TForce | 2009 UPS Profits (report 2/3/09 and tomorrow is reporting day 4/23/09

ibamars

TB Lurker
Credits
So tomorrow is reporting day. here is an article I found from February 2009 with analyzing.

Curious to see tomorrow how bad the report will really be.

UPS hit by global slump
Shipping giant to freeze management salaries, suspend 401(k) match
By RACHEL TOBIN RAMOS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The recession cut into earnings at shipping giant UPS in the fourth quarter, and the company said Tuesday that 2009 “will undoubtedly be one of the most difficult” in its history.

Although it remains solidly profitable, Sandy Springs-based UPS also became the latest corporation to announce it will suspend matches for employees’ 401(k) contributions. In addition, it is freezing management salaries.

“What a difference a year makes,” Chief Executive Scott Davis told analysts in an earnings conference call. “A year ago, we were optimistic about our prospects. Very few saw what was about unfold.”

He said 2009 is very hard to predict, prompting the company to look at “everything” for cost cuts. So far, it’s found about $500 million in savings, he said.

Fourth-quarter profit rose to $254 million, or 25 cents a share, including $575 million in charges related to freight operations. Excluding the charge, net profit was $829 million, or 83 cents a share.

In the same period of 2007 UPS posted a loss of $2.64 billion, due to a $6.1 billion write-off in relation to withdrawing UPS employee pensions from the Central States Pension Plan.

For comparison purposes, on an adjusted basis, fourth quarter 2008 profit was down 22 percent from a year ago, UPS said.

Total revenue for the period slid 5.2 percent to $12.7 billion, as average daily volume worldwide dropped 2.3 percent.

Earnings for the full year were $3.50 a share, within the range the company provided at mid-year but about 3 cents shy of Wall Street analysts’ expectations.

Davis, in the conference call, said analysts and investors should keep in mind UPS’s brand power and history of emerging strong from recessions.

“I want to remind you that we’re a great company that’s just operating in a bad economy right now,” he said. “Great companies do weather the storm and they come out stronger. What it comes down to is the strength of our balance sheet, the power of our brand.”

Wall Street seemed to agree, boosting UPS shares by more than 6 percent in late-morning trading Tuesday.

Plummeting oil prices provided one bright spot in the fourth quarter report, with fuel costs falling nearly 13 percent to $808 million. But full-year fuel costs rose 39 percent to $4.13 billion.

While suspending the 401(k) match, UPS said it is not making any changes to its longstanding defined benefit pension plan.

U.S. volume decreased in the fourth quarter by 4.4 percent with ground volume down 3.7 percent and Next Day Air declining 10.1 percent.

UPS is only offering guidance for the first quarter of 2009, projecting per-share earnings of 52 to 68 cents.

“Since economists do not expect any meaningful recovery until 2010, earnings in 2009 will suffer. Lower volume levels and reductions in package weight will put further pressure on margins. We anticipate the first quarter will be weak, with slight improvements later in the year as initiatives take hold,” Chief Financial Officer Kurt Kuehn said.

“The year will undoubtedly be one of the most difficult in UPS’s history,” he added.

Profit Plunges? It went from $900 million to $400 million. I think making $400 million when everyone else is running around looking for the government to save them is pretty good.

Hey profits were down. They cut their margins from 11.8% to 6% which is pretty dam good. They also said 2nd Q looks even worse could be down another 4-6%.

I guess it all depends on your point of view. Do you want to see how bad things are or how well we are surviving. I just drive one truck, and if the paycheck clears on Thursday, I will be here Friday.

Saia lost $6.3 million in the first quarter.

YRC lost $257.4 million in the first quarter.

ABF lost $18.2 million in the first quarter.

Old Dominion Made a profit of $4 million in the first quarter.

Con Way lost $154 million in the first quarter.

Fedex Made a profit of $97 million.

UPS Made a profit of $401 million.

Which boat you you rather be in?

Saia lost $6.3 million in the first quarter.

YRC lost $257.4 million in the first quarter.

ABF lost $18.2 million in the first quarter.

Old Dominion Made a profit of $4 million in the first quarter.

Con Way lost $154 million in the first quarter.

Fedex Made a profit of $97 million.

UPS Made a profit of $401 million.

Which boat you you rather be in?

I do agree that because of our "parent" company we are in better shape than the other guys, but I was talking to our mechanic supervisor and he said UPS Freight lost $5.1 million.

And according to him, UPS Freight and UPS have two differant checkbooks, thats why we aren't seeing as many new trucks and trailers as everyone expects, or thinks we should have.

Well that got us talking. According to him, if after 8 or 10 years, UPS has the option to sell off UPS Freight and have a tax write off of EVERY penny they stuck into us.
That is of course if we aren't making any money.
Now I don't see that happening, or atleast hope it doesn't happen.

I think UPS saw potential in the big "O" that is part of the reason for the purchase, cuz you know dam well they had a "Bean counter" doing nothing but count beans for 40 hrs. a week looking at every angle, potential and dillema before the purchase.:greedy:

So now with all that being said, maybe we should worry about us making money a little more, instead of having the attitude of "OH well, UPS has deep pockets"...

I do agree that because of our "parent" company we are in better shape than the other guys, but I was talking to our mechanic supervisor and he said UPS Freight lost $5.1 million.

And according to him, UPS Freight and UPS have two differant checkbooks, thats why we aren't seeing as many new trucks and trailers as everyone expects, or thinks we should have.

Well that got us talking. According to him, if after 8 or 10 years, UPS has the option to sell off UPS Freight and have a tax write off of EVERY penny they stuck into us.

I think UPS saw potential in the big "O" that is part of the reason for the purchase, cuz you know dam well they had a "Bean counter" doing nothing but count beans for 40 hrs. a week looking at every angle, potential and dillema before the purchase.:greedy:

So now with all that being said, maybe we should worry about us making money a little more, instead of having the attitude of "OH well, UPS has deep pockets"...

Great post loopy. As a whole company, UPS made a profit. As a single entity UPS Freight's pants fell off. It was predicted we would suffer. Overall we controlled our costs.
I hope no one starts a rumor on UPS kicking us to the curb.

I think Old Dominion is the only LTL that posted a profit in the 1Q.

As long as FedEx has their Freight division, UPS will have theirs. There has been proven potential in the LTL market, Lots of profit to be found.
This sour economy has also made LTL companies reevaluate how they do business. We are all going to come out of this leaner and meaner.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should continue to make strides in helping our company grow and thrive. Parcel picked up the slack and the least we can do as front line workers is to continue to keep the customers happy and participate in our leads program.

It's great that our TB members are reading up on the financials of their company.

Loopy, is your mechanic supervisor credible with his info?

Great post loopy. As a whole company, UPS made a profit. As a single entity UPS Freight's pants fell off. It was predicted we would suffer. Overall we controlled our costs.
I hope no one starts a rumor on UPS kicking us to the curb.

I think Old Dominion is the only LTL that posted a profit in the 1Q.

As long as FedEx has their Freight division, UPS will have theirs. There has been proven potential in the LTL market, Lots of profit to be found.
This sour economy has also made LTL companies reevaluate how they do business. We are all going to come out of this leaner and meaner.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should continue to make strides in helping our company grow and thrive. Parcel picked up the slack and the least we can do as front line workers is to continue to keep the customers happy and participate in our leads program.

It's great that our TB members are reading up on the financials of their company.

Loopy, is your mechanic supervisor credible with his info?

You are correct in saying as long as FEDEX has an LTL company, UPS will too. I was gonna say the same thing I just forgot, and didn't realize it until I read it afterward.

As far as our mechanic supervisor's credibility goes, let me just say that, he is a just a mechanic supervisor. would you or anyone on this forum trust the credibility of their's?

There is only so much you take in from them.

It's like watching the news for information about the Government or for local news. I don't know about you, but I, myself don't take to heart what the media says about the Government cuz it's controlled by the Government. So I watch VERY carefully what I take in as far as Government stories go. Then I do my own reaserch on it.

As far as our mechanic supervisor's credibility goes, let me just say that, he is a just a mechanic supervisor. would you or anyone on this forum trust the credibility of their's?

I would have to say...uh....NO!
Only because of a few things that I witnessed.

Had a trailer deadlined for a few days. Suddenly it's ready to go!
Turns out all they did was fix the floors and not PM the thing.
The trailer door track was broken!:Flame-On:
How could they not notice that after fixing the floors? It's apparent that they did not shut the trailer door prior to moving it from the shop. Thats something they preach day in and day out. "Do not move trailers with the doors up because it causes strain on the rollers" (They ate crow on that one)

Was told that smokers need to stop smoking in company equipment.
Of course we know it's company policy....BUT!!
The mechanic supervisor said the ashes are getting into the sealed computer module and shorting them. :biglaugh: (He ate the crows azz on that one cause we all laughed our azzes off when he said that.)

I guess he thinks we are stupid.

As a single entity UPS Freight's pants fell off.

How do you come to this conclusion? Is it from this......

In a worsening LTL environment, UPS Freight posted declines in revenue, shipments and tonnage, compared with last year. However, there was month-over-month improvement in each of these metrics through the period. The business unit experienced increasing sales traction as more customers adopted its LTL shipping technology

I have not seen any numbers that single out UPS freight alone. I would like to see a link to them if they exsist.

Supply Chain and Freight are grouped together on the 1st quarter results, they are as follows:

Revenue : 1.75 billion
Operating PROFIT : 40 million
Operating margin : 2.3%

I was talking to our mechanic supervisor and he said UPS Freight lost $5.1 million.

I would like to see the source of this info. Not looking to get in a big arguement, just checkin the facts.:shift:

I have not seen any numbers that single out UPS freight alone. I would like to see a link to them if they exsist.

Supply Chain and Freight are grouped together on the 1st quarter results, they are as follows:

I would like to see the source of this info. Not looking to get in a big arguement, just checkin the facts.:shift:

I agree facts are always good. I would love to read the UPSF specifics myself.

My conclusion came from the 1Q report as well as hearing the non specifics from my TM.
I don't think your going to find any links that single out UPS Freight alone other than finding out through a salesman, terminal manager or anyone in the "know".

Supply Chain and Freight always seem to be grouped together.
The 1Q numbers you posted compared with last years 2008 1Q numbers showed had a sharp decline.

ups042309d.gif

Our overall outlook is good and I truly believe we will weather the storm and become leaner and meaner, especially with the "One Stop" shopping portfolio we have for our customers.

I don't have a "credible" source of info., if you look at my above posts, you will see that my source of info. was from a redneck who has no credibility as far as UPS' money and management goes.

Just like the numbers you just gave, where is the source of that info.? I'm not saying you have no credibility or that your a redneck, but how am I supposed to take your word over someone elses, and I don't even know you.
But I'm also not saying that my source was right either. I started the post "I was talking to" and "According to him".
I have nothing to base my facts on, but it is something to look at if it is true. I did try to look more into it but I came across nothing, everything I came up with was about UPS as a whole company, not as seperate entities.

I'm not digging at you, or trying to insult you in any way, but I am calling you out, just like you did me and Dockworker.

I did say that "With all that being said", and then I went on about how according to what he said, maybe we should worry more about our position as a UPS entity than I previously thought atleast.

I noticed this topic has info from other financial websites.

This is right from the horses mouth.
You won't find any UPSF specifics in there as we are grouped with Supply chain.
I still say...the TM holds the answers.

UPS Announces 1Q Results

Just like the numbers you just gave, where is the source of that info.?.......... how am I supposed to take your word over someone elses.

The numbers are directly from the 1st quarter report, put out by UPS.

I guess i should've had you direct your shop sup to read that report.

I'll go back in my hole. :hide:

The numbers are directly from the 1st quarter report, put out by UPS.

I guess i should've had you direct your shop sup to read that report.

I'll go back in my hole. :hide:

There's no hole to go into. I understood your intentions and I'm sure Loopy also understood.

If I can't trust what my shop supervisor says, I sure as ::shit:: am not going to accept his UPS financial opinions as final word.

No harm no foul and keep posting away. :thumbsup:

I kind of disagree this goes hand and hand with another post I made about were hauling freight for cost, there is a pricewar going on right now in the LTL world and whoever has the deepest pockets will win, alot of LTL companies are hauling freight for cost or less to keep that freight from going to a competitor.

There will only be 3 or 4 LTL companies left in a few years how many more quarters can these other companies keep losing money like they did this quarter? And how are they gonna make money when there are companies hauling freight for cost?

How many package delivery companies are still around? Ever wonder why?