FedEx Freight | 2 Many City Drivers

Purple Haze

TB Lurker
Credits
@ our Center Management Has Been Hiring City Drivers Like Crazy. What I Don't Understand Is We Have Anywhere From 2-4 Sitting @ Home Everyday. So Why Hire People We Don't Need???? Then Today I Saw That Another Posting Was Up. This Place Is So Upside Down Anymore....

Where's this at driver? I'd like to apply there. I can't get a day off around here. That gig sitting at home seems right up my alley

We have hired a ton of city drivers, the problem is they are part time. They used our center as a test to see if they could utilize part time city drivers to make the operation more efficient. They are doing early drop and hooks or one or two stop trailers then going home.

We have hired a ton of city drivers, the problem is they are part time. They used our center as a test to see if they could utilize part time city drivers to make the operation more efficient. They are doing early drop and hooks or one or two stop trailers then going home.

That's wetarded! Hope they live close to the center

My term manager tells me the other day if I wanted to come back to the city I told him I don't wanna be at the bottom he then tells me as many city drivers that I'm gonna hire do it now and you won't be at the bottom.......

We are over staffed at my terminal and also in the process of hiring more city drivers. It is all about the numbers and Management bonuses. They want you to run like a deer and be empty by 1400 make a few pickups and hurry back before you get any overtime. Simply put the faster you go the less you make and the more management makes. It has got to the point that they will blow off pickups because the want you back at the terminal to satisfy their numbers. Sad way to run this place IMHO. They want more bodies to spread the work out to make the numbers. This is a real tough place to make a living at. I know of no other freight company that operates like this.

This is going to continue. Heard this first hand from a someone that runs an entire center. This is going to be pushed company wide....more drivers. Each center will log same road hours with more drivers. This ensures delivery by 2pm of everything. My center is as slow as it has ever been in 3 years and are hiring more city.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I use to get 7-10 pickups in my area, but ever since the before 1400 rule I've been getting 3 to 4 pickups a day. Our service center is running an additional guy on my route to make pickups and keep him busy. I use to come in at the end of the day with a full 48' trailer, now it's only about a quarter full.

Emery (CF/CNF) did the same thing, they used contractors for pickups beyond a certian mile/area, usually ugly freight, and they used company drivers (7) to deliver early/guaranteed freight and p/u desirable/quick loading/unloading freight- within the city limits, only to have a linehaul contractor (CWF) take the freight to the airport. You were lucky to work 7 hours a day, great numbers for them. Working the dock was no option. The management had that covered.

The majority of the terminals were closed by 2200, the freight was loaded on their "purchase" trailer having to be there by 0600-0700 the next day. Conway truckload (at that time) was used.

They were purchased by UPS/Menlo Logistics the last I heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fedex put line haul in the barrow several years ago. It looks like local is going to join the party. Don't forget to close the cover when you jump in.

I think with the exception of short shuttle runs line haus is on the way out. Up here in the NW we are using PT both directions while guys on the extra board sit at home or work the dock. We use the choo choo for the same thing--both directions. Was told TAC put 500 skids on the choo choo last week instead of utilizing our own equipment. This was an order from FEDEX Trade Networks. Hope the train doesn't jump the tracks!! I just don't see it getting any better for line haul as long as Mr. Bill thinks trains and PT are just as good as our own drivers!! AFTER ALL CSX trains move all htat freight for just a gallon of fuel right?

My numbers are always great also.....actually I haven't looked at them in a few years. I must work at the twilight zone center,they never nag anyone about their city numbers. We are short handed due to injuries and vacations. They don't seem interested in hiring,with the exception of some clueless apprentices. Maybe we don't have a problem getting most of the freight off by 1400.