FedEx Freight | 2011 Poll Company Seniority or Board Seniority

Company Seniority or Board Seniority

• Company Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 84 48.3%
  • Board Seniority for all bids and vacations

Votes: 90 51.7%

• Total voters
Heck with all the changes might as well go by company seniority. Can't say I want one board though. It would be nice to be able to transfer to another center with my seniority also.

Company seniority

Time with the company should mean something.[/QUO
I was hired in the city November 2009. I transferred to the road in december 2009. The company needed 3 road drivers at the time. I was the bottom in the city so I went along with two others. 3 weeks later the co. decided they would hire 37 more road drivers. All the guys that didn't want to be at the bottom when they hired only 3 decided to come to road now. Is that fair that they pass up the job and I take it and then later they decide they want to be a road driver and it could possibly cause me to get laid off. I can't take my co. seniority and bump into the city. Thats why we need board seniority or once you pass the road then you can't take your co. seniority with you for layoff purposes later when you decide to go to the road.

I was hired in the city November 2009. I transferred to the road in december 2009. The company needed 3 road drivers at the time. I was the bottom in the city so I went along with two others. 3 weeks later the co. decided they would hire 37 more road drivers. All the guys that didn't want to be at the bottom when they hired only 3 decided to come to road now. Is that fair that they pass up the job and I take it and then later they decide they want to be a road driver and it could possibly cause me to get laid off. I can't take my co. seniority and bump into the city. Thats why we need board seniority or once you pass the road then you can't take your co. seniority with you for layoff purposes later when you decide to go to the road.

Only your company seniority will save you in a layoff situation regardless of which board you are on...
In the perfect world I would like to see, it would be 1 board seniority and in the event of a layoff, everybody would know exactly where they stand.....
I don't think a 15 yr road driver should lose his job because there is not enough slots just because a 6 yr city driver happens to hold a job in the city and I feel the same way that a 15 yr city man should not lose his job if a 6 yr road driver has a job....

I transferred from HSG to NHS. They used my company seniority to bid (falling in behind all former Watkins/National drivers). However, I lost my road board seniority as it was considered a voluntary transfer. My new road board seniority is now January 30, 2011. I lost four (4) years of road board seniority. Had I been able to dovetail into the road board, I would have faired much better.

In KC I was at National. We had people transfer over to road positions from freight that went behind me on bidding seniority but ahead of me for lay off purposes.

In KC I was at National. We had people transfer over to road positions from freight that went behind me on bidding seniority but ahead of me for lay off purposes.

correct

if I have 10 years company seniority and you have 8 years company seniority and we are both on the road board or city, you will be layed off before me regardless of if you went to the road before me or not.

Only your company seniority will save you in a layoff situation regardless of which board you are on...
In the perfect world I would like to see, it would be 1 board seniority and in the event of a layoff, everybody would know exactly where they stand.....
I don't think a 15 yr road driver should lose his job because there is not enough slots just because a 6 yr city driver happens to hold a job in the city and I feel the same way that a 15 yr city man should not lose his job if a 6 yr road driver has a job....

Thats what I am getting at Jeff. If you can take your co. seniority from the city to road or road to city when bidding into a different classification then why have seperate boards.

I agree with Jeff on 50%. I think it should be company seniority. However, you shouldn't be allowed to switch from city to road or road to city. I saw too many city guys salivating at the chance to go to the road board when the merger was announced thinking that they would be able to jump to a daytime road bid and make an additional $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000 a year when they hadn't paid their dues on the road board like the rest of us. Sorry, but if you didn't want to claw your way up the road board by working the dock and running shuttle at night (all the while giving up Friday nights and weekends) until you landed a 200 plus mile run, then you shouldn't expect to jump ahead of everyone else.

I agree with Jeff on 50%. I think it should be company seniority. However, you shouldn't be allowed to switch from city to road or road to city. I saw too many city guys salivating at the chance to go to the road board when the merger was announced thinking that they would be able to jump to a daytime road bid and make an additional $10,000, $20,000 or $30,000 a year when they hadn't paid their dues on the road board like the rest of us. Sorry, but if you didn't want to claw your way up the road board by working the dock and running shuttle at night (all the while giving up Friday nights and weekends) until you landed a 200 plus mile run, then you shouldn't expect to jump ahead of everyone else.

Agree 100%!! would not be fair at all and that's why Fedex would do it lol