1971 Ford F150

Looking at the body,if the motor & tranny are in good condition I think it is well worth the asking price.
Although we all know we try to pay less than asking if we can.

"Nego
Looking at the body,if the motor & tranny are in good condition I think it is well worth the asking price.

"Negotiating a price" is part of the fun of buying. Most people have an asking price & a selling price. When selling it is easier to come down on a price than it is to go up.

never in a million years would i pay that much (that ABF'er linked to) for an OLD used truck. that price alone is a great downpayment on a MUCH newer one, coming off a lease as only one example, WITH a full factory warranty to boot.

although i haven't the "funds" for any truck right now, i still "window shop" for a good used one, and the pricing simply floors me. even for as in my situation, all i'd need is quick transport to the local home improvement store and back, i'd never pay over $3,000 for a truck as old as (say) a 1995.

but then too many times used trucks as old as what ABF'er linked too, HAS been used and abused, no matter what the original or 27th owner claim.

i also need not all the gadgets and gizmo's of todays modern truck, just a plain basic work truck, and a simple regular cab over say a extended cab or crew cab.

but those are not that easy to find, even the local dealerships when i see a regular cab, they have a lousy V-6 under the hood.

used trucks (to me) are simply not a bargain when they are as old as the link, unless it is for "free to a good home", then stick one's thumb up his butt, that the frame is not rotted away, or bent out of whack, or the engine isn't going to fall out, once driven off the property.

of course all it takes is one HUGE lottery win......and that shiny new all decked out $80,000 Ford F-350, with a diesel, and here i come..>!!!!!!!

Anything of value is only valuable to someone who is willing to pay the price to own it.
The price always goes up when there is less,supply & demand.
If you own one of something someone else wants you can name your price.
However if there a lot of the item available you have to be willing to take whatever offer you can get if you are the seller.

In the case of these 71' ford pickups in good condition,they are getting harder to find.
So this can be a case of the willingness to pay the price,or in the neighborhood of, what the seller wants.

Anything of value is only valuable to someone who is willing to pay the price to own it.
However if there a lot of the item available you have to be willing to take whatever offer you can get if you are the seller.

In the case of these 71' ford pickups in good condition,they are getting harder to find.
So this can be a case of the willingness to pay the price,or in the neighborhood of, what the seller wants.

I remember one timea buddy and I were pretty lit up. I backed up into a telephone pretty hard. Got out and looked fearing the bumper would be hanging off. Nothing. Telephone pole, huge gash in it. I'd have to turn off the engine at the end of three street and coast it into the parking spot at the house because the engine was too loud at night. They don't make vehicles like that anymore.

I'd pay a pretty penny....trying to sell it to the wife but she's not seeing the same value. Haha

Let her know that year & condition of the vehicle,you can always get your money back maybe even more when you decide to sell it.
You know you just have to play the good investment card.

well, i have always lived by the motto, "i need nothing i have to pay a lot for"....

been living well all these years.

up here, (in what some say can be considered the rust belt), no truck unless fully restored, is worth that kind of money, as it is still a 71, 74, etc.

it is still not a sensible purchase, even insurance wise, (which insurance is required now by law in many states). get into a wreck, they only pay near book value, not what one pays for it.

The folks around here that have Hot Rods,& Classic cars pay for extra insurance to cover their investment.
In New York state we are required to have insurance or we can't register our vehicles.
The classic insurance rates are higher ,but cover above an beyond the year,so heaven forbid some Hot Rodder gets in a wreck.

I have my collector cars insured through Hagerty. You get to state the value you wish to insure it for. Rate is based on the value you select and annual miles driven, not the make/model/year. There are a couple caveats; you must have more vehicles registered in your household than licensed drivers (they want to make certain the vehicle is not a daily driver), it must be stored in a locked garage when not in use.

I'm paying 2.2cents per dollar of declared value per year, full coverage, $1000 deductible.

I would pay $30K for the correct perfectly restored, better than showroom condition 1971 F100 before I paid $30K for a 2016 F150 work struck. Yes, the 2016 will be better at a few things and have some gizmos the 71 won't. But in 20 years, that 71 will be worth 10x what the 2016 will be worth.

I have my collector cars insured through Hagerty. You get to state the value you wish to insure it for. Rate is based on the value you select and annual miles driven, not the make/model/year. There are a couple caveats; you must have more vehicles registered in your household than licensed drivers (they want to make certain the vehicle is not a daily driver), it must be stored in a locked garage when not in use.

I'm paying 2.2cents per dollar of declared value per year, full coverage, $1000 deductible.

I would pay $30K for the correct perfectly restored, better than showroom condition 1971 F100 before I paid $30K for a 2016 F150 work struck. Yes, the 2016 will be better at a few things and have some gizmos the 71 won't. But in 20 years, that 71 will be worth 10x what the 2016 will be worth.
in 10 years, come back here and show us the value. as i highly doubt it'll be 10x's more.

in 10 years, come back here and show us the value. as i highly doubt it'll be 10x's more.

I said 20 years. I also said 10x what the 2016 would be worth.

Rewind the clock 20 years. Somebody bought a new truck in 1996 for MSRP (the sticker on a base model F150 was $14,150) and I bought a classic pick-up restored to as-new condition for that same $14,150. Now, jump ahead to today and look on KBB, that same 1996 F150 private party good condition truck is valued at $1908. x 10 is $19,080. Most any classic vehicle that was worth $14,150 20 years ago is worth well north of $19,080 today. Likely, more in the 30-40K range.

I said 20 years. I also said 10x what the 2016 would be worth.

Rewind the clock 20 years. Somebody bought a new truck in 1996 for MSRP (the sticker on a base model F150 was $14,150) and I bought a classic pick-up restored to as-new condition for that same $14,150. Now, jump ahead to today and look on KBB, that same 1996 F150 private party good condition truck is valued at $1908. x 10 is $19,080. Most any classic vehicle that was worth $14,150 20 years ago is worth well north of $19,080 today. Likely, more in the 30-40K range.
whatever....money ill spent on old. to keep it looking new and running new, should be used only on weekends. otherwise, work it, it'll kill it.

parts will be harder to find in the future. and pricey when they are found.

newer is better, in most instances.

whatever....money ill spent on old. to keep it looking new and running new, should be used only on weekends. otherwise, work it, it'll kill it.

parts will be harder to find in the future. and pricey when they are found.

newer is better, in most instances.

I acknowledged there are things that new truck will do better than the old pickup. Appreciate and last aren't two of them.

There's a huge aftermarket and support system for those old pickups. Parts aren't going to be an issue anytime soon.

When will the 96 become a classic?
I'm old enough to remember when the 71 was just an older truck and it was the early 50's F100s that were so cool. There was a place on Beach Blvd by Knotts Berry Farm that sold parts (I think you're a SoCal guy, EX) that we would hang out at.
I do admit to digging that 71 with the 390 and glasspacks. You don't see or hear those bullet-shaped mufflers anymore.

I acknowledged there are things that new truck will do better than the old pickup. Appreciate and last aren't two of them.

There's a huge aftermarket and support system for those old pickups. Parts aren't going to be an issue anytime soon.
buy new, full warranty, trade it in, get another one, rinse, repeat..still cheaper than insuring old crappola.

When will the 96 become a classic?
I'm old enough to remember when the 71 was just an older truck and it was the early 50's F100s that were so cool. There was a place on Beach Blvd by Knotts Berry Farm that sold parts (I think you're a SoCal guy, EX) that we would hang out at.
I do admit to digging that 71 with the 390 and glasspacks. You don't see or hear those bullet-shaped mufflers anymore.

I don't know that the 96 will last long enough to ever become a classic. The electronics on that era of vehicle are complicated enough to not warrant aftermarket support in such small quantity, yet crude enough they won't last long enough.

My wife had a 68 Camaro RS when she was in high school, it was already a classic, even though it wasn't even 20 years old then. Nobody is collecting a 96 Buick these days.

You mean you can't go buy a Turbo Thrush glass-pack at Manny, Moe and Jack's anymore?

Yes, I'm local to SoCal. Was on Harbor yesterday....no I wasn't trolling for hookers (not the headers).