Yellow | 15 Called Back To Indy On Soft Layoff Then Put Back On Hard Layoff Sunday 2-24 @12:01

I know your upset about your future with a company that's losing hundred's of millions of dollars a quarter. I was not bashing a union when I replied to your post. All I was doing was pointing out was that our president doesn't have anything to do with what happens at YRC. Don't you understand he is more or less a figure head in this government. Your CEO and board members are the ones who you should blame. I do not want anyone to lose their jobs. That is a terrible this to have to start over not knowing where or when a job will come along. Life is too short to get your boxers in a wad. So do stop and smell the roses for your own good.

LOL, good catch. I'll never claim I give more than small amount of attention to spelling, when I post. If they move it, LOL, I'll jump out of the fire. Wouldn't want to get busted sneaking into the politics forum.

Let me clarify for those that don't already know as I've had a PM inquiry about it. I am not banned from the political or any other forum. Because a political issue can be traced in discussion backward for decades and is part of an administrations overall strategy, which is also relavent, as are the overall strategies of previous recent administrations, I have on many occaisions, had discussions that last minutes, hours, days and weeks. Usually until the other side fell over dead, LOL. Getting so actively involved in political discussion creates alot of tension w/mamma. As the saying goes, if she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Consequently, I'm not permitted to get actively involved in politically oriented discussions. When my mouth overrides my brain and I do make a comment, I chalk it up to window shopping and wait for the window shade to bounce off my head. :hide:

Team Cujo: Anything new at columbus?
I am laid off there and was curious.thanks.:smilie_132:

Same old stuff, out of drivers and working the dock 50 -60 hours weekly. Call Bud ro down at the hall and ask what shot you got at getting back. Good luck. Are you working anywhere now?

I know your upset about your future with a company that's losing hundred's of millions of dollars a quarter. I was not bashing a union when I replied to your post. All I was doing was pointing out was that our president doesn't have anything to do with what happens at YRC. Don't you understand he is more or less a figure head in this government. Your CEO and board members are the ones who you should blame. I do not want anyone to lose their jobs. That is a terrible this to have to start over not knowing where or when a job will come along. Life is too short to get your boxers in a wad. So do stop and smell the roses for your own good.

Do you know what forum your in? Please tell me what company is losing hundred's of millions of dollars a quarter.

Same old stuff, out of drivers and working the dock 50 -60 hours weekly. Call Bud ro down at the hall and ask what shot you got at getting back. Good luck. Are you working anywhere now?

Thanks for the update, bud ro said it dont
look good in the near future to get back.
Trying to stay positive though.Talked to a
couple guys that transfered from COL to CVE
and they said company had a short meeting
with their shift( both laid off road working dock)
and said there was a Coo coming up, but
would not discuss when or which terminals
would be affected.I was hoping someone from CVE would have posted something about this, but I know these guys well
enough to throw this out here for discussion.
I am not working at this time but am looking.

STl tried too call back 6 guys but was told no and on friday mornings conference call they were told to lay another 4 off And take all the soft lay off and reduce them to hard layoffs. Te foru they just laidoff are on hard layoff immediately. Awesome. I'm now looking for a job and they don't have enough drivers to haul the freight they have.

has anybody seen anything like this before? all the freight that i hear about having to sit!people working 50-60 hrs a week! soft layoff to hard layoff! people layed off then called back then layed off again ! iam really reaching for something to make sence!!!

has anybody seen anything like this before? all the freight that i hear about having to sit!people working 50-60 hrs a week! soft layoff to hard layoff! people layed off then called back then layed off again ! iam really reaching for something to make sence!!!

Yes, most have seen this before. It used to be normal procedure about every year, but the last few have been so good that we've become spoiled. Now, until the Middle East Terrorism is stabilized (Iran) the price of oil is rising (same as taxhikes would cause people to have less money to spend-- watch out for that when the Dems take the White House). People that have less spending power buy less. Less buying means less hauling. Less hauling means less workers needed. Trickle Down Economics, proven. Same thing that caused the economy to BOOM (more extra money in people's pockets) caused the economy to tank (less extra money in people's pockets). So we have to ride it out. We overhired before, now we're downsizing as the economy cuts out the extras.

Some of the loads CAN sit, as they are going to be dropped trailers (WalMarts, Targets, other warehouses, etc) with no due date. Those can be run at a later day, when there is less pressure, less "hot freight"-- days others are taking CCs. It's the way it works. That's not the answer you wanted, and I'm sorry. But it's the truth.

thanks jimmy for the insite,this is my first union job,worked for fxfe for 8 yrs.didnt have to go through any layoffs..i love my union job and all the people i work with,it justs makes me mad to hear all the things going on with the freight and the layoffs when it doesnt look like it has to be this way..but i also know that i dont see the big picture either.i just hope they know what there doing!!!

Jimmy,
I'm not so sure that the trickle down is trickling down at all now. We started laying off in July of 07 in STL. We also haven't hired a single road driver in about 28 months.

USFCincy,
It'll take time but things will get better....they sure can't get much worse. This is the worst I've ever seen freight in almost 22 years at Yellow. Keep this in mind for later......some guys will complain even when things are going great. Only then it'll be what a crummy truck they got last night, or that they got held in a motel for 14 hours, or they didn't get the run they wanted, or that some junior man got a 500 mile run 3 hours before their rest was up and even though they went out on their rest they only got a 450 mile run. Many years ago when a $900.00 gross paycheck was a big one we used to laugh at a few guys we had that were never happy no matter what. We always said that Yellow could have told them to stay home and they'd just send them a check for $850.00 every week.....their answer would have been....are you crazy? I could work 7 days and gross $1000.00......in other words, some people won't be happy no matter what. Sad but true.

USFCincy,
It'll take time but things will get better....they sure can't get much worse. This is the worst I've ever seen freight in almost 22 years at Yellow. Keep this in mind for later......some guys will complain even when things are going great. Only then it'll be what a crummy truck they got last night, or that they got held in a motel for 14 hours, or they didn't get the run they wanted, or that some junior man got a 500 mile run 3 hours before their rest was up and even though they went out on their rest they only got a 450 mile run. Many years ago when a $900.00 gross paycheck was a big one we used to laugh at a few guys we had that were never happy no matter what. We always said that Yellow could have told them to stay home and they'd just send them a check for $850.00 every week.....their answer would have been....are you crazy? I could work 7 days and gross $1000.00......in other words, some people won't be happy no matter what. Sad but true.

Thanks DUDE, Those are the words I am always thinking but can never get out!!:1036316054:

Shoe,
You're welcome. I'm not saying that there aren't some legitimate concerns right now. Nobody likes to be uncertain about their futures and earnings....especially in this day and age. But the constant rehashing of all the bad and predictions of disaster only make it all seem even worse than it is.

Shoe,
You're welcome. I'm not saying that there aren't some legitimate concerns right now. Nobody likes to be uncertain about their futures and earnings....especially in this day and age. But the constant rehashing of all the bad and predictions of disaster only make it all seem even worse than it is.

It reminds me of when i was a kid! My mom would always tell me she was worried about me! I told her "Mom, you're wasting half of your time! Half being worried about something happening, the other half worrying about it when it does happen." Seems to me you can just worry about it when it does happen!:1036316054:

USFCincy,
It'll take time but things will get better....they sure can't get much worse. This is the worst I've ever seen freight in almost 22 years at Yellow.

Sorry, I disagree. It was FAR worse after 9/11. No one really knew when the other shoe would drop, where the next attack would come. Yellow/Indy's Terminal is next to the airport, normally a plane every two minutes. The three days with no planes at all was eerie. Then the layoffs began, and the airlines needed bailed out. No one worked nationwide then. Now , shipper's are still shipping, just not on Yellow....

And, on the not hiring for 28 months ......when did Uncle Ralph come from us to you as TM???????? My guess would be about that time.......:hide: :hide:

Sorry, I disagree. It was FAR worse after 9/11. No one really knew when the other shoe would drop, where the next attack would come. Yellow/Indy's Terminal is next to the airport, normally a plane every two minutes. The three days with no planes at all was eerie. Then the layoffs began, and the airlines needed bailed out. No one worked nationwide then. Now , shipper's are still shipping, just not on Yellow....

And, on the not hiring for 28 months ......when did Uncle Ralph come from us to you as TM???????? My guess would be about that time.......:hide: :hide:
I don't think it was anywhere near this bad after 911. Yes, there were layoffs but nowhere near this many. Look around on the other Company Forums here.....they're all very slow. As far as Uncle Ralph goes, he has no control over LH, just the dock and city. The 5 LH Mgrs. of, IND, STL, MEM, NSH and CNC answer to Don M., from IND, whose title is something like Regional Operations Director....or something like that. He answers directly to Mitch L., the Reg. VP out of NSH. Ralph and Don are good friends though.

I have to agree with you stl, at least I was still working after 9/11. I have been with yellow 8 yrs at ind and have been laid off since Christmas. It's very slow.

I guess I still see things differently, since I was laid off after 9/11 and I'm not now. I DO know the Feds stepped in to bail out the airlines (very UNRepublike, but certainly necessary, or we'd all still be sitting; and there isn't a need to now)...

What I see, even the the other carriers have slowed, is that we've Stopped, not slowed. For example:

A year ago, we hauled a switch a day out of Marathon Electric. Now Fed Ex gets that. Three months ago, we hauled a switch, sometimes two, out of Federal Mogul. Now, P-Jax gets those two, sometimes three (last Friday). A year ago we got half a trailer a day out of Emerson Climate. Now Conway gets two switches a day, as does OverNite. We get a skid or two. A year ago we got 6-8 switches a day out of Belkin Wire. We had 5 drop-trailers there. Now we have one-- Old Dominion has four in the doors that used to be ours. Dayton Freight is building a Huge terminal across the street from Holland in Greenwood, In. Their drivers tell me they are planning to hire 40 more dock workers, and 100 more drivers by September when they move from Indy. Milan is picking up more; Saia has moved to town and is picking up , as is Pitt-Ohio, also new to Indy. The freight's still there-- just not on Yellow....We also lost two loads a day out of Random House Books because someone decided to deliver Oprah's books to Target early...

The biggest kick in the pants to me is; we used to haul two/three loads a day out of Indy Lighting. Now YRC still gets the revenue, but instead of Yellow, it goes on Roadway. And our salemen tell us they aren't allowed to underbid Holland or Roadway....

I also don't see freight not being serviced, and alot of freight is being routed through us instead of rfo, stl, lcp, etc but it only seems to kill off the trailer. We are working other breaks freight but have 30 laid off on the city.