1993 Day Cab

Discussion in 'Consolidated Freightways' started by johndeere, Apr 6, 2007.

1. johndeere

johndeere New Member

There is a CF Freightliner 10 series tractor in my area for sale . The owner says it has 277,000 miles on the hubometer and that there is no odometer. This sounds like too low a mileage to me . What do you old CF guys think. Thanks

2. CFer

CFer Active Member

That sounds like very low miles to me. I can verify that there were no odometers on these trucks. I honestly don't even remember hubomoters on them either. The computer system kept track of the trips each unit made and how many miles were on it. When it was time for a unit to get PM'd, the computer would let the shop know.

I really wonder if the hubomoter was installed after the tractor was sold by CF

3. nooksack

nooksack Member

When they put the ten series into city pool the installed the hub meters. The 110 series i drove at the end had 1,400,000 miles on it when they installed the hub meter.
    I would bet the tractor has over a 1,500,000 on it.

4. mattjm

mattjm Junior Senior Member

Man at the least 1,000000- 2 million

5. Stimpy

Stimpy Wingnut

My truck number was 110-1398; it had three and one half million miles on it. I remember there being hub meters on all of the trucks road included. My truck ran like a bear, they told me it was an old triple tractor. Turned up 350 Cat, rode like a horse though, it was repainted with a new interior, headliner, and dash. Could never figure out why drivers would poke holes in the headliners, or bend up the dash.

6. CFer

CFer Active Member

You're right. I forgot about that

7. johndeere

johndeere New Member

Tractor number is 10-1988. I will ask the seller if he has had the truck on the computer to check total hours and mileage. We were looking to buy the tractor to pull pup loads of food and supplies to MS. and LA. where the storm damage occcured. This would save us the cost of renting a Penske unit every trip. The reason the truck caught my eye was because of the mileage, but having driven for CF at one time, I could'nt see them having a tractor that ran from 1993 till the shutdown with this low a mileage. I guess we will pass on this one. Thanks for all the advise.

8. nooksack

nooksack Member

CF had great maintance program. My tractor had a milion 5 and still ran strong as ever. I would not let the miles scare me away from it.

9. sdb

sdb New Member

When i started at CF in 1978 there were hubos on all road tractors.At some point before 1993 all hubos were removed.The road units averaged 150,000-200,000 miles a year,which put a 1993 well over a million miles.If it had a new engine installed just prior to the close it maybe worth a second look.

10. johndeere

johndeere New Member

Someone else bought the tractor today for $4400. We are now looking at a Overnite day cab Volvo with 750000 verified miles. Asking price is $2500

11. mattjm

mattjm Junior Senior Member

That's because C F truck was union.

12. johndeere

johndeere New Member

1993 daycab

The buyer blew a piston while in transit after pickup. You guys must have been right about this being a multimillion mile unit. Thanks

Songremainsthesame likes this.