Holland | 179 Joliet Terminal

Unionist

TB Lurker
Credits
Did Holland really threaten you with closing the terminal if you didn't vote yes on your contract?

And if they did , you believed them?

Not True...

Did Holland really threaten you with closing the terminal if you didn't vote yes on your contract?

And if they did , you believed them?
Not true at all. Keep that in mind in reguards to future statements from your source(s). The company said NOTHING to us at all, unlike last contract when they were openly campaigning for it, and threatened to take the west coast freight away, which they ended up doing anyway (good riddance). The union basically said the rest of the country has already agreed to it (wages, EU, casuals), and if we don't accept it the international could (meaning would) come in and force us underneath the master. They were saying there was no way Hoffa would let us undermine the national and make him look bad. And since we do have some restrictions that the national does not have, the barn figured it was the best we could get. And keep in mind, we would also get any monetary improvements that the other Chicagoland locals negotiate, due to a "me-too" clause that was in there. I couldn't vote for it due to the underpaid, no benefit casuals (IE: s.cabs), but the barn did as a whole.

Teamster02

Thanks, that was a rumor I had heard some time ago and thought I would ask.

Its time for the membership of all of our locals to tell hoffa what we think. He has done nothing for any Teamster I can see except undermine all of us. All he seems to care about is collecting his portion of our dues from all of our respective locals.

Not only that he just gave himself a $78,000.00 raise. Not to mention padding his expenses he is reimbursed for.
What a guy huh!

It is time for a change. We need to put someone into office that truly has our best interests in their heart. Not someone that has NEVER actually been a Teamster, but has only paid $ dues. In this day and age last names are unimportant. His especially.

The local heads that are in bed with hoffa and agree to everything he puts out so they can keep their sweet jobs and two (2) pensions. Should know that after the screwing hoffa and they themselves gave us all, that we are looking for new blood from the ranks to replace them. And whomever he/she is they do not need experience just a true heart. And I am not talking about Leadham.

If as true Teamsters we do not get over the ga,ga of a last name, we will soon be better off at non-union jobs because if we let hoffa and his ilk continue. The non-union jobs will be paying more $ with better benefits.

Do not get me wrong I am a 28 year all in 705 member and I will die as that. I mention the non-unions strictly to get peoples attention.

And to begin a National dialog about the Teamster future.

I also am not talking about Flynn, Coli, White, Hall or ANY current official at the international level or locally. Taking national prominence. They are the same ol' same ol'.

Because if they haven't had the guts to stand up to hoffa and his bull s--t way of being, I, for one do not want them after he is gone in some newly adopted suit of, "Hey, look at me I'm the one to take the Teamsters forward". Because if he/she had any ideas they probably wouldn't belong to them anyway.

Sorry to have gone off on that tangent.

And what's with the add ons all of these suburban locals agreements in the Chicago area have "If 705 gets more $ so do we".

Get some balls and fight for what you deserve.

We ain't your mom, "GET OFF THE TeeT".

Trying to get what others are willing to sacrifice for, but YOU are not, is chicken sh-t
Those leaderships are obviously limp because they didn't even ask for anything outside of the NMFA, they just did what hoffa told them to do. Not only that but by doing what they did, got in bed with the employers against 705.Their BROTHER TEAMSTERS.

If all you are is a follower, they will lead you where THEY want to go . Not where YOU want to go.

If you are a leader YOU decide the path to our future, not them. Would you rather be in the back seat? Or Driving. Its up to you!

If we ALL, including our leadership/s live by these thoughts. We will survive and we will flourish as UNION men and women.
With a strong future for our children and those who come after us.

"Each individual MUST be willing to sacrifice for the good of the whole"

"Those that came before us got us where we are, it is up to us, to protect this job for those that come after us"

If any Teamster member can't live these creeds EVERY day then they should go elsewhere, because they obviously don't get what it means to be a TEAMSTER.

Unionist, please post messages, don't write novels, besides, what are you talking about man.

ha,ha

Unionist, please post messages, don't write novels, besides, what are you talking about man.

If you aren't interested in whats going on and what people think about our industry, conditions, not to mention the state of the union as relates to our leadership or LACK of
WHY are you here?

And if you don't understand what was said,I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe you would be better off on the Home Shopping site?

Good Luck!
I see your rep is in the negative.

WHY is that?

Unionist you are correct....

Our members in 179 should have held out for more.....most of the guys here voted yes and didn't even understand the contract they were voting on. Now we've got grievances left and right because these guys are not happy with their "new contract"! We were actually lucky to get the first one voted down though---we got about 31 guys here that vote YES every time no matter what. :chairshot:

Our members in 179 should have held out for more.....most of the guys here voted yes and didn't even understand the contract they were voting on. Now we've got grievances left and right because these guys are not happy with their "new contract"! We were actually lucky to get the first one voted down though---we got about 31 guys here that vote YES every time no matter what. :chairshot:
I think we have about 31 guys here that vote YES every time, no matter what, also. The unfortunate part is that we only have about 34 guys total.:hysterical: Oh ya, that was before the layoffs, now we have only 22 total.:nutkick:

I think we have about 31 guys here that vote YES every time, no matter what, also. The unfortunate part is that we only have about 34 guys total.:hysterical: Oh ya, that was before the layoffs, now we have only 22 total.:nutkick:
I assume your trying to be funny....it's not working! About 140 and more by the week. Hollandman73, as I'm sure you know, the grievances are from the company trying to exploit what they can out of the new language, and was expected considering the a**holes in mgmt we are dealing with. And by the way, the 31 guys that always vote yes, are probably the top 31 guys that have been catered to since day 1, and don't give a crap about anybody else! I think it's kind of funny that the top guys are finally starting to be forced to work some O.T. now, and the bottom get to go home after 10. Now you know how we felt the last 8 years!

Please do not take what I've said as a personal affront it was not meant to be
No offense taken. I agree with you on hoffa! However, the unoin does not revolve around 705. I admire you guys for what you are trying to do, but sometimes you have to realize what you are up against. Don't be too harsh on 179 as we were backed into a corner by the international from the get-go.
For the life of me, I can't believe that the (primarily) road drivers voted for this piece of crap, especialy considering the outsourcing of road work. But it's done now, and we have to live with it. I do wish you guys the best.

teamster02

No offense taken. I agree with you on hoffa! However, the unoin does not revolve around 705. I admire you guys for what you are trying to do, but sometimes you have to realize what you are up against. Don't be too harsh on 179 as we were backed into a corner by the international from the get-go.
For the life of me, I can't believe that the (primarily) road drivers voted for this piece of crap, especialy considering the outsourcing of road work. But it's done now, and we have to live with it. I do wish you guys the best.

Thanks for wishing us the best.
I too am at a loss as to WHY road drivers would vote for their own demise.

705 has negotiated independent of the international for quite some time.
In the past WE held out, and the international retro'd to us.

We are still the second largest Teamster local in the country. And as such comes responsibility.
Our members are all not perfect, but we can smell a rat and a deal from far off.
It is just beyond my feeble comprehension how other Teamster locals can get into bed with the employers against us.
Our craft has no more leadership capability,
they have surrendered it to the employers, who ONLY care about the stockholders, themselves and their bonuses and parachutes.

First off, we, meaning people in our strata of income are the ones spending money, keeping the slow economy moving.

Picture this, the employers suppress our wages i.e. living conditions and buying power.
We can no longer afford the 40,000.00 cars, new houses, hell, now the cost to go to work, not to mention feed our families.
so now WE don't buy those cars, new houses appliances etc.
Pretty soon the large companies making these products cut back on their production.
What does that mean?
They, the Mg's don't need as many parts therefore cut back.
Who is the first to suffer, us of course because if they need less material we have less loads, hence the trucking companies have less work. When contracts are up they want to take back from us. When does the corporate greed, on behalf of the almighty stockholder end? Total chaos, the breaking down of society as we know it, what,when.

All that said, if we don't FIGHT for what we need we won't get it.
They are NOT beneficent.

UNIONS were formed for a reason.

People died to get us where we are.

I for one would rather go down fighting then become a ***** and go down the drain anyway at their discretion.

Thanks for listening

I assume your trying to be funny....it's not working! About 140 and more by the week. Hollandman73, as I'm sure you know, the grievances are from the company trying to exploit what they can out of the new language, and was expected considering the a**holes in mgmt we are dealing with. And by the way, the 31 guys that always vote yes, are probably the top 31 guys that have been catered to since day 1, and don't give a crap about anybody else! I think it's kind of funny that the top guys are finally starting to be forced to work some O.T. now, and the bottom get to go home after 10. Now you know how we felt the last 8 years!
Teamster02, You clearly don't know what the little icons mean. You obviously took my post the wrong way. Yep, guilty of an attempt at humor over the computer. My bad. Are you suicidal also? Don't do it, this place ain't worth it.:smilie_132:

Ummm....I'm in the top 31 and and certainly don't get catered to---I also voted NO.
We were told before the first vote that we wouldn't get any more if we voted no- right? Well- we voted no and guess what? We got more! Then we were told that this time its for real "vote no and we won't get any more--we'll lose what we got". I guess we fell for it that time didn't we?
We definitely got some good things in this contract but I think we needed another no vote to iron out the language....the same language that is now being twisted by mngmt. :nutkick:

Ummm....I'm in the top 31 and and certainly don't get catered to---I also voted NO.
We were told before the first vote that we wouldn't get any more if we voted no- right? Well- we voted no and guess what? We got more! Then we were told that this time its for real "vote no and we won't get any more--we'll lose what we got". I guess we fell for it that time didn't we?
We definitely got some good things in this contract but I think we needed another no vote to iron out the language....the same language that is now being twisted by mngmt. :nutkick:
Well then, you, me and 24 others voted no the second time around. To me it didn't seem that the union was saying we wouldnt get more, as much as they were trying to scare us into believing that the international would force us under the master. We didnt get anthing more monitarily, just some (much needed) language. I agree on the 1 more no vote to get the language down, but no matter what we got, the company would try to find a way to get around it. And the union sure pulled a fast one on us by saying, oh yea, we'll get that language in there (on various topics) & go over it w/Neal & everybody else & get them on the same page, and apparently that never happened. I cant say for sure, because we are STILL waiting on the damn contract they promosed we would have in our hands over 2 weeks ago. They must have run out of grey ink!

Couldn't agree with you more. Same situation in G. R. More guys but the ratio is about the same.

Well then, you, me and 24 others voted no the second time around. To me it didn't seem that the union was saying we wouldnt get more, as much as they were trying to scare us into believing that the international would force us under the master. We didnt get anthing more monitarily, just some (much needed) language. I agree on the 1 more no vote to get the language down, but no matter what we got, the company would try to find a way to get around it. And the union sure pulled a fast one on us by saying, oh yea, we'll get that language in there (on various topics) & go over it w/Neal & everybody else & get them on the same page, and apparently that never happened. I cant say for sure, because we are STILL waiting on the damn contract they promosed we would have in our hands over 2 weeks ago. They must have run out of grey ink!

Teamster02 you are absolutely right on all points. We definitely should have had a contract in hand by now. It really doesn't make our stewards job very easy when they have nothing to reference as far as the contract goes.......oh well---what can you do? Talk to you later:smilie_132:

Anyone that uses the name of the company as a handle can not be taken seriously. HOLLANDMAN?