Holland | 2 black workers win $350,000 each in harassment suit ruling

Hmmmm... Maybe a big :tongue0002: to YRC, huh. Well, you're right... Today anything is possible. Mean while, everybody in thes forum is thinking, "why didn't I think of that?"

I worked at Red Star Buffalo and although I didn't know many of the other RS TM's, I know that if something like this had happened at the Buffalo terminal, Dick (the TM, then regional mgr) would have gone out on the dock and personally grabbed the guilty parties by the neck. Not everyone saw eye to eye with Dick all the time, but he was one tough TM. Mike, who took Dick's place when he became regional mgr. would have done the same. This would have been unheard of... So, what was this USF Holland TM doing?? I think corporate needs to do some investigating about their management team at that terminal. I'd be interested to hear what the TM's alibi is.
I can attest to this since I was sitting in the drivers break room one day waiting for my truck and the room was full of guys taking break or lunch and the N word was used by some loud mouth and Mike came out of that office like a sling shot and admondished the whole group.Not one word was said after that.At least while I was still there.

I worked at Red Star Buffalo and although I didn't know many of the other RS TM's, I know that if something like this had happened at the Buffalo terminal, Dick (the TM, then regional mgr) would have gone out on the dock and personally grabbed the guilty parties by the neck. Not everyone saw eye to eye with Dick all the time, but he was one tough TM. Mike, who took Dick's place when he became regional mgr. would have done the same. This would have been unheard of... So, what was this USF Holland TM doing?? I think corporate needs to do some investigating about their management team at that terminal. I'd be interested to hear what the TM's alibi is.

Personally knowing Dick, I argree that he would not have tolerated it. However, who is to say that the TM even knew about it.

Or that the TM was brought in too late ?? There are so many factors that we do not know, it is impossible to draw an accurate conclusion.

Hi Friend of the Frog! I see what you mean . . . We don't actually know when this harassment began so the TM might not be the same one. My apology to the TM if he started there afterwards.

You've got to be kidding me???? I don't know what really happened at this terminal and I'm pretty sure that most of the people reading this don't either. Like I said before, it depends on how it's being used. If you call me boy, and I don't like, and you continue to call me that, then we have problems. Especially, if I tell you that I have a problem with it. I can care less what color you are! Sounds like there needs to be some racial diversity training done at the terminal.

you are so right make the company pay.:clap:

YRCW Code Of Conduct!

First Yellow Transportation gets busted in Minnesota for "gender harassment" and has to pay big bucks, then Roadway Express gets busted in Illinois and has to pay big bucks, now this case! You can't get away with this kind of b.s. in 2007! Now because of a few "bad apples" we are all subjected to the YRCW Code Of Conduct! They tried to get us to sign for a copy of this at our barn, and our B.A. told them to shove it, and contact the IBT Legal Dept and TNFINC to negotiate new language in the NMFA! We refused to sign, and didn't hear any more about it. Just be careful what you say and treat your brothers and sisters with the same kind of respect that you expect. We don't need to give our Management any more reasons to subject us to even more grief that they already dish out! Check out the YRCW Code of Conduct at http://www.yrcw.com/corporategovernance/code_of_conduct.pdf
:smilie_132:

Workplace Conduct

I don't work for this company so I don't know what really happened. I know of instances where co workers of different races made racial jokes among themselves for years then someone sued for harassment & won big settlements.
My policy has been to just not make racial or gender jokes. You might do it as friends & nothing ever happen but someone could be coached into a lawsuit. Just don't do it & probably you will not have to be involved in a lawsuit.
There are no females in my immediate workplace but if there were I would just say good morning, have a good day. As much as most women like to be complimented on clothing, hair style etc. you have to be very careful what you say. I like to be complimentary to the ladies & see them smile & feel good about themselves but the workplace has changed over the years.
As one post said just treat your brothers & sisters with respect & maybe nobody will get their feelings hurt.

I don't work for this company so I don't know what really happened. I know of instances where co workers of different races made racial jokes among themselves for years then someone sued for harassment & won big settlements.
My policy has been to just not make racial or gender jokes. You might do it as friends & nothing ever happen but someone could be coached into a lawsuit. Just don't do it & probably you will not have to be involved in a lawsuit.
There are no females in my immediate workplace but if there were I would just say good morning, have a good day. As much as most women like to be complimented on clothing, hair style etc. you have to be very careful what you say. I like to be complimentary to the ladies & see them smile & feel good about themselves but the workplace has changed over the years.
As one post said just treat your brothers & sisters with respect & maybe nobody will get their feelings hurt.

Being a woman and having worked in trucking for nearly 20 years, I can honestly say that no truck driver or dock worker had to worry about what he said or did around us girls. Afterall, it's a trucking company, not the local church's bake sale! Heck, most of the time (most?? A L L???) us girls were lil devils and worse than the guys. 'Scuse me . . . I don't mean to laugh at anything you said because I totally respect what you said and you sound like one fine gentleman. Now, let me do some reminiscing here about my days in trucking: :biglaugh: (loved it) :hysterical: (oh God, I love the jokes you guys tell...here I got one for ya's...hee hee) :waycool: (you guys are too much!) :gathering: (the breakroom, lol, always fun) (always loved my fellow Teamster!) Bye for now, thanks for reading a female's side of the story. I might be unusual, but almost 20 years in the business...us girls could take a joke. And, I'm not that young either--I am pretty close to 60. Have a great day and ya'll drive safe . . .

Well Blacks use the word white boy all the time and I just give back black boy to them, I treat you like you treat me, I am not a predudice man at all, but I am going to be respected and I will give you respect, and if you want hard ball, I can give hard ball, so it is up to the person...but overall the so called organizations don't want you to stop be racial, it is to much money in it for them...Just look at J.Jackson and A. Sharpels, what do they do, what result have they actuall ever done...except ride off their on race's money....that's the only result of anything I have ever found in my research...

geezzz moneezzzz Calipari. Frog I don't know if you caught the game tonite, but Cal almost left Jeremy H on the bench to long. Zags played really hard. Grizz (21-3)

Two African-American Nashville men who said they were subject to racial slurs, vandalism and workplace harassment that included the use of nooses were awarded $350,000 each by a federal court.

Bobby Bailey and Robert P. Smith, said fellow employees at USF Holland harassed them for years.

2 black workers win $350,000 each in harassment suit ruling - Nashville, Tennessee - Saturday, 02/10/07 - Tennessean.com

Good for them they should of got a million a piece.:1036316054: