XPO | 2 hour backup

gotta step up on this one -
the 2-HR DELAY DOES suck - nothing worse than getting home from work @ noon (or after) on Christmas Eve. I want to ask you, though, do any of YOU know of a better way to maximize the opportunities for head-loads / pures / damage-free loading than to get those two extra hours of OUTBOUND TIME?
if all service centers would (and could) do the right thing the first time, there would be less need for re-handle @ the FACs, less chance for damage/shortage claims, less time spent on the dock, and hopefully - earlier arrival times back home.

naturally, we'd all rather blame the "decision-makers" for just making our life more difficult, but do you really believe they decide to have a 2-hr delay just to screw us?

have fun.

From what I've seen, the freight doesn't get loaded any better....they just shovel it in with a front end loader so they can get out of there. No more headloads or pures than during the week.

Personaly, I like the 2 hr delay on Fri nights. The typicaly late terminals tend to arrive before me on Fridays and a lot of work is already done. I spend less time on the dock and use less hours. I always felt comfortable running a little short on hours on Fri.

And I get some much needed extra sleep; Which I do take advantage of.

This suits me as well as Conway but how it benefits Conway to delay on the third weekday is beyond me and whether or not it suits me is obviously of no consequence to our leaders.

Personaly, I like the 2 hr delay on Fri nights. The typicaly late terminals tend to arrive before me on Fridays and a lot of work is already done. I spend less time on the dock and use less hours. I always felt comfortable running a little short on hours on Fri.

This suits me as well as Conway but how it benefits Conway to delay on the third weekday is beyond me and whether or not it suits me is obviously of no consequence to our leaders.

Tell ConWay you are getting extra rest and thank them for the opportunity and the priviledge of having the benefit...

VIOLA!!!... no more backup!!!!

Rat

Reverse pyschology....physcology.... well, it's reverse and since upper mangement (yes I said mange) will jump on it. BTW the office was shut down, office workers and p&d workers were out of the SC by 7. LH showed up 2 hours later.

Tell ConWay you are getting extra rest and thank them for the opportunity and the priviledge of having the benefit...

VIOLA!!!... no more backup!!!!

Rat

Don't get me wrong, on Friday nights I don't mind the back off. We deal with a lot of traffic sometimes and it is nice not having to deal with it on Friday night but........ before Christmas eve, Thanksgiving? No, that's bullshit.

The delay is allowable on the last work day of the week... whether it's a Friday or a Wednesday. Most reships in the Midwest average about a 60% late arrivals even without poor weather factored in. The delay allows for a more efficient night with more on time arrivals. Most drivers (not the narrow opinion expressed these days on here) just want to arrive at reship break freight, get loaded and get home. So what's a better scenario?, get an extra two hours at home or spend two hours waiting on late drivers for your freight? Most senior guys will use the delay to get a little extra sleep to help make the Friday night drive go a little safer.

Damages? come on Rat... that "it's all their fault" is getting a little old. 90% of the damages I see are plain and simple poor decision making on the part of the loader. You can choose to do the job right or not. But I have not encountered anyone in management requiring me to do a poor job to protect their numbers.

Well that is definitely one way of looking at it. Myself, well I see it as a kick in the crotch before a holiday. Some runs are just naturally late so let's penalize EVERYONE because some are late. Two hour back off groups everyone into the "late arrival" category.

At first I hated the two hour delay but actually like it now. More sleep, no traffic etc.. Not a fan before Thanksgiving or Christmas though. Normally that does not mean leaving the FAC two hours later - Thursday morning I was close to two hours later though. Seemed heavy.

Don't get me wrong, on Friday nights I don't mind the back off. We deal with a lot of traffic sometimes and it is nice not having to deal with it on Friday night but........ before Christmas eve, Thanksgiving? No, that's bullshit.
Yes, to be clear, we are on the same page. The only Conway objective a 2 hr backup accomplishes on a Wed is it demonstrates authority. And so it only pisses off the workforce.

The delay is allowable on the last work day of the week... whether it's a Friday or a Wednesday. Most reships in the Midwest average about a 60% late arrivals even without poor weather factored in. The delay allows for a more efficient night with more on time arrivals. Most drivers (not the narrow opinion expressed these days on here) just want to arrive at reship break freight, get loaded and get home. So what's a better scenario?, get an extra two hours at home or spend two hours waiting on late drivers for your freight? Most senior guys will use the delay to get a little extra sleep to help make the Friday night drive go a little safer.

Damages? come on Rat... that "it's all their fault" is getting a little old. 90% of the damages I see are plain and simple poor decision making on the part of the loader. You can choose to do the job right or not. But I have not encountered anyone in management requiring me to do a poor job to protect their numbers.

Nobody agrees more than I...its getting old...damned old.

Same ridiculous scenarios week after week. Linehaul department declares a two hour back-up...service centers see an opportunity to eliminate OT as they have an additional two hours to break and move outbound freight. The senior folks are sent home on their eight. Those who start later are kept until the OB dock closes...one to two hours later than Mon. thru Thurs. If ran according to the Mon.-Thurs. plan it should not take any longer to close the OB dock on Fri as opposed to any other day...but it does.

The service centers just use this time to eliminate OT augmenting their numbers per the edicts of the TMs...and they all do it.

If the freight can be moved accordingly in the early parts of the week it can also be done on Friday. If we can't accomplish this task then we have more problems than we are being informed about.

Old???...Yep!!!...it certainly is!!!...

Its more than 'old' when the LH dept. doesn't show up with a 'build report' until 5:30-5:45 pm...long after the OB has started and many trailers have been loaded (and at the larger SCs they are sitting on the fence by then.)

And I would imagine the OB FOSs think it is real old that they are expected to dance to the LH song about building this header or that...this pure or that...strip what needs to be stripped (albeit long after they have had to start their OB dock). But whatever the hell you do...don't be late to the FAC!!!

Its so 'old' it doesn't even faze me anymore...because you can't do what they want!

It gets 'old' when week after week you see the posters on the "Focus Accounts" hanging behind the glass informing us that this customer or that is having problems with claims and this freight must be loaded in a certain manner to reduce or eliminate claims...and the when we (the DSRs) attempt to do just that we are informed we not loading high and tight! We are loading correctly to reach the load factor numbers dictated by ther Crystal Palace.

The 'old' and tired practice of forced loading has never worked. And it won't work here as well. Loading freight for the sake of loading it is assinine. I have seen two foot square skids loaded in the nose of a trailer simply because the FOS or TM doesn't want it docked. Now it has to moved half a dozen times before an adequate spot is found for said piece of freight in the loading of the trailer...MORONS!!!

You want load factor???...forget the cotton ball, potato chip and plastic auto part auto accounts and concentrate on the heavy 45x48 skids of freight that weigh 2000 lb./per skid and I will give them all the load factor they want and I will floor load it and reduce your claims ratio to the point of "Star Card" results...forget the Mom and Pop accounts that ship a small 300 pound skid once or twice a week...eliminate the 'specialized' accounts that require specific handling needs and just do the heavy stuff...

But whatever the hell they do...this company needs to stop telling me all their failures is my fault...I have no authority...I have no say-so in the decision making process...yet I am held accountable for someone else's ideologies as to what is correct.

Old?...I couldn't agree more!!!...

Rat

Same ridiculous scenarios week after week. Linehaul department declares a two hour back-up...service centers see an opportunity to eliminate OT as they have an additional two hours to break and move outbound freight. The senior folks are sent home on their eight. Those who start later are kept until the OB dock closes...one to two hours later than Mon. thru Thurs. If ran according to the Mon.-Thurs. plan it should not take any longer to close the OB dock on Fri as opposed to any other day...but it does.

The service centers just use this time to eliminate OT augmenting their numbers per the edicts of the TMs...and they all do it.

If the freight can be moved accordingly in the early parts of the week it can also be done on Friday. If we can't accomplish this task then we have more problems than we are being informed about.

Its more than 'old' when the LH dept. doesn't show up with a 'build report' until 5:30-5:45 pm...long after the OB has started and many trailers have been loaded (and at the larger SCs they are sitting on the fence by then.)

And I would imagine the OB FOSs think it is real old that they are expected to dance to the LH song about building this header or that...this pure or that...strip what needs to be stripped (albeit long after they have had to start their OB dock). But whatever the hell you do...don't be late to the FAC!!!

Its so 'old' it doesn't even faze me anymore...because you can't do what they want!

It gets 'old' when week after week you see the posters on the "Focus Accounts" hanging behind the glass informing us that this customer or that is having problems with claims and this freight must be loaded in a certain manner to reduce or eliminate claims...and the when we (the DSRs) attempt to do just that we are informed we not loading high and tight! We are loading correctly to reach the load factor numbers dictated by ther Crystal Palace.

The 'old' and tired practice of forced loading has never worked. And it won't work here as well. Loading freight for the sake of loading it is assinine. I have seen two foot square skids loaded in the nose of a trailer simply because the FOS or TM doesn't want it docked. Now it has to moved half a dozen times before an adequate spot is found for said piece of freight in the loading of the trailer...MORONS!!!

You want load factor???...forget the cotton ball, potato chip and plastic auto part auto accounts and concentrate on the heavy 45x48 skids of freight that weigh 2000 lb./per skid and I will give them all the load factor they want and I will floor load it and reduce your claims ratio to the point of "Star Card" results...forget the Mom and Pop accounts that ship a small 300 pound skid once or twice a week...eliminate the 'specialized' accounts that require specific handling needs and just do the heavy stuff...

But whatever the hell they do...this company needs to stop telling me all their failures is my fault...I have no authority...I have no say-so in the decision making process...yet I am held accountable for someone else's ideologies as to what is correct.

Rat
now this is what I call a good rant. It sould be copied and sent to CGO.

Ok we know why and the how the freight is damaged so what is being done to fix this problem. We see the same place's and the same people doing it. When are the gods going to put their foot down and do something about this? I have waiting to see some action on this issue for a while.

Our FOS has been taking pictures of each load before the door gets closed, and the seal goes on. I don't think we've had many complaints, so he may be just doing this on his own?

Working at an FAC The night before Christmas eve, I got injured pretty bad because of this.
I was opening the door of my 2nd breaker, and felt no resistance. I got the door up about 1-1/2 feet, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood with heavy coils of metal on top slammed down on end across my foot like a gilotine. Immediately swelled up like a balloon, and badly bruised.
FAC was nice enough to give me 2 loads to hook up, and take home. (Moving the dolly around hopping on one foot sure was fun!)

Next day, the entire top of my foot was black & blue.
Luckily I didn't break anything, but Doc said It bruised the bones in my foot pretty badly.
Still black & blue and still hurts, but I'm working tonight.

Damaged freight is bad enough, but there's also damaged co-workers that come from this.

Our FOS has been taking pictures of each load before the door gets closed, and the seal goes on. I don't think we've had many complaints, so he may be just doing this on his own?

Working at an FAC The night before Christmas eve, I got injured pretty bad because of this.
I was opening the door of my 2nd breaker, and felt no resistance. I got the door up about 1-1/2 feet, and a sheet of 3/4" plywood with heavy coils of metal on top slammed down on end across my foot like a gilotine. Immediately swelled up like a balloon, and badly bruised.
FAC was nice enough to give me 2 loads to hook up, and take home. (Moving the dolly around hopping on one foot sure was fun!)

Next day, the entire top of my foot was black & blue.
Luckily I didn't break anything, but Doc said It bruised the bones in my foot pretty badly.
Still black & blue and still hurts, but I'm working tonight.

Damaged freight is bad enough, but there's also damaged co-workers that come from this.

Did you fill out an injury report ?

Did you fill out an injury report ?
Yes, thanks.
At first, I limped back to my forktruck, and tried to shrug it off. Almost started to black out from the pain. A co-worker sugguested going over to the restroom, so I wouldn't be seen standing around and get yelled at, lol. I took his advice, and found a bench nearby.

Got my sock and boot off and it looked pretty bad, so I let the sector supervisor know. He immediately sent me up front to fill out an accident report. Manager gave me an ice pack and accident form, got me two loads, and sent me back to my barn.
Manager at my barn couldn't believe they didn't take me to the hospital right there.
Got home 3:30 am, and put more ice on it. Tried to get a couple hours sleep. I called our Personel supervisor, who told me to go to their doctor immediately, and have it checked. Tm told me whatever the outcome, I was to take that night off.
I sincerely felt terrible being the low guy on the totem pole, and not having to work that night. I'm glad he made me do it though. Staying off it, I was still in agony that night.
I have a follow up appointment on Wed., but I know I'll be fine.

Rat

Couldn't agree with you more. Rat, you ever thought of being a philosopher?