Holland | 2 black workers win $350,000 each in harassment suit ruling

Well, hmmmm... Maybe those co-workers will start acting like somewhat smart men instead of like ignorant children. Maybe they should be paying the $700,000 to thoses men.

I didn't no "boy" was a racial slur.Poltical correctness,you got to love It!

Its only a racial slur if used by Whites.If blacks use it then it becomes a mistake and its OK because they were sorry for the slip of the tongue.
If this was really a racial thing then why don't the two men share the settlement with the rest of the Blacks that work there ? Now that would show true Brotherhood.
Actually USF is smart enough to fight this. Oops I guess I should have said should be smart enough to fight the courts decision.

I didn't no "boy" was a racial slur.Poltical correctness,you got to love It!

It all depends on how you use it. P.C. has nothing to do with it. If you're talking to a man, then you should acknowledge that. Especially if you're told that the use of a word is offensive. Just another example of people using the law to teach other people a lesson. A very expensive one this time.

Its only a racial slur if used by Whites.If blacks use it then it becomes a mistake and its OK because they were sorry for the slip of the tongue.
If this was really a racial thing then why don't the two men share the settlement with the rest of the Blacks that work there ? Now that would show true Brotherhood.
Actually USF is smart enough to fight this. Oops I guess I should have said should be smart enough to fight the courts decision.

You've got to be kidding me???? I don't know what really happened at this terminal and I'm pretty sure that most of the people reading this don't either. Like I said before, it depends on how it's being used. If you call me boy, and I don't like, and you continue to call me that, then we have problems. Especially, if I tell you that I have a problem with it. I can care less what color you are! Sounds like there needs to be some racial diversity training done at the terminal.

You've got to be kidding me???? I don't know what really happened at this terminal and I'm pretty sure that most of the people reading this don't either. Like I said before, it depends on how it's being used. If you call me boy, and I don't like, and you continue to call me that, then we have problems. Especially, if I tell you that I have a problem with it. I can care less what color you are! Sounds like there needs to be some racial diversity training done at the terminal.

Just seems strange that it only affects two people when one of the earlier post said about 100 blacks work their.Personally I choose not to go that route anyway.Just seems strange that the others wouldn't have stood up and said stop it also.

What was the Holland TM doing when all this was happening? What about other management? Can't managers take control of their terminals? Did these 2 fellas put in a grievance to start with? I know it's not nice and brotherly to put in a grievance toward another fellow Teamster, but someone should have stepped in before it went this far. I think USF Holland should check out the management at that terminal and find out why this was allowed to happen. Screwing aroung with tow motors?? Safety hazard... no one should be around your tow motor. Start with the brains of management first. Bastids...

turning your back

What was the Holland TM doing when all this was happening? What about other management? Can't managers take control of their terminals? Did these 2 fellas put in a grievance to start with? I know it's not nice and brotherly to put in a grievance toward another fellow Teamster, but someone should have stepped in before it went this far. I think USF Holland should check out the management at that terminal and find out why this was allowed to happen. Screwing aroung with tow motors?? Safety hazard... no one should be around your tow motor. Start with the brains of management first. Bastids...

You make a good point cause management is just as wrong if they knew it was going on.

It should have not gotten to that point but it did when some turned their head. Just like someone committing ******* when they tell your they have a problem and ignore the plea
your just as guilty for turning your back.

How about people being responsible for their own actions. I have seen harassment stuff brought to mgmt a million times and it only gets worse after that.

The harassing party will never give anybody up and the side line people just mind their own business.

We have all seen it and done nothing, whether it was picking on a black, Jew, Russian or anybody. These guys just had the ballls to take it to court.

They obviously were able to prove their case and got rewarded for it. Now personally, I do not think the companhy should be liable for it and $700 grand for getting your balls broke seems a bit excessive, but sometimes yiu hit the big one.

But for anyone here to thumb their noses and get all pissy is just wrong because we have all seen the mentality and we all know guys who take things too far.

I wonder what Grizz has to say about this, I think it is his terminal ??

EDIT * Nevermind Grizz is Memphis

Just seems strange that it only affects two people when one of the earlier post said about 100 blacks work their.Personally I choose not to go that route anyway.Just seems strange that the others wouldn't have stood up and said stop it also.

It doesn't seem strange at all to me. Fact is, some people just don't turn their cheek when their back is to the wall. Some may see it as just a word, but to others it's a moral issue. I see your point though. It's either these two men are lying through their teeth to get an easy payout or their must be an incredibly high number of cowards, including management that let this happen.

I've seen this happen before while in the military. A couple got killed around Ft. Bragg for just being the wrong color and another soldier got shot with a grenade launcher during an exercise for being the wrong color. In more recent events, the teenagers who killed that homeless man, and the other teenagers who attacked some women (with skateboards) who were walking to their cars. Again, just for being the wrong color.

This country is still struggling with racial, ethnic, and economic class profiling. Some people try to sweep it under the rug, some people deal with it moderately, and some deal with it in a radical manner.

Whatever the case may be, their was an environment that was created for these men in order for them to take action. This was not just one sided. Only time will tell though.

Well, I think that in this day in age you would have to be stupid to say or do things like that. No matter if it's in a joking manner or intended to hurt someone. Aparently those 2 men felt harassed and threatened. So I trust the court in their decision. Obviously they heard and know more than we do. I just think that if the terminal managment didn't know about it then the men who the claim was brought up about should be responsable. But I don't think that the court would grant the decision for the for the company to pay $700,000 if they felt that the managment was oblivious to the harassment.

Just my opinion. I'm not expecting everyone to agree with it. It's just, this is a very touchy subject.

As straight, white men we can not expect others to just roll with the comments we make from time to time. Especially in a work environment this is true.

We say things all the time that can be taken out of context and be used against us. The companies we work for will alomst always take the hit and some knucklehead walks away with a boatful of cash because we said something stupid.

Then we lose our jobs to boot, because the companies all have a zero tolerance policy. Don't be stupid guys, its not 1978 anymore and we cannot just run around and say what we want.

What If

What if none of it was true. What if it was all fabricated and some one was using the race card for free money? :toxic:

What if none of it was true. What if it was all fabricated and some one was using the race card for free money? :toxic:

Anything is possible, I just know what I have seen and heard in drivers rooms and lunch rooms. I would even go so far as to say the men may have thought it was all in good fun. You know some racial humor, no big deal we make fun of everybody, Italians, blacks, arabs, etc. but that just does not fly anymore.

I highly douby it was made up, but I doubt these men's lives were in danger.

Then again, I have no facts one way or the other.

Try this one. Maybe it was a plot by the white guys and the black guys together to get a big pay day. The white guys make the comments and do the dirty work. The black guys make the complaints and bam

Three quarters of a million dollars from the big bad monster YRC.

God bless

Sounds good to me . Which terminal will be next?

Whichever terminal that allows that type of environment to be created basically.

Whether it was fabricated or not like the scenarios that FOTF stated, it was allowed to happen by those who were put in control. It's just like playing sports - when the opposing team seeks & finds a weakness in its opponents defense, it gets exploited for the win. It's up to the losing team, in this case USF to close that hole so that it doesn't happen again. Or just maybe, they can file an appeal and prove that this isn't true after all.

I worked at Red Star Buffalo and although I didn't know many of the other RS TM's, I know that if something like this had happened at the Buffalo terminal, Dick (the TM, then regional mgr) would have gone out on the dock and personally grabbed the guilty parties by the neck. Not everyone saw eye to eye with Dick all the time, but he was one tough TM. Mike, who took Dick's place when he became regional mgr. would have done the same. This would have been unheard of... So, what was this USF Holland TM doing?? I think corporate needs to do some investigating about their management team at that terminal. I'd be interested to hear what the TM's alibi is.