XPO | 2 hour backup

countryboy

TB Lurker
Credits
thanks con-way for the backup tonight, really nice, im sure who ever decided to make this decision will be home with there families long before we ever get home from the fac's.

thanks con-way for the backup tonight, really nice, im sure who ever decided to make this decision will be home with there families long before we ever get home from the fac's.

come-on pops... how long have you been doing this? this is nothing new to you. I think the most overlooked reason for the two hour backup these days is due to the change in hours of service. As the week progresses (even a three day week) the late arrivals in the morning pushes back everyone's ten hours off rule. The two hour backup allows more drivers to be available to finish the week. Or as the F.O.S.'s have commented on, it keeps the "Friday night blue jean crew" (new guys) to a minimum.

gotta step up on this one -
the 2-HR DELAY DOES suck - nothing worse than getting home from work @ noon (or after) on Christmas Eve. I want to ask you, though, do any of YOU know of a better way to maximize the opportunities for head-loads / pures / damage-free loading than to get those two extra hours of OUTBOUND TIME?
if all service centers would (and could) do the right thing the first time, there would be less need for re-handle @ the FACs, less chance for damage/shortage claims, less time spent on the dock, and hopefully - earlier arrival times back home.

naturally, we'd all rather blame the "decision-makers" for just making our life more difficult, but do you really believe they decide to have a 2-hr delay just to screw us?

have fun.

Merry Christmas from Con-Way! The way they see it biving us a 2 hour delay is cheaper than sending out Christmas cards. Thats how much the employees matter.

come-on pops... how long have you been doing this? this is nothing new to you. I think the most overlooked reason for the two hour backup these days is due to the change in hours of service. As the week progresses (even a three day week) the late arrivals in the morning pushes back everyone's ten hours off rule. The two hour backup allows more drivers to be available to finish the week. Or as the F.O.S.'s have commented on, it keeps the "Friday night blue jean crew" (new guys) to a minimum.

That's all fine and dandy about the 10 hours off thing but, if management was doing it's job and had enough people to handle and move freight we would be back on time every morning. So, to use that as an excuse, well, sounds like something Conway management would say. Are you telling me we can leave the normal time on a Wednesday any other week of the year and not have problems but on the night before Christmas eve we can't and have to back you off two hours? BULLshit!:Flame-On:

FAC's is the worse planned thing that any one could have thought up.... how can we screw the driver ... all he does is drive ... its not that hard ... words of a white shirt .... some one that has never driven a truck in his life ....

the 2-HR DELAY DOES suck - nothing worse than getting home from work @ noon (or after) on Christmas Eve. I want to ask you, though, do any of YOU know of a better way to maximize the opportunities for head-loads / pures / damage-free loading than to get those two extra hours of OUTBOUND TIME?
if all service centers would (and could) do the right thing the first time, there would be less need for re-handle @ the FACs, less chance for damage/shortage claims, less time spent on the dock, and hopefully - earlier arrival times back home.

naturally, we'd all rather blame the "decision-makers" for just making our life more difficult, but do you really believe they decide to have a 2-hr delay just to screw us?

have fun.

No I don't think they go out of their way to screw us but I do believe that they are using our holiday time to cover their inconsistencies. If they were better managers then things would run more smoothly. Maybe we should hire more college graduates!

have fun.

The don't need the two hour backup Mon thru Thurs...so why do they need it Fridays?... and in this case Weds???...

The damage issue is never going to go away until L/H get their heads out of their rears and puts an end to pushing this "load factor" crap!!!...

It can be done two hours earlier the rest of the week so why not at the end of the week???

Merry Christmas

Rat

It's a way for lower management to cover their arses. Just another way to coverup the inability to efficently do their jobs. Crap rolls down hill.

The don't need the two hour backup Mon thru Thurs...so why do they need it Fridays?... and in this case Weds???...

The damage issue is never going to go away until L/H get their heads out of their rears and puts an end to pushing this "load factor" crap!!!...

It can be done two hours earlier the rest of the week so why not at the end of the week???

Merry Christmas

Rat

The delay is allowable on the last work day of the week... whether it's a Friday or a Wednesday. Most reships in the Midwest average about a 60% late arrivals even without poor weather factored in. The delay allows for a more efficient night with more on time arrivals. Most drivers (not the narrow opinion expressed these days on here) just want to arrive at reship break freight, get loaded and get home. So what's a better scenario?, get an extra two hours at home or spend two hours waiting on late drivers for your freight? Most senior guys will use the delay to get a little extra sleep to help make the Friday night drive go a little safer.

Damages? come on Rat... that "it's all their fault" is getting a little old. 90% of the damages I see are plain and simple poor decision making on the part of the loader. You can choose to do the job right or not. But I have not encountered anyone in management requiring me to do a poor job to protect their numbers.

I disagree. Why is it the reship I go to with a delay we get done at 5:00. Without the delay the reship would close at 3:00. No one I ever talk to wants a delay. And also the delay impedes on MY weekend. MY time off.