FedEx Freight | 16 hour rule

Sall back

TB Lurker
Credits
So I was getting close to my 11 hours of drive and I called cox and they told me because of the storm that they could give me 2 extra hours of drive time to make it to my home domicile. I thought that rule was just to increase on duty time and also just to get to a safe haven location? What's the real answer?

Yes, in times of major storms like that, you can drive an extra 2 hours to either finish or find a place to stop,

That's the way I understand it too. I thought you could never exceed 11 hours of drive time even with the 16 hour rule. You are also allowed to get to the next safe haven, not necessarily your home terminal. Then again I have had Central tell me anything to get the freight back to the terminal.

I found this site. Apparently the 16 hour rule and the adverse weather rule are 2 different animals. Hours of Service Regulations - A Review of the Hours of Service Rules
The adverse weather rule still only allows 2 hours extra to reach a safe place for you and the cargo, not necessarily back to the home terminal. I think the 16 hour rule is for "us" who are on a system where we start and stop at the same terminal everyday, and the adverse weather rule is for over the road or laydown runs where you don't start and stop at the same terminal. Any other thoughts from other members?

The 16 hour rule allows you 2 extra work hours providing you haven't used said rule in the last 7 days and you haven't used your 11 hours of drive time. YOU CANNOT EXCEED 11 HOURS OF DRIVING USING THE 16 HOUR DAY RULE. Also, ADVERSE DRIVING CONDITION rule allows you 2 extra hours of drive time to find a safe haven OR complete the days run WITHOUT GOING OVER your 14 hours ON DUTY (this is only allowed for BAD WEATHER or SEVERE ACCIDENT DELAY).

A couple of winters ago down here in the Balmy south. We made our usual trek towards Memphis in the ice and snow, well mainly ice. A shiney wheel driver ran out of hours and was going to park on the shoulder of the road and a state trooper told him to keep driving until he could get off the highway. Remember if you are at your home domicile and are out of drive hours do not let central tell you or try to give you an extension as it will bite you in the backside. When this rule first came out a lot of centers who ran city drivers during the day and then sent them to the hub tried to give them the 16 hour extension every day. Make sure you read what it says and follow what it says. If you get stopped and you are out of hours, it might be the last time you drive for the Purple Promise.

nI just found it on the fmcsa website. You can use the adverse weather condition rule which if you're in bad weather you can be extended 2 hours to make it to your home domicile or reach a safe place to take 10 hours off duty. You just have to be done in your 14. So that's official and if I wasn't a dumb truck driver I'd put a link on here but I can't figure it out. Okay well goodnight Fred and bill and all you red shirts. I'm sure I will be dreaming of all the ways I could be written up for in the next couple weeks.

Also remember that the 16 hour rule does NOT apply if the dispatcher new about the bad weather prior to you leaving the terminal. Here is the wording from the FMCSA.......Adverse driving conditions means snow, sleet, fog, other adverse weather conditions, a highway covered with snow or ice, or unusual road and traffic conditions, none of which were apparent on the basis of information known to the person dispatching the run at the time it was begun.
(b) Driving conditions -(1)Adverse driving conditions. Except as provided in paragraph (h)(2) of this section, a driver who encounters adverse driving conditions, as defined in §395.2,and cannot, because of those conditions, safely complete the run within the maximum driving time permitted by §§395.3(a) or 395.5(a) may drive and be permitted or required to drive a commercial motor vehicle for not more than 2 additional hours beyond the maximum time allowed under §§395.3(a) or 395.5(a) to complete that run or to reach a place offering safety for the occupants of the commercial motor vehicle and security for the commercial motor vehicle and its cargo.

This does NOT mean Dallas can jerk you around for 5 hrs and then make you extend to get home.

Sailback & Lee have it. 16 hour rule only allows 10 hour drive time. Thats only allowed once per week, and only if you're dispatched & returning to your home terminal. 2 hour drive time extension only allowed in unexpected bad weather, but has to be done in 14 hours.

Yes, in times of major storms like that, you can drive an extra 2 hours to either finish or find a place to stop,

No you can not. Only if the storm is not expected then you can go to the next safe haven and your done. The 16hr rule only extends your work hours by 2hrs once a week it has nothing to do with your driving hours.

You can extend your driving hours only if you could have made it within the normal amount of time under normal conditions.

You can extend your driving hours only if you could have made it within the normal amount of time under normal conditions.

That is not right, that was for unexpected weather condition. Now days you know unlike back in the day when you couldn't get the info out on the road, and if anything its to get to the nearest safe haven and thats it

Sailback & Lee have it. 16 hour rule only allows 10 hour drive time. Thats only allowed once per week, and only if you're dispatched & returning to your home terminal. 2 hour drive time extension only allowed in unexpected bad weather, but has to be done in 14 hours.

And you have the most inaccurate post so far! Congrats.

You're the one who is not right. You CAN extend up to 2 hours of driving to either reach a safe place to stop or FINISH your run. Read my previous post on this subject. The wording I used was not mine. It came straight from the little green book. However you are right in one sense. It must be an unexpected issue. Such as a freak weather occurrence or traffic tie up of some sort. in 27 yrs of driving trucks I've never had an UNexpected weather issue.

You guys kill me. It's right on the website. It says you can get 2 hours to complete your run or find a safe haven, in that order.