SAIA | $$$$$$$

actually, 3 pups and 2 city tractors were stolen from Aus on Saturday night. the 3 pups had Dell freight. I went through there sunday to take a set to dls and was told the above by the terminal mgr. Sad scenerio when you consider $$$ spent on elect fence, video monitoring of the terminal from various angles. Guess maybe a guard is next similar to the Larado terminal

I work for FDXNL (WATKINS) and dell used to be one of our larger accounts. We'd see at least 2 sets a day at our barn. I remember the origin was AUS. We used to get it broken down but then it came all palletized. I don't see to much of it anymore I guess you guys are hauling it now? Just curious...c ya

I work for FDXNL (WATKINS) and dell used to be one of our larger accounts. We'd see at least 2 sets a day at our barn. I remember the origin was AUS. We used to get it broken down but then it came all palletized. I don't see to much of it anymore I guess you guys are hauling it now? Just curious...c ya

Yeah. If it's a inside delivery Saia will go after it. That's the kind of freight they love. Problem is, they don't chatge for inside delivery. They are just trying to make new friends by showing how nice their drivers can be.:1036316054:

what good is a suckurity guard if they sleep all nite and verify nothing that we pull...... its even easier to verify seal numbers in daylight...... but they dont verify anything..... also would eliminate misspulls on trailers, but go figure..... we dont see the big picture..... mike tysons baby brother in clt eats more flies in the guard shack than a hungry frog!!!!

Streetclimber,

Why would it take a security guard making $6 per hour to prevent mispulls? I would think Saia would hire responsible adults who could check trailer numbers. As for the freight, trailers and tractors in Austin that came up missing I believe with the claim on that Saia could hire an ARMED security guard around the clock or at least when operations are closed. I think it is a securtiy issue having all that high value freight on the yard. I have one question, what would happen if a single line haul driver was on the yard when all that happened, does anyone believe he would be around to tell the police or would he be a chalk line in the parking lot.

If indeed these trailers were stolen, that linehaul driver that COULD have been there WOULD be chalk dust. And just so you know. Saia would NOT be responsible for this driver.

One might suspect that the possibility of an inside job. Austin isn't shy about the security precautions and if the terminal is dark then someone has to know something to access the terminal both at the gate and offices. As for the city tractors......lets say the thieves probably did the company a favor by taking those rolling junkyards.

Now about those mispulls,

Proceedure is spelled out in the line drivers handbook in regards to crosschecking trailer numbers, etc. If the proper items are visually checked then the chances of mispulls are greatly lessened.

As for security,

Who was the last to leave the yard and did was the gate closed properly and alarm set?

Does the Austin police require alarm verification before responding? Too many false alarms tend to dull the police response.

I have pulled up to that terminal more than once and the gate has not been set. Upon leaving, I have tried to set the gate only to have it not set...broken I suspect. Happens more often than not.

Same goes for the terminal 75 miles to the south....spend all that $$$$ on a security system, and it rarely is set, and is frquently broke. I have reported both gate issues in the past and nothing seems to get done. If I paid the $$$ saia paid for those systems they'd be in working order or TM would be bounced outta here.:hide:

Mike Tysons little bro sure gets around...seems I saw him in HST,NOL and DLS recently...(or was that Leon Spinks?)
The guards check NOTHING. They copy numbers off the bills and wave bye bye to you. We'd be better served by Barny Fife.

Very scary thought about what could have happened if a driver had been around back hooking a set when these guys came in. Thank God there wasn't.

I'll betcha that somebody(besides us) may not understand the alarm setting instructions. I ran into a similar deal 344 miles west/north of DLS. Goofed setting the alarm and other than the alarm making noise in the building no other response.

I don't know if what i was told was true!! They found the trucks and trailers in a pickle park!! Well Saia didn't a customer called them and said they were parked there!! From what i understand half the freight was gone!! I guess they could only get the freight that was on the ground and none from the cross bars!! I was told they have it all on film!! The last line driver left 5 minutes before it happened!! The thieves were wearing masks and cut the locks on the gate!! I don't know this to be 100% true but they guy who told me seems to be right most of the time!! Dang nothing like spreading gossip!!!

i have never misspulled any trailers!!! my reference to the guard checking seals is for a failsafe for the more inattentive drivers we have who dont check anything and need to be babysat, however, they do need to do something other than sleep!!!

We had a mispull this week, already. I know because I was given the privelege of relaying the trailers to the correct terminals. The lucky driver(not me) gets one day in the penalty box (suspension) plus if I understand correctly losing the pay for that run since the trailers did not arrive at the correct destination.

Check seals, checktrailer #'s twice before hooking and if all matches hook the set. What is so tough about that. Go back in and see dispatch if the seal # doesn't match