FedEx Freight | 1996 Do you remember?

POPCORN

TB Regular
Credits
With all the rumors of coming changes (as those to take place back in April) and no info coming from our management at all I think the current climate of uncertainty is starting to feel like 1996. That is when over 1000 full time Dock Hands were laid off... never to return. Because they had been hiring Combo drivers off the street that were trained by the Full-time Dock hands. I remember because I was one of the lucky Dock hands who got into the Driver Education program just as the Plan unfolded.

How does this apply to 2011? Reconfigurations, Terminal Closures, some Road Boards to double in size. Well so much misinformation and corporate silence (at the same time) about even the most basic info is being intentionally silenced. Ask your Terminal Manager when your Road Board is going to bid again? I cannot get an answer. Why the Silence? We are adults (well most of us) we can handle the truth. This is exactly how AF handled the layoff of over 1000 full time Dock Hands back then. No info is better than some guys NOT showing up for work, This is the only logical explanation I can think of. Last year Fedex merged Freight with National and we were told that would never happen.

Hiring supervisors and staking off additions to existing terminals is great but, I am becoming skeptical of the changes that apparently are coming our way. What will they be?... A Partial Team Operation? Purchase of another carrier (LTL or Truckload) that will lead to further road job loss, How about a Wild Board who just roams the system. I personally believe that the Economy Experiment was just a Marketing Campaign designed to re-educate the shippers as to the New Fedex Freight. The Re-Education period is over and now we need a Clear Path forward and a Solid Plan that the workers can understand. Lets get this next phase out in the open and let the chips fall where they may Fedex. The Freight Road Drivers can handle it.

Talk about a "wild board" in the west we called it a "system board" where you ran the entire system. It was also a "wheel board" where it was first in and first out, Senority did not matter, so, it was fair to everyone on the board. You could also do "A,B,C,D runs where you could elect to stay out several days.. I think it was a lot better than the "extra board " we currently use. Normally central would keep you out 1-2 days, then would ask if you wanted to "a,b,c? you could tell them yes or no. Of course if they needed you, it was not an option until you hit yer "D" leg and then, you had the right to refuse and go home, you were also placed ahead of domiciled drivers because you were "Homeward bound. I agree, with the rest of yoour post though. Sure wsh they would stop with the "I got a Secret" game and keep everyone informed unless, they plan on getting rid of drivers and they are afraid they will quit before the "BIG PLAN" is in place creating a driver shortage and FEDEX would be stuck holding the bag!!

Talk about a "wild board" in the west we called it a "system board" where you ran the entire system. It was also a "wheel board" where it was first in and first out, Senority did not matter, so, it was fair to everyone on the board. You could also do "A,B,C,D runs where you could elect to stay out several days.. I think it was a lot better than the "extra board " we currently use. Normally central would keep you out 1-2 days, then would ask if you wanted to "a,b,c? you could tell them yes or no. Of course if they needed you, it was not an option until you hit yer "D" leg and then, you had the right to refuse and go home, you were also placed ahead of domiciled drivers because you were "Homeward bound. I agree, with the rest of yoour post though. Sure wsh they would stop with the "I got a Secret" game and keep everyone informed unless, they plan on getting rid of drivers and they are afraid they will quit before the "BIG PLAN" is in place creating a driver shortage and FEDEX would be stuck holding the bag!!

That old Viking Wild Board would solve a lot of today's problems out West wouldn't it. How about Old Viking policies and procedures West of the Rockies and Old AF policies and procedures East of the Rockies? AF used to bid March and September not January and July.

Popcorn, you're trying way to hard to worry yourself to death. Go with the flow. The old viking board wouldn't work today, don't believe me? See YRC. They use our old business model. Workin' real well over there? Oh wait, they've lost $3 billion or so in the last 3 years.

Go with the flow, we're making a profit again.

ST

You know, the flowing Koolaid.

Why is it if somebody happens to think that the company they work for is doing a lot of things right then they automatically get called a "kool-aid drinker"?
Shoot, I don't agree with 100% of what Fedex does myself, but they do better than most and that's about all I can ask for, I ain't perfect either.