2013 Volvo daycab ride review

Discussion in 'Averitt Express' started by Iceman, Nov 17, 2012.

1. ltl lifer

ltl lifer Sr. Citizen & Gold Member

Yes it has been. Why is it that you and I are the ones to have to come in here and stir the :stirthepot:

Also, how much of your Blue Beacon costs to you write off on your 1040?

2. Iceman

Iceman Super Moderator Staff Member

Haven't had to use Blue Beacon yet, not opposed to it in the dead of Winter. BHM has an awesome wash set up, that helped but now I'm North bound !

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Active Member

Maybe I can join in this debate one of these days, as our little fleet consists primarily of high mileage '06 Frt Columbias. Our only two new trucks are single axle IHCs in the city.

4. ltl lifer

WFT has only 2 single axle Volvos. No tandems. Feel for the shuttle guys out of there.

5. jeepman

jeepman Truckload Mercenary

Was in Nashville this week...about 30 NEW Racers ...Volvo's with automatics...sitting there on the shop line.

6. Iceman

Knx is full of new day cabs, both brands.

7. Cutsawah

Cutsawah Member

We've only got three new tandems in NOR. 2 FL and a Volvo. Several single axle internationals. Sure wish they would send a few more down here.

8. Iceman

I love my 2013 Volvo, 10 speed manual. I am so impressed with it's pulling power, I run heavy,35k-45k, through Ky and rarely change gears.

9. coon-dawg

coon-dawg Freight Re-locator

I heard they are getting rid of all DuraStars and replacing them with new tandems.

10. Cutsawah

Cutsawah Member

Whoever took that bribe, I mean made the decision to buy those single axles should be fired.

11. Iceman

I drove one 175 miles to a mid point and I loved the Allsion automatic, wicked fast take off. But seemed a little light duty for all around city P&D. Maybe a dedicated downtown pup run, like Gatlinburg etc.Our tow guys that have them seem to like the handling and automatic.

12. ltl lifer

You heard correctly. The Dura Stars have NOT lived up to the specs. International has agreed to buy them all back and this will be completed no later than end of March. I am going to go out on a limb and suppose that part of the agreement to take them back is predicated on AE replacing them with International twin screw daycabs. Time will tell.

13. ltl lifer

Whoever convinced International to buy them back is a genius!

14. ltl lifer

Never have been inside of one other than to look from ground level. The Natusi leather seating appears exquisite! :6799:

15. jeepman

Was in CHA this week,many new Volvo's parked out front of the shop,same for NAS. Ran with a NEW RACER this week,I had 32k in the box...don't know what he had..The racer ran good on the flat,pulled the hills the same way.

16. ltl lifer

AE is going to turn over their daycab fleet. Until recently, the newest twin screw daycab was a 2006 model. They've tasted the higher fuel mileage and they now have an insatiable appetite!

17. jeepman

Saw these parked on the MFS yard this week,along with a few new Cascadia's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GS is sure dropping some serious money on Racers...along with the money spent on new Bedroom Trucks the last few years. Now we need some new trailers.....I'm tired fighting LTL for the use of OUR swing door trailers. The 63xxxx trailers are JUNK!

18. grocerythrower

grocerythrower Super Mod

I gotta ask you guys, whats with the front end on the new Volvos? I know they manufacture new ones with the small horizontal headlights but most of the new Volvos I have seen have the vertical lights, they are kinda ugly, I like the old style front end, I noticed Saia has new Volvos with the old front end look too, but Fedex gets their new Volvos with the new front end look.

Just curious here.

19. jeepman

I have no idea....I like this style....my 1st Avrt Bedroom truck...... a 2003...... had this style hood! ....As far as the hoods are concerned all the cabs are the same!

20. Iceman

I'm guessing cheaper, the style you speak of GT are equipped with Zenon HID headlights, more costly than halogens. My experience with our sleepers with the front end style you speak of, HID, have poor visibility, great bright lights but the low beams were pitiful.