New Penn | 2008 NMFA Ballot

Credits
It is painfully obvious that the IBT is trying to ram this shameful TA to ratification. From the freight updates stating all delegates at the 2 man except 1 unanimously recommend ratification, to the robo-call from Tyson Johnson received recently encouraging members to vote yes (by the way when was the last time the IBT called and told members to vote yes , everyone I've talked to and this includes some 30 year Teamsters says never) to the less than one week to review and form a decision on the proposal.

Because of these stated facts I believe the ballot will include a strike authorization vote attached to the NO votes.

Many of the members may believe this means we go on strike if this thing is voted down. Nothing could be further from the truth. Both parties (IBT and TMI) know a strike would be devastating.

Even if we wanted to strike we could not at this time; the contract is still in full force and effect until March 31, 2008 and a strike now would be a violation of the contract and open up the Union for law suits to recoup damages caused by a strike. Article 8 Section 3 of the NMFA sets very limited parameters under which a strike may be called mid-term in a contract and a rejection of a contract proposal while the contract is still in effect is not one of them.

I personally will be voting NO, with that said every member has the right to vote his conscience without fear of the unknown or coercion through a fear tactic.

If you are reading this and doubt my analysis please read Article 8 Section 3 for yourselves. Those active freight members who also believe in a members right to vote without any type of coersive act please talk the members in your barns and inform them a NO vote does not mean we will go on strike, there is 2 and 1/2 months left to send them back to the table and fix this proposal.

It is painfully obvious that the IBT is trying to ram this shameful TA to ratification. From the freight updates stating all delegates at the 2 man except 1 unanimously recommend ratification, to the robo-call from Tyson Johnson received recently encouraging members to vote yes (by the way when was the last time the IBT called and told members to vote yes , everyone I've talked to and this includes some 30 year Teamsters says never) to the less than one week to review and form a decision on the proposal.

Because of these stated facts I believe the ballot will include a strike authorization vote attached to the NO votes.

Many of the members may believe this means we go on strike if this thing is voted down. Nothing could be further from the truth. Both parties (IBT and TMI) know a strike would be devastating.

Even if we wanted to strike we could not at this time; the contract is still in full force and effect until March 31, 2008 and a strike now would be a violation of the contract and open up the Union for law suits to recoup damages caused by a strike. Article 8 Section 3 of the NMFA sets very limited parameters under which a strike may be called mid-term in a contract and a rejection of a contract proposal while the contract is still in effect is not one of them.

I personally will be voting NO, with that said every member has the right to vote his conscience without fear of the unknown or coercion through a fear tactic.

If you are reading this and doubt my analysis please read Article 8 Section 3 for yourselves. Those active freight members who also believe in a members right to vote without any type of coersive act please talk the members in your barns and inform them a NO vote does not mean we will go on strike, there is 2 and 1/2 months left to send them back to the table and fix this proposal.

brother, i agree with you 100% but unfortunately some of our co-workers aren't smart enough to figure this all out. it certainly doesn't help when our steward addresses us and states that if we vote NO, it also means that we may be striking. the smart guys know that a strike aint gonna happen but comments like that scare the sh*t out of the uninformed ones. there are 2 things that will let this contract pass : lack of info on the part of the member & ignorance !