyone need their wives to work but they will need a second job themselves.

Next time there is an opportunity to change the leadership we all better act like we know what we are doing.

We will only survive thru UNITY of purpose.

Not by luck, generosity of the employers or wishes.

I am you and you are me.

What is done to one is done to all

In my opinion a U/E driver will make meet and turns at night,the union says no but the contract doesnt say they cant.Why would they let a road driver bump the dock,unload and reload for 23.00 an hr when a 14.00 an hr casual wiil have the trailer loaded before the driver ever gets there,so the 23.00 an hr road driver can drop and hook and return to home domicile.The only way a U/E driver will be on the dock is after his turn he still has time left on his 8 hrs. Occassionally a U/E driver will P/D going and coming.

Utility

As with any language the company will try to squeeze every interpretation they can to their advantage. If I was road I'd be sweating, not to mention I'm city and am apprehensive. Utility could very well the begining of the end unless we band together
and hold them to the EXACT letter of the language at all times and in all instances.

If they add more to that UE board you would still have the op to go on the board?
SS,
If they add to the UE jobs it will be bid just the same as it was originally. Say you had 4 the first time....now they add 3 more....the process reopens for the 3 new UE jobs....road, city, dock w/CDL, whoever.

According to BA when U/E position opens up for the first time the road is the only one that can bid the position.Then next bid time it is a city bid and only city can bid on U/E position.If road driver takes U/E bid then he could get bumped into city next bid time.

The road has a 1 time oppurtunity for U/E position. The only way he can ever bid U/E position again is if a new U/E poition is added to board.Who knows Ive heard other locals interpret it differently.Im sure the company will try to set precedence on how it will work.

According to BA when U/E position opens up for the first time the road is the only one that can bid the position.Then next bid time it is a city bid and only city can bid on U/E position.If road driver takes U/E bid then he could get bumped into city next bid time.
Not here in LO, everybody can bid on any new UE job. If there are 4 posted here in April 2008 then seniority gets them. In October 2008 if there are still only 4 total UE's for bid then only the current people on the city board can bid on them and seniority still rules just like always. If next April 2009 they add 1 more UE bid for a total of 5 then everybody, city and road can bid on that 1 new UE bid. That's the way it is in LO, so the local has told us anyway.

You are right. The road man is going to lose runs if city man takes a UE position.
The city man is going to lose work if the road man takes UE position.
They were telling us at first it would be new freight for the UE position. Now it could be any and all freight.

The city guys are getting the crappy end of the stick. City guys can not bump to the road with his or her seniority. Where the road guys can.

City guys will lose work and their seniority.

A lot of guys got scared that they would lose their jobs. We could have got a contract out of them that would have been good for us all.

We should have never given up anything that guys fault for through the years. Ask any X Preston drivers about given back to Yellow.
If YRC was going to fold there was nothing we could do about it.

Still makes me sick that this passed.
I think you're right that all frt. WILL eventually become Utility frt. That is their goal. I do wish that it was the same for city and linehaul for keeping seniority or losing it. That rule should be the same either way. About the CITY getting the crappy end of the stick......I am more concerned for the linehaul. I feel that there will be many instances that they will have to change classifications against their will. I don't like that. (I am CITY) I can't speak for other barns, but I don't think our terminal will even be recognizable when this all shakes out. We will be all mixed together. And worse of all, the seniority lists will be all shuffled around. Just my opinion.:hide:

As with any language the company will try to squeeze every interpretation they can to their advantage. If I was road I'd be sweating, not to mention I'm city and am apprehensive. Utility could very well the begining of the end unless we band together
and hold them to the EXACT letter of the language at all times and in all instances.
You are right on their interpretations. They will use all of it to their advantage. But, the problem with holding them to the EXACT letter is going to be tough, because there are so many EXACT letters missing. This is just another article in the contract that is like "SWISS CHEESE", It's got holes all over in it.:Poke:

I like most things in this contract. From the wage increases, benefits staying solid, most work rules being fair for both sides, and many other articles. HOWEVER, I voted NO because of this U/E language (or the lack there of) and it's uncertainties. Based on these comments that we all have and the differences in what we have heard, I voted correctly. But, the majority has spoken, And I will live with the consequences. I just can't believe that we have so many interpretations.:holysheep:

lets see ,remember hearing of a tenetive agreement in early december 07. and remember hearing the details will all be released after the 2 man meetings the second week of jan08. how much time has passed from then and now and with all the unknowns, this contract passed .what a joke .our union officials came back to us with not 1 answer to all of these questions at our meeting.and today still cant answer definitly any thing other than when it goes into effect and when it will end .what is up with that it is not just my local it is all of them. knowbody knows anything we were told we can grieve all of these matters when they arise in the future ???. still find it hard to accept that so many voted yes to this joke knowing nothing about it .... now thanks to your stupidy we will all suffer the results .thanks again

lets see ,remember hearing of a tenetive agreement in early december 07. and remember hearing the details will all be released after the 2 man meetings the second week of jan08. how much time has passed from then and now and with all the unknowns, this contract passed .what a joke .our union officials came back to us with not 1 answer to all of these questions at our meeting.and today still cant answer definitly any thing other than when it goes into effect and when it will end .what is up with that it is not just my local it is all of them. knowbody knows anything we were told we can grieve all of these matters when they arise in the future ???. still find it hard to accept that so many voted yes to this joke knowing nothing about it .... now thanks to your stupidy we will all suffer the results .thanks again
Your last statement....."your stupidity". I hope you meant "their " not "your". :1036316054:

4 Hour Casuals

Sounds like local 705 guys are having a negotiation meeting on 3/18/08. Something you may want to discuss at the meeting is this CONTRACT LANGUAGE. "The employer shall use four (4) hour casuals to perform dock work only unless the Local Union agrees otherwise." I recommend letting your Local Union know that you don't want them to agree to anything other than DOCK WORK ONLY. Otherwise, the 4 hour dudes will be in the trucks also. Just a thought.:1036316054: