FedEx Freight | 15 Minute pre trip?

Gaspump

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, i work for Freight and was told by a NAtional P&D driver in Cleveland tonight that they ar expecting you guys to be out of the yard with a complete pre trip within 15 minutes? Getting your paperwork, checking your load, pre tripping the tractor, then the trailer all within 15? That is unreal, unfair and illegal....Can someone please comment on this?...I suppose if its true, it wont be long till us freight guys are gonna hear the same thing. I am very interested to hear this...i struggle to make it out in 30 minutes and thats if everything goes perfect.....Has anyone else in the system experiencing this?..Thanks for your replies!!! :clap:

They pay us 30 minutes for a hook and pre-trip in linehaul. It was probably the local manager pushing the P&D guys.

It's been a long time since I did P&D. But, I was told to "walk with a purpose" and "do everything with a sense of urgency". I doubt, seriously that FedEx Freight adopts anything that National does. You are our role models! :biglaugh: We are suppose to do everything you guys do, and get paid less for it! Drop & hook pay, boot allowance, paid for fueling. Oh yeh, P&D doesn't fuel the trucks over here, cause they are on the clock. :nono: Quite often, P&D doesn't even dock their trailers, overtime, so they turn the key off on the ready line. Is it POST TRIPPED? YABBA DABBA DEW

Orlando fla expects you to punch in and be out the gate in 15 minutes with your loaded 53 ft trailer for PD delivery. I know, its BS..

it cant be done legally..or safely.....Maybe a safety person with absolutely no experience came up with that wacky idea.....

I don't see why you couldn't hook to a van and pre-trip in 15 minutes. It would take longer for a set of pups.

Heck, a majority of guys think a pre-trip consists of hooking the lines and cranking up the dolly legs anyway.

It takes 15min to find a truck! another 20min to find a pallet jack (if needed) and atleast five for the 400lbs guard to check everybody out. Not to mention checking your freight for misloads or damage. I think your buddy heard wrong, maybe they want you logged on the intermec in 15min. there's no way natl is 15 and freight is 30. At a hub your lucky to do it in 30, especially when you have 10 or more guys starting at the same time. Unless you wanna be one of those guys that hook off the clock

[quote author=sharpshooter link=topic=82726.msg855523#msg855523 date=1281123331]
It takes 15min to find a truck! another 20min to find a pallet jack (if needed) and atleast five for the 400lbs guard to check everybody out. Not to mention checking your freight for misloads or damage. I think your buddy heard wrong, maybe they want you logged on the intermec in 15min. there's no way natl is 15 and freight is 30. At a hub your lucky to do it in 30, especially when you have 10 or more guys starting at the same time. Unless you wanna be one of those guys that hook off the clock
[/quote]
I almost fell off my chair laughing when i read this one!great post......they can make all the rules they want,and if it cant be done-oh well.Its like the lunch rule between 3rd and 6th hour.We got the notice about it,but when i asked my dispatcher about it he said write it down that way,but take it at the end of the day when all the works done!!!! what a bunch of b.s.

Over here at Freight we have those gate readers and a time stamp on our dispatch. I look at the time stamp on my dispatch when i get my bills, and if the time printed is less than 30 minutes before my gate time I am gonna be late. I figure with the surveillance cameras everywhere (which can be evidence in an accident investigation) I am just covering my rear end by doing a full pre-trip inspection. It is not my fault that I was not given 30 minutes to hook and pre-trip. But, they really don't like it.TOO BAD.

Sharpshooter, National expects you out the gate in 15 Minutes. They are not able to write you up for it but they are on you like stink until you comply to there demands. I have worked for National and Freight and I can tell you National is a ball buster.

As far as the line department all that is required is u be out the gate on or before ur depart time. If it takes u a hour to hook and do a pretrip then so be it. If they give you your paperwork 30 mintues before depart time I would do the hook and a quickie light check while checking my seals/locks and make sure I dispatched myself on time, then I would report any maintence problems etc flat tires. Its all about leaving on time and the hell with saftey first. Had a hour discussion with our Regional Safety Man about this. His bottom line is when u go out that gate its on You. Talked about being paid for Pre and Post Inspections. He said it doesnt matter if he pays us 15 mins, or an hour, will we do it? Everyone does it to their liking and no matter how good it is the bottom line, when you go out the gate its on You.