Averitt | 2013 Volvo daycab ride review

Iceman

Company Man
Credits
Love it ! I swapped trucks with a friend of mine Friday night, my 2013 Volvo daycab 10 speed for his 2013 Volvo daycab 12 speed I-Shift Volvo automatic. First impression was it's amazing acceleration from a dead stop. It senses the need for torque and adjusts it's shifting accordingly by skipping gears, like 3-5-8-10-12 etc. Unlike the auto shifts I have driven in the past. I had 36k and a friend behind me had 33k with a new 10 speed, I pulled him by 7-10 trucks lengths by the top of the ramp. Climbing Jellico was a breeze and the truck appeared to pull very similar to my manual. I love the three stage engine brake, it held 36k lbs to my pre set speed with no braking coming off Jellico. The engine brake has a setting called "eco roll" to where I can set the cruise at say 60 mph and set the engine braking speed at 65mph, when rolling off a hill and the truck reaches 61 mph the tranny shifts to neutral and then the engine brake engages at 65mph and holds it . Anyone due a new truck should not fear the new Volvo. I ran through KY coming and going with 31k and 36k and never had to touch the brakes, no fear of over speed on steep hills or wearing your shifting arm out constantly downshifting. Looking forward to driving the new FLiners. Full report will follow.

Although I like my new Volvo I have no idea what Cummins did to their engine...it is a dog off the line...you put your foot into it and it doesn't want to move...no low end power at all...and as far as the auto-shift I don't care if I ever see a stick shift ever again in my life...

I have spoken with drivers that have the D13 12spd in their sleepers....they love it.....Hey 1tt1, do you have one of those ISX15 NON ST 400hp? THEY SUCK! Why they bought them again is anyones guess. They got smart again and are getting the ISX15 425 ST.... As for me I'll give up my 11 Cascadia ISX15 425ST non DEF,non grass burner exhaust,non spare tire carrier, 2x120 gal fuel tanks equiped, when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel!

I think I am going to drive a new FL auto daycab next week. I am looking forward to it. Saw several this week on DAL yard. I have 2 issues with auto-shift Volvos; the shifter box being attached to the right side of the seat (whoever came up with that design needs to walk east till his hat floats) and no Auxilary input on the radio (who listens to CD's anymore). Also the cheapo plastic fairings on the sides fly off. One of my buddies had the shop remove them from his tractor. They serve no purpose other than to rattle. However with that being said I have purposely stayed out of the new Volvos. I think that the new Freightliner Cascadia is going to serve my needs far better than the Volvo and I thought I would never ever say that. I am next in line for right of refusal on any new ones that come our way.

Let me add the incessant dinging if you fail to fasten seat belt. If I want to put on my seat belt, I know where it is and how to do it.

The shuttle drivers I've spoke with like the Cascadia daycabs,little short on power as compared to the New Volvo's,but overall they like them! It's like night and day as compared to the Columbia's. With the Cascadias transmission you can start out in 2nd gear. With the ST engine you can set the cruise and just hold on to the steering wheel. Hope they have'nt put that STUPID 63mph on the pedal and 65mph on the cruise program in it. Who ever DREAMED that up has NEVER driven a 65mph truck!

Love it ! I swapped trucks with a friend of mine Friday night, my 2013 Volvo daycab 10 speed for his 2013 Volvo daycab 12 speed I-Shift Volvo automatic. First impression was it's amazing acceleration from a dead stop. It senses the need for torque and adjusts it's shifting accordingly by skipping gears, like 3-5-8-10-12 etc. Unlike the auto shifts I have driven in the past. I had 36k and a friend behind me had 33k with a new 10 speed, I pulled him by 7-10 trucks lengths by the top of the ramp. Climbing Jellico was a breeze and the truck appeared to pull very similar to my manual. I love the three stage engine brake, it held 36k lbs to my pre set speed with no braking coming off Jellico. The engine brake has a setting called "eco roll" to where I can set the cruise at say 60 mph and set the engine braking speed at 65mph, when rolling off a hill and the truck reaches 61 mph the tranny shifts to neutral and then the engine brake engages at 65mph and holds it . Anyone due a new truck should not fear the new Volvo. I ran through KY coming and going with 31k and 36k and never had to touch the brakes, no fear of over speed on steep hills or wearing your shifting arm out constantly downshifting. Looking forward to driving the new FLiners. Full report will follow.

You make me sick , why dont you come over to big E and drive one of our maxi pad powered dog trucks that die as soon as you hit the throttle . I would give an organ for a volvo . That being said we seem to have some Cascadias coming so there is hope.

The Volvo's are nice except for a couple things.

I wonder, though, why in a daycab tandem, we can't have the big motors like the sleepers have. Do we not run over the same roads and pull the same loads as the sleepers?
What about the drivers seat. Where is the fancy drivers seat in the daycab?
Where are the Xenon headlights? :wtflol:

Inquiring minds would like to know. Oh I understand about the dual use of the daycabs in the city. Why is it that the single axles run in the daytime only and have assigned drivers, the sleepers the same thing but shuttle drivers have to share their tractors with pig-like characters. One spends a couple hours cleaning the inside of his tractor to come back the next day to have it trashed with chicken bones, empty cups, mud on the floor. Gives me GREAT motivation to clean it up. I am not cleaning it for the city driver NOR for Averitt. I am cleaning it because I have to spend 10-11 hours a day in it and I don't want to live in a garbage pit. :cuss:

CM, have your contacts in corp fix this travesty!!!:6792:

I'll get off my soapbox now.

I have spoken with drivers that have the D13 12spd in their sleepers....they love it.....Hey 1tt1, do you have one of those ISX15 NON ST 400hp? THEY SUCK! Why they bought them again is anyones guess. They got smart again and are getting the ISX15 425 ST.... As for me I'll give up my 11 Cascadia ISX15 425ST non DEF,non grass burner exhaust,non spare tire carrier, 2x120 gal fuel tanks equiped, when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel!

Yep it's the ISX15...

I too have now driven a 2013 daycab Volvo and my take is a bit different. This is a great flatland truck but for hills forget it. Nice ride, upgraded seat that is a MAJOR plus (3 back lumbars, side airup and side of leg airup), lowest trim level radio with no auxilary input, no engine brake, some lever over the wiper control that I haven't a clue what it is, has a manual mode but I never could figure how it worked no matter how I tried, lugs down to 45-50 mph when pulling a hill before downshift (nauseating), seat belt light stays on and boing (if I don't want to wear my seatbelt I don't need some authority telling me I have to...MY DAMN CHOICE). You are required to login as the driver or the qualcomm incessantly reminds you. To dim the qualcomm you have to do continuous punching of the light button.

All in all a nice ride but I FAR prefer my 2006. I can walk off from this automatic from a standstill and up and down any hills. Being one that couldn't care less about fuel mileage, I wish they ould go back to the trucks of old where an automatic would have been laughred off of the lot and you didn't have a computer controlling every aspect of the truck. Automatics are for rookies (but in this day and age that is all Averitt can find). I'll keep my standard TYVM!

All in all, the new Volvo daycab rates a D+ with me. Highly and totally unimpressed.

Lifer, I thought you knew trucks better than this. 1.)That thing above the wiper is the mack daddy three stage engine brake I described earlier. 2.)One push of the dimmer on the Qualcomm turns the whole screen off. 3.) Once you log on, it will not ask you to log on again. Hills in Texas? You must have driven a dud from the factory. If you ever get a chance to test drive a new FL'er, please make sure you understand the equipment before you give it a bad review, that's not fair to the future new truck owners that read this. I am now totally convinced that A. You would gripe in they gave you a new Corvette with a 500 mile schedule to deliver an envelope. or B. You get a kick out of disagreeing with everything I say. You never cease to amaze me with your "hate everything" attitude. Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday, surely you have something to be thankful for.

I have forgotten more about these trucks than you are likely to know. I know once you log in you are logged in. Same with the seat belt...let me decide to log in or wear my seat belt. But why the hell do I have to log in? So big brother can watch how I drive with that ridiculous "egg under the fuel pedal" concept. Ok so the lever is the 3 stage. Aren't you the smart one? And one touch of the dimmer does NOT turn the light off. You have to press it numerous times...pain in the a$$ and this is a FACT! There are plenty of hills in Texas.

Give me that new Corvette and I won't ***** about it at all. My reviews are my opinion based on my observation. Remember CM, I was doing this when you werte being bottle fed. I am glad that you are so enamored with AE and everything they do but most of us don't see it that way. If you read closely I named some positive things about the Volvo but there are as many if not more negatives. AE is not the land of lemonade and lollipops like you think it is.

I will get the chance soon to test the FL and I will give an honest assessment of what I think; not candy coated with company fawning bias and love that you have for them. I am beyond honest and I am very happy with most things, as long as I am not under the confines of AE and it's goofy childish bullcrap.

Happy Thanksgiving!

You whined about about the Freightliners and hoped we would never buy them again, you ended up with a hand me down then landed a Volvo. Then we bought Volvo's and you still gripe. And yes driver the one touch dimmer does black out the screen, remember you drove one for a night or two, I have 75,000 miles on mine now. You will log in because that is procedure, I don't want to be blamed for excessive idling nor does my city driver want to be blamed for my idling in the Chicago area. That's when logging in comes in handy. Your years of experience only seem to make you more bitter, and I have 21 years of driving trucks, not as long as you but nothing to sneeze at either. You are the only complainer I have heard about the new Volvo's, and the guys I speak of run the Carolina's, and you know the hills that I-40 and I-26 are known for. And yes you are correct, I am 100% red blooded Averitt, I love my job, my schedule, my co-workers and my service center. I have known alot of haters here at Averitt but you amaze me with your rebellion towards procedures. What I don't understand is I have spoken to couple of guys who have been around you and they say your a heck of guy and I've never heard them even hint that you are as miserable as you appear. But I agree with them, the couple of times we have spoken on the phone I have enjoyed our conversations and I think you are a heck of a guy, I just wonder what snaps when you hit this site. Maybe that's just the beauty of Truckingboards, vent, get it out of your system. I swear you must have driven a factory dud, it happens, I had one with a bad program from the factory. I do think you will like the new FLiner's, they do have alot more bells and whistles. I have enjoyed this strong difference in opinion and I'm hoping your Thanskgiving weekend is amazing.

I don't like the Columbias. You will agree that they are a joke and I feel sorry for ANYONE that has been stuck in one as an assigned unit that may have had to run it for 750k+ miles. The new ones are Cascadias and I don't have to tell you that. I know several sleeper drivers that would trade the Volvo to get their Cascadias back. I haven't driven one so I cannot make any kind of comments as I have not been in one. Once I do I will give my honest opinion of them like I did the Volvo. For now, though, I will GLADLY keep my 2006 as it runs great and is still tight. Idle time is of no concern whatsoever to me. I'll idle it when I want. I used to log in to the truck but discontinued it so all time is to unassigned and that is fine with me.

I speak my mind CM, you know that. You may not like it but hey, that's what TB is good for. I don't agree with the let's all hold hands around Gary and sing Kum Ba Ya to the Averitt gods. You have a right to your opinion but I also have a right to mine. Glad you're happy with your new tractor and with the company you work for. I on the other hand view it totally differently. When I am being taken advantage of, I can see it clearly as can a majority of our fellow drivers.

I understand Lifer, I'm just trying to stir things up a little, it's been a awful quiet on here. It's all in fun.