Central Transport | 1ST Quarter Results -Vitran posts 17.6 million loss, revenues down 13.1%

stunhsif

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey Runawaytrain, I said the loss would be 17.3 million , only missed it by 300 grand. What is my prize , probably just a handshake. Things are not good boys, the Vitran train is derailed with nary a hope of getting back on the tracks. Before this 1st Q report, Vitran was left with 54.6 million cash after the SCO sale. Now with this loss of 17.6 million, we are left with 37 million dollars. Two more quarters of losses similar to this and you might as well close the doors. CK has been at the helm for 5 full quarters now and things are getting worse, not getting better. We are in a perfect storm. Customers have moved elswhere , revenues down 13.1% from a year ago while all our competitors enjoy large increases in revenue. Why have customers left Vitran, I call it "Vitran Fatigue". Years and years of poor on time service, damage levels that are simply unacceptable, claims that don't get paid, inaccurate invoicing, poor equipment ( no $hit there gents) . What CK needs to understand is the customers have options, there is still way too much capacity in this lousy business. Customers don't need Vitran, Vitran needs customers.

Another reason for the horrible results and massive drop in revenues is the loss of the best sales reps in the company. We have lost roughly one third of our sales force and it isn't the lazy or lousy reps that have left. The good reps were simply fed up with a substandard service product, they were tired of getting beat up day after day, just as you and I are when we deliver a pallet of freight that looks like it was hit by a nuclear bomb. How many customers tell you that if the damages don't stop, we are going elsewhere? And this leads to the internal employees "Vitran Fatigue". How many raises have you gotten in the past 7 years, one, a lousy 25 cent raise. Seriously, a lousy 25 cents. The salaried folks did not get that lousy 25 cents. Now how much did your health insurance rates increase this year, way more than that 25 cents would cover. Employee fatigue runs from bottom to top, almost everyone would leave our company if they could find a better job. Vitran is lucky that the economy has not gotten much better or they would have seen a mass exodus. That has happened though with the sales group as our competitors have cherry picked our best and most seasoned reps. I am told we are replacing them with snotty nosed rookies that will simply not succeed.

I've said it several times. I think Canada is going to spin us off into a holding company. The Canadian employees have been demanding this for more than a year. How long we can last after that , who knows, it won't be long. Will be interesting to see what the market has to say today, just glad I don't have any Vitran stock.

The conference call was very painful. Deluce was stumbling for words at times. Both he and Fayez appeared nervous and at times would dodge direct questions. Fayez pulled out winter weather and hurricane Sandy as an excuse for service only being in the mid 90's. Seriously, they stated to the public that service was in the mid 90's. I was told by new rep that with all the different codes they have for late pick up, recent changes in transit times by adding days and what he called "plus ones" that it is mostly smoke and mirrors and customers know it and don't buy it.

There were only two questions from all the listeners on the call, that in and of itself is troubling. Get ready for a spinoff, Deluce made it very clear that this is an option they are looking at when he answered one of the callers direct questions. Triple A is still looking for LH drivers, time to go over and apply.

Hey Runawaytrain, I said the loss would be 17.3 million , only missed it by 300 grand. What is my prize , probably just a handshake. Things are not good boys, the Vitran train is derailed with nary a hope of getting back on the tracks. Before this 1st Q report, Vitran was left with 54.6 million cash after the SCO sale. Now with this loss of 17.6 million, we are left with 37 million dollars. Two more quarters of losses similar to this and you might as well close the doors. CK has been at the helm for 5 full quarters now and things are getting worse, not getting better. We are in a perfect storm. Customers have moved elswhere , revenues down 13.1% from a year ago while all our competitors enjoy large increases in revenue. Why have customers left Vitran, I call it "Vitran Fatigue". Years and years of poor on time service, damage levels that are simply unacceptable, claims that don't get paid, inaccurate invoicing, poor equipment ( no $hit there gents) . What CK needs to understand is the customers have options, there is still way too much capacity in this lousy business. Customers don't need Vitran, Vitran needs customers.

Another reason for the horrible results and massive drop in revenues is the loss of the best sales reps in the company. We have lost roughly one third of our sales force and it isn't the lazy or lousy reps that have left. The good reps were simply fed up with a substandard service product, they were tired of getting beat up day after day, just as you and I are when we deliver a pallet of freight that looks like it was hit by a nuclear bomb. How many customers tell you that if the damages don't stop, we are going elsewhere? And this leads to the internal employees "Vitran Fatigue". How many raises have you gotten in the past 7 years, one, a lousy 25 cent raise. Seriously, a lousy 25 cents. The salaried folks did not get that lousy 25 cents. Now how much did your health insurance rates increase this year, way more than that 25 cents would cover. Employee fatigue runs from bottom to top, almost everyone would leave our company if they could find a better job. Vitran is lucky that the economy has not gotten much better or they would have seen a mass exodus. That has happened though with the sales group as our competitors have cherry picked our best and most seasoned reps. I am told we are replacing them with snotty nosed rookies that will simply not succeed.

I've said it several times. I think Canada is going to spin us off into a holding company. The Canadian employees have been demanding this for more than a year. How long we can last after that , who knows, it won't be long. Will be interesting to see what the market has to say today, just glad I don't have any Vitran stock.
I couldn't have said it better myself...You are good.... Funny how I started the thread "enjoy the ride" the day before :fan:

Just curious ..what does spinoff into a holding company mean? Whats a" holding company"?

if you remember the company Jevic, they were in a "holding company" right up till the closing of their doors when the holding company said enough is enough time to recoup some of our money and sell off the assets. sorry drivers your out of work.

really wishing the Hammels would have kept PJAX running and not sold off, being family owned I think decisions were thought thru are lot more, when you had your own bank account to look at instead of some corporate account.

Just curious ..what does spinoff into a holding company mean? Whats a" holding company"?

that is where just a group of investors owns your company, and a lot more companies. you are just a number in their tax returns. the parent company really has nothing to do with yours, they just own it and you run it

that is where just a group of investors owns your company, and a lot more companies. you are just a number in their tax returns. the parent company really has nothing to do with yours, they just own it and you run it

until like Jevic the "investors" decide they don't want to be in trucking, or your numbers don't meet expectations then its all over, they sell off assets to recoup their losses.

A holding company owns enough voting stock in another to control management and operations......A holding company is organized specifically to hold stock of other companies and ordinarily owns such a dominant interest in the other company that it can dictate policy....Another words we are Fu**** if that happens.

For all of you that can't afford to go down with the ship I suggest you think about jumping ship if you get a chance. Many are hiring now. My home is paid for and my kids are grown and doing well. They could shut down by the end of this next quarter if they have another great loss. It's time to stop the bleeding....The final nail in their coffin was not retaining good sales reps....Their arrogance to think they could carry on with business as usual was a big mistake....As you have always heard me say on here....This company has become a victim of their own demise. And the end is near and they have no one to blame but themselves.

I hope others will add to this post if it is incorrect, but I believe the function of a holding company would be the way Vitran cuts the U.S. off from the Canadian side to keep us from sinking the entire thing.

I hope others will add to this post if it is incorrect, but I believe the function of a holding company would be the way Vitran cuts the U.S. off from the Canadian side to keep us from sinking the entire thing.
That's not my understanding but I have been wrong before.....I will check into it.....H.E. needs to chime in.

I know we just lost 17.6 ...........And we have been losing for quite sometime.....When was the last time we made money? Would anybody happen to know the exact losses in each quarter for the last 2 or 3 years? Another words 2010 four quarters.....2011 four quarters....2012 four quarters....