XPO | 16 hr rule: Real or Fantasy

BigJ

TB Lurker
Credits
Just out of curiosity. I just starting running some line haul runs and I have heard from several people that the 16 hr rule was a company rule and not a legal law. Im just curious if this is a real law or just made up from the pits of conway. I have asked people that have talked to dps officers and they said that if you get pulled over you will still be put on the side of the road with a hefty ticket for working over 14hrs. This is our lively hoods why would conway try to mess with that? if anyone has an answer i would love it.

Instead of asking a bunch of internet truck drivers, call or stop at your local DOT and ask them. I believe it is all in how you interpret what you read in the rule book.

Just out of curiosity. I just starting running some line haul runs and I have heard from several people that the 16 hr rule was a company rule and not a legal law. Im just curious if this is a real law or just made up from the pits of conway. I have asked people that have talked to dps officers and they said that if you get pulled over you will still be put on the side of the road with a hefty ticket for working over 14hrs. This is our lively hoods why would conway try to mess with that? if anyone has an answer i would love it.

It is a weather exception rule but con-way had one of the rocket scientist executives see this as a way to use it in one of the "gray area" part of con-ways rules ... there are other threads to dig up and read about the so called 16 hour rule ... an FOS is actually suppose to call linehaul to see if it is ok to make a dsr use the 16 hour rule .. that also is a slippery slope also .. a linehaul co-ordinator will follow company guidelines rather than the law .. I will find another thread to help answer your question

I found something dockworker posted about 2 months ago .. hope this helps

Here is a link that should answer all of your questions.
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)

16-HOUR EXCEPTION

Look at your Federal Motor Carrier safety regulation handbook part395.1

It's the real deal, not something made up by Con-Way.

However, in order to invoke it, you have to meet a few conditions.

1) You must begin and end your day in the same place.

2) You must not have had any log violations the previous week.

3) You can only do this once per week.

I know because I do this rather frequently.

It is a weather exception rule but con-way had one of the rocket scientist executives see this as a way to use it in one of the "gray area" part of con-ways rules ... there are other threads to dig up and read about the so called 16 hour rule ... an FOS is actually suppose to call linehaul to see if it is ok to make a dsr use the 16 hour rule .. that also is a slippery slope also .. a linehaul co-ordinator will follow company guidelines rather than the law .. I will find another thread to help answer your question

I found something dockworker posted about 2 months ago .. hope this helps

The inclement weather is a seperate monster then this...

And you must be driving crossing over the 14th hour for this to be considered the 16 hour, one week extention...in other words...if you back at your terminal in say 13.55hours into your shift, and start dropping your set at 14.01..then it does not count as the 16 hour ext...

I also appreciate the replies...the reason that I asked the question is because that I knew that someone here would be able to help. I did call dot and they had me leave a message in which i never heard back from anybody. Thanks for the info again.

Sling Blade is absolutely right on the money with his answer. Yes, it is the actual law, not something Conway put through their own cooker. Though it wouldn't surprise me to see management abuse it.

This is how we do it at fedex freight.:1036316054:

I called the va dot and was told it is legal for us to do the 16 hr. rule once a week. as long as you don't drive over your 11 hrs and don't go over your 70 or 60 which ever you are doing. He told me that a driver that runs out and turns every nite to his original domicile can use this rule. hope this helps

I also appreciate the replies...the reason that I asked the question is because that I knew that someone here would be able to help. I did call dot and they had me leave a message in which i never heard back from anybody. Thanks for the info again.

Do a google search for USDOT and they have an excellent HOS FAQ...you can also research into the rules yourself outside of the FAQ...

I just have one question regarding the 16 hour extension, can it be used to simply work more hours, such as dock work, or is it only supposed to be for random occurances, such as a vehicle break down, traffic, etc.?

Conway at ULA used to frequently expect all drivers to use their extension, (as long as it was available), on Friday's so they could squeeze an extra 2 hours of dock work out of us, but then they stopped doing that, and I once heard a manager say they weren't supposed to be doing that.

It would make more sense to save the extension for an unexpected incident, but you all know how managers are.