XPO | 2012 Cab Cards and IFTA stickers

eurodaytona

TB Lurker
Credits
Around my barn we still have a lot of tractors that have the green IFTA 2011 stickers and Purple Cab cards that expired Dec 31,2011. They are tractors that belong to other terminals (we have a big maintenance shop) and they have our tractors which means there are a lot of tractors with expired cab cards. If you go through a DOT check and hand the officer a expired cab card from last year, won't you get a ticket? The domicile SIC of the unit has the cab cards but it does no good if the unit is 2 states away.

yep, you will. There is a 30 grace period for the IFTA stickers to be put on, not for cab cards. The permits are sent to the sic that the tractors are domiciled to. If the truck is somewhere else, at a minimum the cab card should be truck mailed to the SC where it is so it can legally move.

Every SIC should have plenty of IFTA stickers available. The cab cards are available online to print and can be pulled up any time.

Every SIC should have plenty of IFTA stickers available. The cab cards are available online to print and can be pulled up any time.

I figured the IFTA stickers had some sort of a grace period into the new year because i have seen a lot of other trucks on the road with the green 2011 stickers. Anyhow, there is a real lack of getting this type of stuff straight at my terminal. Its a part of the pre-trip inspection to check for this stuff, but most guys are more concerned with getting a linehaul unit and not getting stuck with a city unit. Thats good to know that you can pull a cab card up online and print it. When talking to management (about this type of stuff) at my place nobody knows anything and its like talking to a brick wall. Im sure if i go to work tomorrow and tell them that you can pull it up online and print it they will tell me that you can't.

IFTA/Motor Carrier Frequently Asked Questions

"I am a current IFTA licensee. I mailed my RENEWAL application but I have not yet received my license or decals for next year. Can I continue to operate without them?

The IFTA Agreement allows a two-month grace period from January 1st - February 28th for current IFTA licensees to operate under the prior year license if they have already submitted their application to their base jurisdiction.
Beginning March 1st all qualifying vehicles must carry the current year license and decals. The IFTA Agreement requires that vehicle operations during the grace period must be reported on the 1st quarter IFTA report."