ODFL | 2015 Tractors

I too prefer the Volvo w/Cummins over the Freightliner with Detroit. With the Volvo I can get over 7 mpg doing linehaul. If I take a gutless Freightliner I get 6-6.5 and it pulls the hills so slow! Guess I got spoiled with the KW's at FedEx!

I've been getting between 7.4-8.2 loaded this week with a Volvo.

I've been getting between 7.4-8.2 loaded this week with a Volvo.

You all must be running flat land to get that kind of mileage, I get anywhere from 4.9 to MAYBE 6.5. And the trucks are slow because they have Old Dominion on the door!:nutkick: The nuts are gone! The terminal average is somewhere around 5.0

You all must be running flat land to get that kind of mileage, I get anywhere from 4.9 to MAYBE 6.5. And the trucks are slow because they have Old Dominion on the door!:nutkick: The nuts are gone! The terminal average is somewhere around 5.0

Man that's low. We average over 7mpg and my buddy out of MRT who was pulling at 70k up to HAR was right at 7mpg when I talked to him today. Granted he was in a '15 Freightliner with 4,600 miles on it.

Well,I averaged 12.5 mpg today driving my new tractor.love it&love the radio's with the weatherband built in.We had bad storm's in the area&was able to keep up with them.O'h I forgot I was pulling one empty all day long today.:TR10driving03:..:LMAO:

Well,I averaged 12.5 mpg today driving my new tractor.love it&love the radio's with the weatherband built in.We had bad storm's in the area&was able to keep up with them.O'h I forgot I was pulling one empty all day long today.:TR10driving03:..:LMAO:

Did you trade out the 07 for a brand new ride??? I can't complain what a truck does, if it smells new on the inside I'll overlook all its weaknesses.

Man that's low. We average over 7mpg and my buddy out of MRT who was pulling at 70k up to HAR was right at 7mpg when I talked to him today. Granted he was in a '15 Freightliner with 4,600 miles on it.

That's what happens when you are between 100k and 112k pulling hills and a head wind.

Hell, I fell lucky to occasionally get 6.0mpg from mid March to mid May here in the land of the cross wind...

i'd take it, i miss my tandem

About the only time I ever run a tandem is down to Valdosta, because we load Florida trailers so heavy. They can run 22k on a single drive so we run them down to Valdosta on a meet n turn so we are legal going down and they are fine in a single screw in FL.

SickofIt
Sorry for the long delay--have not been on for a litle . To answer your question YES keeping me extremely busy. I avg 2500miles /week. Have only been shut down for 34 hr reset 2 time in two months. I am always running out of hours and also the other extra board driver hired at the same time as me. I have little to no complaints. Hope this helps.

3 new Freightliner's hook'd up&ready to leave GBO to Dallas monday morning early..Gbo has around 30-40 new one's&more coming in everyday.Had a driver ride with me up there today to bring 1 .There were another 20-30 that I seen outside the plant.Most of the new truck's will be leaving GBO to other term's.

Hey guys, former R&L team driver here, now retired. Back about 2004, we got 2 team tractors with auto transmissions. Due to the fact I had stated in a crowd of people, including a shop foreman and our safety supervisor that a real truck driver doesn't drive an automatic, the wife and I were assigned one of the test trucks. Well, 849,000 miles later they had to almost forcibly take it away from us to sell. It was so much of a saver of the driver. At first it was not so good, but as it was a test horse for the transmission manufacturer, every weekend when we came in, they would tinker with the shift points etc., attempting to see what worked and what did not. Of course this made it sorta funky for us as we had a different type driving tractor every week. You never knew exactly what it was going to shift like. Sometimes good, sometimes not so hot. After about 6 months of adjusting it to our needs, it was great. It all is about torque and shift points. It did a fantastic job for us, and it was hard to give it up. Just thought I would give you a little insight on automatics. I saw on their site R&L is buying a lot of line haul tractors with auto.

Don't see OD buying any Auto's anytime soon.
Hey guys, former R&L team driver here, now retired. Back about 2004, we got 2 team tractors with auto transmissions. Due to the fact I had stated in a crowd of people, including a shop foreman and our safety supervisor that a real truck driver doesn't drive an automatic, the wife and I were assigned one of the test trucks. Well, 849,000 miles later they had to almost forcibly take it away from us to sell. It was so much of a saver of the driver. At first it was not so good, but as it was a test horse for the transmission manufacturer, every weekend when we came in, they would tinker with the shift points etc., attempting to see what worked and what did not. Of course this made it sorta funky for us as we had a different type driving tractor every week. You never knew exactly what it was going to shift like. Sometimes good, sometimes not so hot. After about 6 months of adjusting it to our needs, it was great. It all is about torque and shift points. It did a fantastic job for us, and it was hard to give it up. Just thought I would give you a little insight on automatics. I saw on their site R&L is buying a lot of line haul tractors with auto.

Thanks for the insight. I've not heard a perspective like that on an auto. They may be the way of the future, who knows. I still think many prefer the control of shifting yourself, especially in adverse weather. That's where I think the true test is.

yeah, we had a lot of the same questions, but it was never a problem. You have the option of holding a specific gear. The autos are very different from a automobile type automatic. They can program in many different features, depending on your companies needs. You can manually shift hold gears, (when in snow, climbing a grade, etc. The driver has a lot of control. We found a added bonus we had not thought about is the shifting of the auto on snow , etc. is so smooth the tractor didn't want to spin or kick the rear end out. Well, i've said enough. I'll get off your page. You guys be safe out there.