Yellow | 14 hour rule

fl33612

TB Lurker
Credits
if i punch in at 1:00 and work until 6:00 and puch out for lunch, which is 5 hours ( and now off duty) and puch in back at 6:50, and then work until 15:50. is that not 14 hours of on duty time? why is it i am told to hit the clock at 15:00, which i am only paid for 13.5 hrs. there are times when business dictates that a lunch break is not feasable and if i do not have a luch break i will be paid for 14hours. a little info, is that i have been laid off since 2008 and you guys that have much senortiy, to not have to worry about a layoff, try to put yourself in our position, that we put our best foot forward to help YRC survive. you make more in one 14 hour day than you can at retail for 40 hours.

The 14 hour clock starts when you start, nothing stops it except 10 hours off or in a sleeper. What time you are paid for has nothing to do with the regs, that's between you and your employer.

§395.3 Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles. Subject to the exceptions and exemptions in §395.1:

(a) No motor carrier shall permit or require any driver used by it to drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, nor shall any such driver drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle:

(a)(1) More than 11 cumulative hours following 10 consecutive hours off-duty; or

(a)(2) For any period after the end of the 14th hour after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty, except when a property-carrying driver complies with the provisions of §395.1(o) or §395.1(e)(2).

Part 395.3: Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

i am told to hit the clock

by the way you worded it, it sounds like you are at the terminal so not (( driving ))
The 14 hour rules only applies to (( driving )) you can't ((drive )) after being onduty 14 hours

there is an exception like say you are out on a regular run and under nomal conditions always make it back in less than 14 hours and JB Hunt crashes or some freak thing like that, you would be able to extend your day to 16 hours. If you where stopped and questioned the cop would be able to check on your story with ease and say ok driver, yes there was a wreck so go on your way.

It doesn't work to say you got caught in a snow storm because at time of dispatch the weather would be known and it would be assumed from the start you would encounter a delay during the trip or peddle run so bad weather isn't always an automatic excuse.

as far as being in the terminal, there is no limit, 20 hours straight or more as long as you don't (( drive )) until you are back within the limits.

It doesn't work to say you got caught in a snow storm because at time of dispatch the weather would be known and it would be assumed from the start you would encounter a delay during the trip or peddle run so bad weather isn't always an automatic excuse.

From the weather reports around here you'll never know what's going to happen, they're just good at telling you what happened yesterday:)

14 hours is 14 hours. Doesn't matter if a driver takes an hour lunch break. The time doesn't stop.

What , no hyperlink to an r.f.i.d. site? I would'nt have thougt you could make a post without out one! Or is school getting borrrrrrring?

All answers given are totally correct. IMO if you peddle 14hrs and let's say switcher does't show up and you want extra money you can work as long as you don't hit the street. But you will need 10hrs off after that to peddle PS I work at an EOL terminal most dock have no license and not combo. SR. MAN DO1 ROADTEAM trying to help you make money. we are not all gready as you implied.

§395.3 Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles. Subject to the exceptions and exemptions in §395.1:

(a) No motor carrier shall permit or require any driver used by it to drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle, nor shall any such driver drive a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle:

(a)(1) More than 11 cumulative hours following 10 consecutive hours off-duty; or

(a)(2) For any period after the end of the 14th hour after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty, except when a property-carrying driver complies with the provisions of §395.1(o) or §395.1(e)(2).

Part 395.3: Maximum driving time for property-carrying vehicles. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

by the way you worded it, it sounds like you are at the terminal so not (( driving ))
The 14 hour rules only applies to (( driving )) you can't ((drive )) after being onduty 14 hours

there is an exception like say you are out on a regular run and under nomal conditions always make it back in less than 14 hours and JB Hunt crashes or some freak thing like that, you would be able to extend your day to 16 hours. If you where stopped and questioned the cop would be able to check on your story with ease and say ok driver, yes there was a wreck so go on your way.

as far as being in the terminal, there is no limit, 20 hours straight or more as long as you don't (( drive )) until you are back within the limits.

You may extend your work day to 16 hours once per week provided that you begin and end your work day at the same location EVERY day. And that exception requires that the driver has duty hours available to allow for the additional 2 hours. There is no exception for inclement weather or any other occurences that causes a driver to drive after their 14th hour.

You may extend your work day to 16 hours once per week provided that you begin and end your work day at the same location EVERY day. And that exception requires that the driver has duty hours available to allow for the additional 2 hours. There is no exception for inclement weather or any other occurences that causes a driver to drive after their 14th hour.

Correct on all counts,Bag,but you did forget about the exception that does allow 1, 18 hr day in the event you come up on a situation,where a person is in need of help spreading out a 5 gallon pail of FK Gold,that could otherwise begin to set up within 20 minutes of opening the container,then,yes, you would be allowed to stop and assist him on the off duty line of your log,then back on the driving line after the job was finished.Entry should include part 400.1,emergency assistance enroute,per DOT regulations.

Correct on all counts,Bag,but you did forget about the exception that does allow 1, 18 hr day in the event you come up on a situation,where a person is in need of help spreading out a 5 gallon pail of FK Gold,that could otherwise begin to set up within 20 minutes of opening the container,then,yes, you would be allowed to stop and assist him on the off duty line of your log,then back on the driving line after the job was finished.Entry should include part 400.1,emergency assistance enroute,per DOT regulations.
Actually emergency assistance is On-Duty not driving, because it pertains to the driver's job. Roadway/YRC drivers would log it off duty, but Yellow/YRC drivers would log it On-Duty not driving and get paid for it. See, there's the difference. :hysterical:

Who in this great company is responsible for making sure drivers don't go over 14?
Our top girl regularly goes over 14 and then the eraser and re figiring and falsifing comes into play.

I cannot believe you even said that?Falsify a log?No way!That would be against the law.

Read the dot rules i posted you can only use the 16 hr rule working short haul.Must stay within 150 air miles = 177roadmiles. local work only.YRC is miss using the rule ask the dot.I did.

sandy pope

309 does not care what you do with your logs as long as you hav hours to work, so not to worry

That maybe the law but at Holland they told us that we are not to use this. The union is also saying this. What is real strange is that all that is printed on the back cover of our log books. Go figure.

Well, YRC won't allow the 34 hour restart. While I was laid off last year I used the 34 hour restart virtually every weekend and it worked great because I didn't have to worry about hours every day, I could truck hard all week and then be home on the weekend. Of course, getting back to the 14 hour rule, it works great to screw a driver out of a lunch because they gave you a long via, you waited too long in the shop, etc. But what do they care?