2 Draft Horses were able to pull a stuck Semi up a hill at a farm in MN.

I have a friend who was a dairy farmer. He built his own winch truck to pull his own equipment out of the mud. Before long other farmers asked for his help which he so generously gave. The company that picked up milk from other farmers often called him for help pulling their tractor/tanker trailers out when the county roads became almost impassable. Milk is one commodity that can't be left very long in storage.

I can remember when my great grandfather still farmed with a team of Belgian's.I also can remember planting corn and soy beans 2 row planter behind them BUT at 5 o'clock it was time to,head to the barn, and they didn't even own a watch

I can remember when my great grandfather still farmed with a team of Belgian's.I also can remember planting corn and soy beans 2 row planter behind them BUT at 5 o'clock it was time to,head to the barn, and they didn't even own a watch

My grandfathers were farmers also, one used mules one used horses. Both worked hard, neither were rich but kept the family fed.

I don't know how small farms make a living,unless they had the farm handed down from the generation before them.
Good farm land & equipment are really expensive,also in N.Y. my part of the country the property taxes are wicked high.

Apo that's how our farm started out . My great grandfather started with 150 acres, his 2 brothers each had 100 to 150 farms also,as time went on more family got involve and they combined all of the farms together and bought more land, now as the 3rd and 4th generation we have approx 2000 acres all total. I'm not involved as much any more mostly driving the trucks in harvest season. We do tomatoes,corn,wheat and beans, used to do sugar beets,oats,. Heck looking at the combine they got it looks like a space ship inside wiith all the computers and stuff heck the thing steers itself off gps readings.

I don't know how small farms make a living,unless they had the farm handed down from the generation before them.
Good farm land & equipment are really expensive,also in N.Y. my part of the country the property taxes are wicked high.
All of the small, one family farms I know of are involved in a niche marker crop like organic vegetables. A family related to me have certified organic vegetables. They do hire legal seasonal Hispanic workers. They also do a corn maze & pumpkin patch that attracts families.
One family, small acreage farms are almost extinct.