XPO | 2.5% raise...really? That's all you can give us?

Every time one of those sub-service vans pulls into our out of a SIC, that is freight that you and I should be hauling. And it can be done and still make money. Look at OD. They kept 10% more of the money they made than we did and still gave their employees a raise. Last I checked they make more than us. AND they haul their own freight.

company makes good my jobbing to sub service, they only pay their drivers 34.40 cents per mile, we get .55 plus, do the math, let them haul it, I figure it is a win win semerio! We are working and so are the REAL truckers! and as far a O.D. they get paid by the run, not the mile, all their fueling and dropping and hooking is figured in, leave well enough alone and let's just trcuk for Conway....

company makes good my jobbing to sub service, they only pay their drivers 34.40 cents per mile, we get .55 plus, do the math, let them haul it, I figure it is a win win semerio! We are working and so are the REAL truckers! and as far a O.D. they get paid by the run, not the mile, all their fueling and dropping and hooking is figured in, leave well enough alone and let's just trcuk for Conway....

Don't know where you're getting your figures from, but OD gets paid by the mile, same as us. I believe they also get hook/fuel time as well. The longer sub-service has been used, the more prevalent it has gotten in our system. Before long, ALL of it will be put on sub-service, linehaul will be a thing of the past, and everyone will be a city driver. Where does that leave guys on the bottom? Out of a job.

Besides, all that money they're supposedly saving in using sub-service, where does that benefit you? They tout all their cost savings efforts as more money in our pockets in a bonus. Who gets more of that money, the company or us? I think you know the answer to that question.

I have always wanted to see the numbers. I feel we might not make as much as we think if you factor in the dock time and damages to transfer from our trailers to there 's and back again. The load can be another 200 miles down the road in the time it takes to unload and reload. I might be all wet on this but would love to hear your thoughts on this.

what makes no sence is that we get a sub service van every morning in from one of the same FAC terminals which we run to....AND most of the time our drivers comes back pulling one and an empty.....

what makes no sence is that we get a sub service van every morning in from one of the same FAC terminals which we run to....AND most of the time our drivers comes back pulling one and an empty.....

Is the van loaded at that FAC, or at a point further out?

Would the driver be able to load a full van into that empty pup he's pulling? If not, how would you service the rest of the freight?

Is the van loaded at that FAC, or at a point further out?

Would the driver be able to load a full van into that empty pup he's pulling? If not, how would you service the rest of the freight?
Yes, the van ORIGINATES from that FAC facility...and a pup that is loaded about 60% and an empty coming back would accomodate the CWBG van that it is loaded about 80% coming into us...Plus if it didnt fit on that one driver, it would have been spread out over the 4 drivers we send to that FAC nightly....

WOW! just saw the announcement that we are getting 2.5% increase starting April 1.....wow, thanks for the movie ticket.....
Don't worry they will raise your insurance premium in a few months 7% and that will take care of the raise LMAO! Thats the way they work been doing it for years

Every time one of those sub-service vans pulls into our out of a SIC, that is freight that you and I should be hauling. And it can be done and still make money. Look at OD. They kept 10% more of the money they made than we did and still gave their employees a raise. Last I checked they make more than us. AND they haul their own freight.
OD doesn't pay overtime. That is HUGE. I believe they have to get to 60 hours before overtime pay is in effect.

Absolutely! For my area (metro Atlanta) the hourly wage is fairly competitive. I'm not complaining about that. I'm fine with guys in Chicago, LA, metro NYC and the northeast making more per hour than me because it DOES cost more to live there, even compared to Atlanta. But why does a guy in Clearfield, PA, for example, make the same per hour as someone in Chicago or Newark? AND he gets ot after 8 like Chicago and Newark. It's a principle issue for me. If I work over 8, why is my time not as valuable as that guy up in Clearfield? Or Omaha? Or Boise? They should make the OT the same company wide. We all do the same job for the same company, so when we work over 8 (and I'm sure plenty of guys up north and out west do) our time down in the sunny south should be as important to the company as theirs.
if the south would have won the civil war it would be different for you guys

Whats 2.5% of 0???They could have given us nothing again this year but didn't..Yes IMO we are still behind the gun a bit BUT this IMO also is a plus,And if its not good enough, then send it my way,i have no problem with excepting more money...

i ll take the 2.5 percent better than nothing i started here at 8.50 an hour an wow look at us now

i ll take the 2.5 percent better than nothing i started here at 8.50 an hour an wow look at us now

Was that back when you had to crank the handle on the front of the tractor to get it started and you had to stop your set from rolling with your feet?:smilies-19296:

Was that back when you had to crank the handle on the front of the tractor to get it started and you had to stop your set from rolling with your feet?:smilies-19296:

That was when you had to back up to the front of the trailer, hook up your air lines, then, set the trolley brake, and then hitch!......kids

Last edited by a moderator:
That was when you had to back up to the front of the trailer, hook up your air lines, then, set the trolley brake, and then hitch!......kids

I'll say......what the heck? You ever see a trailer roll away because the air ran out, back before the modern brakes? I'll bet that happened a lot.

OD doesn't pay overtime. That is HUGE. I believe they have to get to 60 hours before overtime pay is in effect.

True, but they also pay more than us and they've also given their drivers raises in the past couple of years where we only got one this year. Which would you rather have, more hours at a better rate or o/t? That's the defense for us southern drivers not getting o/t until 50. And they've been putting out operating ratio in the 80's consistently for several years now.