XPO | 1001 ways to get fired.

How many times have you been on the dock??
On the dock? A couple thousand. Worked the dock? a couple hundred. Are you saying a running forklift is not unsafe? It's not hard for someone to hit it and knock it into gear. I've seen it happen. It is all of our duties to address this type of unsafe behavior so all of us can return home safely each day. If you don't believe that then I don't want you working along side me.

On the dock? A couple thousand. Worked the dock? a couple hundred. Are you saying a running forklift is not unsafe? It's not hard for someone to hit it and knock it into gear. I've seen it happen. It is all of our duties to address this type of unsafe behavior so all of us can return home safely each day. If you don't believe that then I don't want you working along side me.
I did a quick calculation and have been on the dock over 4 thousand times easy, mostly fac and i don't ever see anybody turn there forklift off when they jump off and walk 20 ft to get a piece off plywood or walk 10 ft into a trailer to put rack's up or down ect ect. I have seen people hit forklifts, never seen one get hit and knocked into gear If the parking brake is on, it won't matter if it's in gear.

I did a quick calculation and have been on the dock over 4 thousand times easy, mostly fac and i don't ever see anybody turn there forklift off when they jump off and walk 20 ft to get a piece off plywood or walk 10 ft into a trailer to put rack's up or down ect ect. I have seen people hit forklifts, never seen one get hit and knocked into gear If the parking brake is on, it won't matter if it's in gear.

I'd still rather error on the side of caution. Ask the people in LSX if they ever thought they would see someone die on the dock. My goal is to get EVERYONE home safe everyday. If it means addressing someones potentially unsafe behavior I WILL do it.

the only way to not get fired is to stand by (as many do)and watch the rest of us work.the guys in the trenches doing the work each day will easily accumulate more bucket points than the clowns who do nothing.yet we still do it?why?while these morons stand around engaged in conversation when will laziness result in a bucket point?its the same guys everyday and nobody notices.

the only way to not get fired is to stand by (as many do)and watch the rest of us work.the guys in the trenches doing the work each day will easily accumulate more bucket points than the clowns who do nothing.yet we still do it?why?while these morons stand around engaged in conversation when will laziness result in a bucket point?its the same guys everyday and nobody notices.
I second that!!!

If you don't see the inherent danger of a running forklift unattended you need to have your head examined.
well,let's see,during the winter months all 75 of our forklifts are started and left running with nobody around to get ready for the fac,who gets the strike,guess it's the scm,it's happened EVERYDAY in the winter EVERY year,guess it's ok for some ,but not for others

:Rulz:
well,let's see,during the winter months all 75 of our forklifts are started and left running with nobody around to get ready for the fac,who gets the strike,guess it's the scm,it's happened EVERYDAY in the winter EVERY year,guess it's ok for some ,but not for others
I think what whiteshirt is going to say is the policy states anytime you get off your forklift it is to be turned off. That's it in a nutshell. I had never even heard that before, but I asked an fos last night and he said that some places are starting to enforce that and that some fom's were walking around telling guy's to turn off their forklift. I'm sure whiteshirt will addresse "the inherent danger of running a forlift unattended" because you guy's sound like you are being really un-safe:Rulz:

:Rulz:I think what whiteshirt is going to say is the policy states anytime you get off your forklift it is to be turned off. That's it in a nutshell. I had never even heard that before, but I asked an fos last night and he said that some places are starting to enforce that and that some fom's were walking around telling guy's to turn off their forklift. I'm sure whiteshirt will addresse "the inherent danger of running a forlift unattended" because you guy's sound like you are being really un-safe:Rulz:

Shutting off equipment if you're more than 20 feet away if an OSHA rule.I think it's a bit over kill but you never know.

OK fair enough, So what happenned in LSX?

A weights and measures inspector on the dock was killed in San Antonio when a piece of freight fell on her. Apparently she was standing under a skid of something and either the guy operating the forklift didn't realize it or someone hit the forklift knocking the freight off. Either way, it killed her instantly. Afterward, we completely changed how we do weights and measures at our barn. We cordoned off an area of the dock to drop off freight flagged for inspection. Once it's been inspected, they put a green cone on top of it w/ the bill and the next guy w/ empty forks is supposed to grab it, scan it, and load it. If it's over 5 skids, we have to call our weights and measures inspector over , he puts a rope across the trailer, and once he's done inspecting it, you go about your business.

A weights and measures inspector on the dock was killed in San Antonio when a piece of freight fell on her. Apparently she was standing under a skid of something and either the guy operating the forklift didn't realize it or someone hit the forklift knocking the freight off. Either way, it killed her instantly. Afterward, we completely changed how we do weights and measures at our barn. We cordoned off an area of the dock to drop off freight flagged for inspection. Once it's been inspected, they put a green cone on top of it w/ the bill and the next guy w/ empty forks is supposed to grab it, scan it, and load it. If it's over 5 skids, we have to call our weights and measures inspector over , he puts a rope across the trailer, and once he's done inspecting it, you go about your business.

That sounds like how it should have been done in the first place. I know working the dock at my fac you had to have an extra eyeball out for the inspectors.

That sounds like how it should have been done in the first place. I know working the dock at my fac you had to have an extra eyeball out for the inspectors.
Exactly, I don't know how many times I have come into a trailer and an inspector will be up in the trailer, climbing over racks, freight ect. I remember hearing about that in LSX now and discussing it with some other drivers and they thought the same thing. The inspectors should stay out of the trailers and wait until we get the freight out of the trailer before they start to inspect it, safety first

Yeah, I like how they've changed things at our yard, and we only have one inspector to keep an eye out for. Makes it a lot safer.

nncnwydude said:
Yeah, I like how they've changed things at our yard, and we only have one inspector to keep an eye out for. Makes it a lot safer.

I take it they layed off some of the inspectors there?

What is wrong with a little nap now and then ?
Oldtimer, I don't know if you still read the boards or not, but here is my answer.
There is nothing wrong with a nap.
4 and 1/2 years retired from Conway, I still enjoy my naps!
Now more than ever.
We have a date to go to the beer parlor with my wife as our DD, we just need to set the date.
Day time, afternoon or evening, it is all good with me.
I will give you a call and set it up.
Afternoon would probably be best so that my wife can pick us up after work and deliver our drunk asses home.
I am goingi on vacation from 03/12/2014-03/18/2014.
It will be sometime after that vacation.
I wouldn'nt mind if our mutual buddy was there' You know who I mean, MR. GMC.
I will call you.
Your friend, Longtimeltl.

:Rulz:I think what whiteshirt is going to say is the policy states anytime you get off your forklift it is to be turned off. That's it in a nutshell. I had never even heard that before, but I asked an fos last night and he said that some places are starting to enforce that and that some fom's were walking around telling guy's to turn off their forklift. I'm sure whiteshirt will addresse "the inherent danger of running a forlift unattended" because you guy's sound like you are being really un-safe:Rulz:

Where is this guy, Rat, CnywayConvict?