TForce | 16 bucks to start really?????

This pay would be great if you work in a terminal that actually has work! I have two months to go till top rate and I don't know if I can hold on here. First year I worked pretty steady and made $39K, Second year we lost three runs and got a contractor and I barely worked 160 days the whole year and made 40K.

This year the worst yet. Been working 1 or 2 days a week since Jan. This time of the year should be balls out and we have city guys not working everyday as well as me. I am at the bottom and nobody quits here so not much of a future anytime soon. We lost most of our buisenes and no one seems to care. I hate to throw it all away to find a full time steady job but now I am in the position where I might have to without a choice.

So make sure their is work at the terminal you go to before you take the job.

Hmmmm.......My first union city driving job in upstate NY,way back in 1966 was a messily $3.67 per hour,time and a 1/2 after 40 hours per week.

Yes back then the union paid much more than any non-union trucking jobs.
But gas was less than $0.50 a gallon,I bought my first brand new car a 1967 Firebird convertible when they first came out.
My payments were only $98.98 a month for 3 years.
So yes back in the day the union pay was very good,as the pay check stretched a lot farther then it does now days at the current rate.
Well simply because the cost of living is a lot higher now,than back in the day!

This pay would be great if you work in a terminal that actually has work! I have two months to go till top rate and I don't know if I can hold on here. First year I worked pretty steady and made $39K, Second year we lost three runs and got a contractor and I barely worked 160 days the whole year and made 40K.

This year the worst yet. Been working 1 or 2 days a week since Jan. This time of the year should be balls out and we have city guys not working everyday as well as me. I am at the bottom and nobody quits here so not much of a future anytime soon. We lost most of our buisenes and no one seems to care. I hate to throw it all away to find a full time steady job but now I am in the position where I might have to without a choice.

So make sure their is work at the terminal you go to before you take the job.

A Road guy just quit in Philly.As far as I know they kept him fairly busy.
I am not sure how far you are from there.

I agree with your advice but i would have to drop 7 bucks an hour from what i make now thats atleast 1,000 a month and i have a family,mortgage,car payment ect.its just to much to drop.I cant come home and say honey lets sell the house and move into a trailer for 3 yrs and then buy it back!!:chairshot:

Do NOT come to work here.You're whining already and haven't even applied for the job.We've got enough people like you already.

Well, I'm years past top scale, well above the middle of the board, and I work 2 days a week. And not by choice mind you. But when I'm hooking up, for my only trip of the week, I witness 5+ contractors leaving out, with KC, CMS, HRS, SOH, GAF, ect... So the work is here, just not using us to pull it.

Well, I'm years past top scale, well above the middle of the board, and I work 2 days a week. And not by choice mind you. But when I'm hooking up, for my only trip of the week, I witness 5+ contractors leaving out, with KC, CMS, HRS, SOH, GAF, ect... So the work is here, just not using us to pull it.

As far as I am concerned this is the MAJOR issue that has to addressed in the next contract! I'm in the same boat brother

Oh yeah that's right or vacation
Actually I am in my third year and may not work 156 days this year so I won't get a vacation or holidays next year- either all due to a damn contractor

Well, when you finally get vacation, you will have to use it all up to cover your runs they cut every freakin holiday.

All you whiners complaining,have any of you ever volunteered to work on a Saturday or Sunday?
How about all the extraboard drivers that work Mon. thru Fri. and won't answer their phone after midnite on Friday?
There is TONS of money to be made here(always has been in my 17 years of working here)but,you got to be available when the freight needs to be moved,not when you want to work.If you want to work "normal" hours,go work in a factory.
Even though I have a schedule and don't have to wait by the phone anymore(believe me,I did)if I know they need freight moved on the weekends and I want a little extra money,I sign up to work.The weekend is when you can make big bucks if you're a newbie.And,anymore,if you've got less than 7 or 8 years in,you are a newbie weather you like it or not.
Just do what they ask of you,that's all.

I also witnessed this about 28 years ago in HRS, My run was cancelled do to this problem. This contractor issue is not a new problem. The amount of contractors they use is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you half to do a 3 year pay tear... with out paid holidays????? I'm guessing not... If not you have absolutely no input in the Conversation....