ABF | 2008 Negotiations

Does anybody think that they will start observing the 34 hr. restart rule? I wouldn't mind getting that put in. Can anyone tell me why they don't recognize the rule.
Here's why. Let's say a terminal has 200 drivers and 100 of them are on the extra board. If 30 of the extra board men ran an extra trip each week due to the 34 hour reset, at let's say, 500 miles per trip......that's a 15,000 mile gain in efficiency and a loss of five 3000 mile per week or six jobs of 2,500 miles at the bottom of the board. Naturally the more guys who ran the extra trip the more job losses at the bottom. It would also mean less new men would be hired in the future.

I had a fairly new guy in the spring of 04 (when Tyson J. and the Companies were fighting over this) cursing Tyson J. and asking me how he could do this....I told him that in May, when freight is good and everybody's working he might not see the negative of the 34 hour reset.....but wait until November,December, January, February.....the slow season....then he would sit at home while the guys above him ran the extra trip.....he didn't like the sound of that too much...when I added the part about the lack of new hires in the future he said they didn't matter because they weren't even hired yet.....I replied that these new hires were very important to his future and he couldn't see how.....I told him that the money paid into the retirement funds on behalf of these new hires would be what he retired on. I told him that sometimes a guy really needs to look past this week's paycheck and think about the bigger picture. He finally saw what I was talking about and said he'd never even considered the things I told him but now it made a lot of sense.

I worked under the 34 hour rule at USF Dugan.
It might sound good to some of you but i lived it. It was forced on us. My BIG old weekend was from Saturday about 10am till 8pm Sunday 8pm. I Hated it week after week month after month it gets very old. I don't want any part of it. At ABF we are forced on 6 dispatches before we get a meager 48 hours off and we get called 48 for 50 to the minute. God forbid we get 34 hour restart what is next 7 ,8 or 9 forced dispatches. Where dose it end how much time a week is enough?
I have to give time away to the company to much now!!
ABF clams to be a family company my wife is a Chief in the Navy reserve and had been activated to war and I have 2 small children. Abf forces me to stay out for 4 beds sometimes and i tell them i have to go home. Sorry you are laying down and we don't know when you are going home but my wife is fighting for the country, OK congratulations you are still not going home. My family doesn't fit into the cooperate plan.

If they get 34 hour restart some of us will be forced out on it and you don,t want to be forced out.