TForce | 2009 UPS Profits (report 2/3/09 and tomorrow is reporting day 4/23/09

So does that mean you think UPS bought Overnite expecting to lose money? I will say, I think they wanted to get into LTL to be competitive with FEDEX.

But I can't see them buying into something, and lose money they don't see potential in.

no, when they bought us the economy was fine, things change, and they adapt, UPS thinks longterm, get rid of the competition then they can raise rates all they want to.

Just a recap of the thread so far, From the Quarterly Earnings report it says UPS made $400 million, UPS Freight and Supply chain made $40 million.

But a Mechanic Supervisor somewhere says we really lost $5 million.

I did pretty good last quarter, I know that to be true. And I have had winters in past years where we really slowed down and sat home a lot. I am not selling off the kids quite yet. I go by what I see and what's happened in the past. I don't have a lot of faith in what people tell me I should see, or what they think is going to happen.

Just a recap of the thread so far, From the Quarterly Earnings report it says UPS made $400 million, UPS Freight and Supply chain made $40 million.

But a Mechanic Supervisor somewhere says we really lost $5 million.

I did pretty good last quarter, I know that to be true. And I have had winters in past years where we really slowed down and sat home a lot. I am not selling off the kids quite yet. I go by what I see and what's happened in the past. I don't have a lot of faith in what people tell me I should see, or what they think is going to happen.

You forgat the last few posts before you that was questioning UPS' intentions on buying an LTL company.... :grinning-smiley-021

I worked for 15 different LTL trucking companies as a city driver in 45 years before I retired last year.
I found that if any of them were making as little as 1 cent,yes just a penny on the dollar after expenses they were happy.

So as long as UPS is still profiting more than a dollar over all, you all should be ok.
Its when these LTL's have to spend a dollar or more to make a dollar.
Well let me put it like this every company other than Overnite/UPS Freight I worked for are no longer in the trucking business because they were doing just that.
Operating over a dollar to make a dollar.

Hello,
For company financial reports, I view and attempt to analyze information on the US Securities and Exchange Commission web site. Note that not all SEC filings are audited (meaning that some of the numbers could be nonfactual.)

Some of you might find the following UPS (1Q)SEC filing to be of interest.

EX-99.1

OR THIS LINK:

EX-99.1

Best Wishes,
jdgee