2 Steps Forward One Step Back

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So today was day number 2 out in the road. Learning to drive a big truck has pretty much been a two steps forward one step back wards ordeal for me. Which means that progress is being made it's being made slowly, but it is being made. I would like to thank everyone here for there on going support special thanks goes to ABFer, Grocery Thrower, Double R , Lazlo and Moneyman as well and Sugarfoot for showing up in the likes notifications.

Today I pretty much got my behind handed to me on starting the truck to roll from a stop. I have little to no manual car driving experience and I stalled the truck about 4 times today, one of those times was at an intersection it was out in the country, but I did have some cars behind me, I wanted the truck to be in 3rd gear and literally thought it was, but instead it was in 5th and my stars are very rocky I do not have a good feel for the clutch yet and tend to pop it and when you pop the clutch and your in gear 5 and not gear 3 it's no good. Now if I was in low gear I would just let the clutch out slowly and that would be it then shift up through the
gears, but we start out in third gear and today I was way over thinking it and my starts were rough that was my big step backwards today.

Now there was the customary missed gears and all that jazz, however my up shifting today especially this afternoon was in my opinion better, once I got the wheels moving I actually was able to run up through all the gears fairly okay. Was able to get on route 2 which is the non turnpike version of I-90 and I shifted on to the highway from gear 3 all the way up to 10 fairly well.

So the two steps forward were I was not jamming gears this afternoon and I was actually shifting through the gears upward okay. Clutch neutral clutch gear, go up to 1500 rpm or where you can hear the turbo start to kick and clutch neutral clutch gear again, then our trucks are 10 speeds so once you hit gear 5 flip the splitter up and go 6,7,8,9 and then 10 if you have to.

When I was on route 2 I shifted up to gear 10, but usually I stick around in gear 9 as my top gear.

The only time I run into gear 10 is if I am on a major interstate road and need to run at like 60 miles an hour or whatever. Usually 60 is fast enough (I don't think our trucks at school go any faster any how), Ohio's speed limit is 70 for everyone, but 60 is fast enough in a big truck especially for me driving, actually from what Mr.Grocery Thrower has said, him and I could have a small 2 truck convoy on the highway, he could set the pace in his Sysco truck and I would follow I wasn't going a mile over 60 so were pretty much set perfect for each other, it would be a fun little convoy ha-ha :shift:

Now if I was in my bus I would go right up to 70 no problem. Especially if I was in a newer MCI or Prevost with the Detroit 60 Series and the Allison automatics those big time buses like the MCI 4500s which are like the work horses those, things are very powerful and are built like a 1994 Chevy Impala SS where you hit the pedal and the speedometer keeps going up.

There is a guy in my class who drives the big buses for a living and he actually likes the bus business has no desire to leave it, just wants to pull a trailer with his buses and because of that needs to up grade his CDL to an A, he said those MCI's you put them in drive and they pretty much do there thing he said the company he works for got bought out by another bus company said they have the brand new top of the line MCI buses at his new company nothing older then 2013 said those buses cost $600,000 a piece. He told me what company he works for and I looked them up and there nice buses for bus line haul work they are absolutely top of the line, those MCI buses are really very nice pieces of machinery very expensive to buy, even used there a fortune.

The one thing though today that I learned and it really helped and Moneyman said it yesterday is you have to figure it out on your own and do your own thing. The instructor told me today "We can't let shifting distract us from what is going on out side." It pretty much is just like that, what's going on out side of the truck is more important then fighting with the shifter. Like turns and railroad tracks, I will not will not shift gears when cornering no shifting during corners and that makes total sense you need to be watching the road in front of you and the trailer especially the trailer I have my eye on the trailer the whole time.

As for down shifting I did the best I could today, but when conditions dictated and they did come up I said "Forget it." I clutched to the floor and eased on the break, like maybe I down shifted a couple gears, but was having trouble getting into a proper gear and said "Forget it at this point stopping is more important." So I would just bring it to a stop at the light or the stop sign and then shift it into third and start over from the top, that's really all you can do. The bottom line is at that point getting stopped is priority over fighting with the shifter, which is what I would do. So that kind of took an edge off of things.

Any how I have my bus retest tomorrow, I do not care about it as much, which is good, because that means I am confident and I have this tendency to stress and way over think things, and nothing good has ever come of that. That is my biggest problem in the truck is over thinking.
Alright that's enough this post is to long as it is and that is one nice thing, they let us drive the truck for an hour then switch to someone else, which is good, because a green person like me needs a break to let everything sink in, take a break watch someone else drive and cool your jets and then give it another shot later.

Even doing backing maneuvers in the yard there is only so many times you back the truck up through the cones, after about the 4th time backing through the cones you don't do any better and need to get out and take a break and let someone else go.

Any how that's all I got, I'm going to go do a mock bus pre trip just for the heck of it, catch you on the flip side.
Mike

P.S.
On a much lighter note and this is something that has never happened to me before, I was driving my pick up truck home from school today and I was coming up to a red light and my left foot involuntarily kicked for the clutch. My pick up truck is an automatic and that was the first time that has ever happened to me. After it happened I said to my self "Did you really just do that?" I thought it was pretty funny and maybe a sing of some kind of progress ha-ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
MikeJ, thank you, I do enjoy your posts. About curves, on a right hander, start with the left steer tire close to the center line and you will not have to watch the trailer wheels, and reverse for left hander, steer tire to lane edge (burm). Whether on a motorcycle, in a car or 18 wheeler, you want to do all braking and downshifting before the curve. Accelerate after approx. mid-point through the curve (apex). I know your beginning but, try not to push in the clutch and free wheel, you pick up un-intended speed and defeat what you were suppose to do. Better to lug it a little and concentrate and down shift before the engine stalls. Do they allow you to just bob-tail around the property to practice up and down shifting?
Keep us posted Mike.

MikeJ, thank you, I do enjoy your posts. About curves, on a right hander, start with the left steer tire close to the center line and you will not have to watch the trailer wheels, and reverse for left hander, steer tire to lane edge (burm). Whether on a motorcycle, in a car or 18 wheeler, you want to do all braking and downshifting before the curve. Accelerate after approx. mid-point through the curve (apex). I know your beginning but, try not to push in the clutch and free wheel, you pick up un-intended speed and defeat what you were suppose to do. Better to lug it a little and concentrate and down shift before the engine stalls. Do they allow you to just bob-tail around the property to practice up and down shifting?
Keep us posted Mike.

You know I am glad you asked that, about bob tailing around the yard and shifting and the answer to that question is no. We talked about that just us students amongst each other and they pretty much threw us right out into the fire one of the guys in my class felt like it was kind of a skipped step. I had it a little easy kind of, because I was the only person in my class with a passenger bus endorsement I was taught how to drive a bus first. Actually I'm a fairly decent bus driver (the one instructor said to me "You can drive the hell out of the bus") and actually I like driving the bus, always liked the charter bus and limousine industry and actually limousine and charter bus isn't all bad which is why I have the passenger bus endorsement to me it was well worth having and if I didn't forget to do my air leak check last week I would have passed the passenger bus test and pretty much have earned my Class B with Passenger Bus endorsement and HAZMAT too.

Any how for us they do not let us go in the yard and bob tail around they pretty much took the bulk of my class in a regular road tractor and a trailer and headed out onto the road. For me I had it a little easier because of bus training I was a little behind the curve so they took me to an industrial park and since I work during the week I only go to school on the weekend so they took me to an industrial park and did some shifting drills down there. Did that yesterday morning and this morning.

These instructors pretty much have no fear. I mean that's a good question do any of you guys think you could be a truck driving school instructor? I don't know if I could do that, job, but the guys who do it seem to like it.

I thought though that they would let us bob tail around the yard and shift like that, but no instead I was in a Freightliner Century tandem axle with a full condo sleeper pulling a 50 foot Great Dane Trailer that's what I learned to shift in. The school has two Freightliner Centuries probably 2006 models maybe a tad older both 10 speeds and one International 9400i which was an ex Heartland Express truck it's like a 2006 or older. Same deal full condo sleeper and I think it has a 48 foot trailer.

You know I should have brought all that up to, because your absolutely right and I probably should have clarified better yeah I won't freewheel around a bend or corner, what I do is like say the road has a curve and the curve goes to the right, what I do is move the truck as far left in my lane as I can and just like you said decelerate before the cure, sometimes down shifting around a curve isn't always needed, but I'll move as far left in my lane as I can and then I'll let off the fuel a little, maybe hit the break, not always, but sometimes and then once I get into the curve I'll hit the accelerator and pull that trailer right through the curve. They taught us and it makes total sense, that you always want to be pulling the trailer through the curve or turn and that you don't want the trailer pushing the truck that is very bad and is how people get into accidents. Same with like making a right or left turn, pull the trailer through the turn. Yeah your right and it was pretty much my policy today, let the motor lug a little and will figure it out once we get through the turn. The only time I would clutch and break is like coming to a light or stop sign where I knew I had to make a complete stop.

Usually though like if a railroad crossing is coming I'll slow down well in advance and get down into 6th gear which is about 20 miles an hour and that's plenty fast for a railroad crossing. Actually today was a good reason why you do not want to go through a railroad crossing fast, we were approaching a railroad crossing today and I mean it looked clear and all of a sudden the gates started to go down and the guy driving the truck said a word that I can't write on this board and he slammed on the breaks and the instructor went "Stop!" and all of a sudden a loud blast was heard and a CSX freight train probably 70 cars came rumbling through at about 45-50 miles per hour. Our truck is no match for a GE Dash 9 and an EMD SD40-2 which is what the lash up on this particular train was. I've seen videos on YouTube of a Norfolk Southern SD70 going 5 miles an hour hits a tractor trailer and just pushes the truck down rails like it's a toy.

That is while it seems like overkill one nice thing about the bus, in Ohio say you are driving a bus when you come to a railroad crossing you stop behind the chubby, put the bus in park and in neutral and open the door and look in both directions and then proceed across the tracks, have to have your four ways on the whole time too, that bus stopping at the tracks is a pretty big rule in Ohio if you screw that up and the proper authorities see it, you could be in for some real legal trouble.

Same with no shifting going over railroad tracks that's a federal rule and I understand it go over the tracks is no time to be shifting gears, you figure your already moving get off the train tracks you don't get a second chance with trains heck even if the train is going slow it will push a truck like it's a toy.

Also thank you for reading, my take on school and things isn't I guess what you would normally see from greenhorns, usually you read "Went to truck school, got my CDL went to Werner, Schneider whoever, picked a fight with my trainer and quit."

I figured what the heck I'll give an all access account of truck school, love them or hate them, and I know truck driving schools are a controversial topic ha-ha, but for me it was the best choice and I figured what ever I'm not to proud, I am not afraid to tell the world that I failed at things, heck I'll tell everyone I failed my CDL bus test the first time, forgot to do an air break bleed down test doing the pre trip and pretty much screwed my self. It was stupid too because if it wasn't for that I would have passed the bus pre trip. Heck I tell other students at school or the newer bus students what happened. Heck I was telling my story to some of the guys in my class and some woman who is a bus student I could tell she was listening, because these people don't know what there in for at the CDL testing yard heck I didn't know what I was in for, it's just a matter of doing it all.
I don't know if any new people are reading this and if it's helping them, I mean you know it's just one of those things you have to do.
I mean I was sweating bullets Saturday and even a little today, this shifting is pretty much a new concept to me and I am kind of a high strung individual I'm always wound up and it's not that I can't handle it because I can, obviously I have, it's just the more times you do it the better you get.

Also remember all trucks are different. Each truck shifts differently. Might have the same specs as the other but it will be different. One reason why I don't like slip seating

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Also remember all trucks are different. Each truck shifts differently. Might have the same specs as the other but it will be different. One reason why I don't like slip seating

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That's true, all of the trucks are different even in the yard, the school has a couple older Sterlings and I really don't care for them and don't really drive them to much. I found that out the first day we did straight line backing all trucks are a little different and, I said to my self "you know I bet this, is why guys don't like slip seating." It's a lot easier to drive the same truck over and over then always fight with a new truck all the time.

Heck buses are the same way especially school buses and International Thomas Bus is not the same as an International Wayne School Bus. The front hood and Chasie might be the same, but that's about where it stops. That was one of the reasons I lost points on my bus pre trip the first time. The Thomas School Bus we have at school is different from the Wayne School Bus the CDL yard owns.

Personally I like the Thomas Bus better some of the features it has make more sense and obviously I am not the only one who thinks that way considering Thomas is still around, but Wayne went out of business 18-19 years ago.

That's true, all of the trucks are different even in the yard, the school has a couple older Sterlings and I really don't care for them and don't really drive them to much. I found that out the first day we did straight line backing all trucks are a little different and, I said to my self "you know I bet this, is why guys don't like slip seating." It's a lot easier to drive the same truck over and over then always fight with a new truck all the time.

Heck buses are the same way especially school buses and International Thomas Bus is not the same as an International Wayne School Bus. The front hood and Chasie might be the same, but that's about where it stops. That was one of the reasons I lost points on my bus pre trip the first time. The Thomas School Bus we have at school is different from the Wayne School Bus the CDL yard owns.

Personally I like the Thomas Bus better some of the features it has make more sense and obviously I am not the only one who thinks that way considering Thomas is still around, but Wayne went out of business 18-19 years ago.

Thats interesting Mike, here in OK, we have to provide our own bus to take the test, thats one reason I never took the test, I have no access to a bus.

Thats interesting Mike, here in OK, we have to provide our own bus to take the test, thats one reason I never took the test, I have no access to a bus.

First off ha-ha I saw your avatar message changed and I thought You know I haven't heard any Tool lately I'll throw some on. So I put on The Pot which is my favorite tool song, we used to jam out to Tool at the restaurant after hours when we were cleaning and getting it set up for the next day.

It's funny how all this works, the school I go to owns 2 buses one International Thomas Bus and one International Carpenter Bus. The Carpenter Bus is the older one and has some goofy controls. The set up as far as the transmission and parking break are all the same, but the door, passenger entrance light, emergency lights, controls for the 8 ways if your doing school bus and stop arms is all different.

In Ohio the CDL yard that my school uses owns 2 tractor trailers a straight truck and like a 1995 Wayne School Bus. What I essentially did was rented the school bus from the CDL yard to take my test in.
The school bus they had was a mid 1990's Wayne Lifestar Conventional International Bus. It was probably a 45 passenger school bus and it was a legit school bus, stop arms 8 ways the whole deal.

In Ohio we have a couple CDL yards that are run by CDL issuing companies which is the one that my school uses and then there are a couple CDL yards that are run by the State Highway Patrol.
The CDL testing companies pretty much either say you can bring your own bus or use there's. Like when my dad got his CDL 25 years ago he had his own truck and trailer and took the CDL test in his own truck and trailer. My school has there own truck and trailer parked at the CDL yard, so we don't use the CDL yards trucks for the CDL test, but we do use the CDL yards bus. Pretty much you can bring your own or use there's. Now at the CDL yard that is owned and operated by the State Highway Patrol I think your on your own for your vehicle. Personally, the CDL yard we use I think is a good one, there a tad nicer about things then the Highway Patrol is. What's funny is the CDL yard that I went to is the same CDL yard my dad went to years ago.

My grandmother she is a retired school bus driver, but she was grandfathered in she had an old school chauffeurs license which is a relic of the past now and then she was just grandfathered a CDL sometime in the 1980's. I think what the modern day CDL came around about what 1987-1988. My dad said when he got his it was the late 80's early 90's and the test had just gotten a lot harder then it had been. Although he told me from what he remembers the pre trip inspection was a tad easier in his day then it is now, but he said it was the same thing, you had to do an full blown pre trip inspection for the examiner, do the in cab, do the exact same air break test and explain to the examiner what is happening the whole time.

I tell you what it would be hard to get your hands on a bus they are not readily available like a truck is I mean the garage where I park my carpet cleaning van also has tractor trailer parking and there are all kinds of trucks and trailers parked there that don't ever move, if any of those trucks were legal you could probably give the owner a couple hundred bucks and have a truck to take your test in.

However buses are a different story there expensive on the front end and back end there aren't to many people that are going to park a 2002 used $80,000 MCI or Prevost. Usually they keep those things running all the time. Once they get pulled out of line-haul service from a big bus carrier usually a limousine or small charter company will pick them up. The other thing is I can't call a bus or limousine company and ask them if I could rent one of there buses to take my CDL test in that would totally not fly unless you already worked at the limousine/ bus company and then again do they want to have there $600,000 bus tied down at the CDL yard or out on the road generating revenue? The reason you test in a school bus, usually is because school buses are the cheapest of all the buses to get your hands on, no CDL yard is going to spend $80,000 to buy a used MCI tag axle to test people on, that would just be ridiculous.

In my opinion because of the dynamics of the way things go it's tricky getting your hands on a bus to get a passenger endorsement. Most people don't opt for passenger bus endorsements, me personally I am totally thrilled I did, a Class B with a passenger bus endorsement is way more valuable then just a Class B CDL.

In fact here in Ohio the truck driving schools most of them will not let you get just a Class B. They make you take the passenger bus test. Like if I went to school and said I need a class B for my job they would say okay your in the passenger bus program.

It's funny here in Ohio you can rent the CDL yards bus to take your test in ha-ha. Really school buses are an interesting topic there are a lot of different school bus manufacturers and types of school buses and school buses are one of those things where you can go as cheap and bare bones as you want, or you can go nuts and spend as much money as you please and can have them specked 8 ways to Sunday. Where I live the school district still does have some Waynes for the mid 1990's still in service I thought they got rid of all of them, but I guess not.