XPO | 2 Questions about rules & regulations

smallFRY

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys I need help with two issues that came up at my terminal yesterday. First off do to the bad weather this week we were closed Monday and Tuesday and the few people that showed up the rest of the week were forced to work 14hrs most days. For most of the day friday management walked around the dock telling only a select few to be ready to come in on Saturday! They never went by any seniority list and they all said different things i.e. "be ready to come in Saturday" "its mandatory" "were forcing from the bottom" and one person in management even walked into the office and pointed at 3 random drivers and said be here at 7am. Before some of the city guys returned they had already received text messages to there handhelds with start time for Saturday. But in no order! For example they would tell 4 driver in a row down the list then skip 6 pick 3 and then skip 4 more! When I returned from my run I had 23mins of my 14hrs to drop out i was told by the FOS to drop out and come back to break a load. I told him that my 14hrs were about up, and he then told me that everyone had to work over there 14. We had guys who were working 17 18 and even 19hrs. Question #1 can they make you work more then 14 & #2 can they force you to come in on Saturday ?

Your allowed "1" 16 hour day in a 70hr work week, as far a working saturday I guess that could be "discretionary" adj. (Left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment. Available for use as needed or desired) on there part. However two points being, 1.(if you need the money and missed some days why not work?) 2. It is the slow season and if your at the bottom of the list you may not work next week.
And your other point about people working more then 16hrs, "Greedy to some exstent"!! I hope they dont have a accident!! D.O.T will be all over that log book like flies on ::shit::

Saturday work order.

1. Volunteers by seniority
2. Those with less than 40 hours by reverse seniority.
3. Those left by reverse seniority.

As far as 14 goes, as long as you are back in the yard by your 14 hour, you can work past 14 as long as you don't do any more driving. You would have been better burning a 16 put in the city. Once you use a 16 hour exception, you must be off the clock by 16 hours,no working past it(federal law).

Saturday work order.

As far as 14 goes, as long as you are back in the yard by your 14 hour, you can work past 14 as long as you don't do any more driving. You would have been better burning a 16 put in the city. Once you use a 16 hour exception, you must be off the clock by 16 hours,no working past it(federal law).

Good info!! did not know that my self

Yes you can work over 14 as long as you dont drive after you have exceeded 14. And depending were your at on the board you could be forced to work on sat. It sounds to me that there trying desperately to make you a rich man... dont fight it youll be glad you did in two weeks!

Ok well I have a better understanding now. As far as coming in just because we missed 2 days of work is something else. I failed to mention that taking pto days are mandatory per management! I understand if you need the money come in.. But there were guys at the bottom that were never given the chance. I use to sign my name up for Saturday runs until I realized that 50% of that days pay goes to Uncle Sam..So put up a list if you don't fill the list force from the bottom. But forcing guys who already get Runs and Hours every week even in slow season is only going to **** the guys who don't off!!!

Ok well I have a better understanding now. As far as coming in just because we missed 2 days of work is something else. I failed to mention that taking pto days are mandatory per management! I understand if you need the money come in.. But there were guys at the bottom that were never given the chance. I use to sign my name up for Saturday runs until I realized that 50% of that days pay goes to Uncle Sam..So put up a list if you don't fill the list force from the bottom. But forcing guys who already get Runs and Hours every week even in slow season is only going to **** the guys who don't off!!!

If you want to take PTO day"s thats up to you! My understanding is the company cant make you make you take PTO day's till you a cuccumulate 140 hrs.. those PTO day's are for you to Bank! And as you should know by now the company does what the company wants, There's no "contract " here, matter of fact im still looking for a employee hand book!

If you want to take PTO day"s thats up to you! My understanding is the company cant make you make you take PTO day's till you a cuccumulate 140 hrs.. those PTO day's are for you to Bank! And as you should know by now the company does what the company wants, There's no "contract " here, matter of fact im still looking for a employee hand book!

Company handbook is now on the drivers portal...

I just spoke with some guys that were forced to come ...when they showed up at the time they were told there were not enuff forklifts
and they were told to go back home! I guess your right they do whatever they wanna do ..thanks for driving 2hrs to work see ya!

Thank's DC I found it! But it would be nice if there was a handbook available, I just went through 200 pages of pdf files, don't think I want to take a laptop to work.

Yes true 50% might go to uncle sam but also the other 50% is going to you.Get it today because tomorrow you might be setting home watching the soaps.

Saturday work order.

wrong. you can't drive past your 14 except the one 16 hour day. however you can work as many hours after your 14 but must still have 10 off before coming back on duty, and once you hit 70 you can,t drive but can still work the dock.

Saturday work order.

You have the order wrong.

Saturday work order.
1.those with less than 5 punches or 35 hours
2.volunteers by seniority
3.force from the bottom of the extra board

A driver with a bid start time or linehaul assignment cannot be forced to work on the weekend if he has already worked 5 punches or more than 35 hours that week.

That being said, I always will work the extra shift when asked because extra money in the paycheck is always a good thing. You never know when that extra money will make the difference between making the car note or buying food for your family.

Thank's DC I found it! But it would be nice if there was a handbook available, I just went through 200 pages of pdf files, don't think I want to take a laptop to work.

LOL I understand that, I take mine for a map to an unfamiliar pickup or delivery, most days I don't even use it, but it has saved my bacon more than once....

Hey guys I need help with two issues that came up at my terminal yesterday. First off do to the bad weather this week we were closed Monday and Tuesday and the few people that showed up the rest of the week were forced to work 14hrs most days. For most of the day friday management walked around the dock telling only a select few to be ready to come in on Saturday! They never went by any seniority list and they all said different things i.e. "be ready to come in Saturday" "its mandatory" "were forcing from the bottom" and one person in management even walked into the office and pointed at 3 random drivers and said be here at 7am. Before some of the city guys returned they had already received text messages to there handhelds with start time for Saturday. But in no order! For example they would tell 4 driver in a row down the list then skip 6 pick 3 and then skip 4 more! When I returned from my run I had 23mins of my 14hrs to drop out i was told by the FOS to drop out and come back to break a load. I told him that my 14hrs were about up, and he then told me that everyone had to work over there 14. We had guys who were working 17 18 and even 19hrs. Question #1 can they make you work more then 14 & #2 can they force you to come in on Saturday ?

1.) yes, as long as your not driving. 2.) Yes, as long as you have hours available to drive.