ODFL | 2015 Tractors

yeah, we had a lot of the same questions, but it was never a problem. You have the option of holding a specific gear. The autos are very different from a automobile type automatic. They can program in many different features, depending on your companies needs. You can manually shift hold gears, (when in snow, climbing a grade, etc. The driver has a lot of control. We found a added bonus we had not thought about is the shifting of the auto on snow , etc. is so smooth the tractor didn't want to spin or kick the rear end out. Well, i've said enough. I'll get off your page. You guys be safe out there.

You are welcome on this page any time. Like I said, I appreciate the insight. All I ever hear is the bad. Interesting to learn about what may be the norm in the future.

We had Eaton Smart Shifts in a majority of the trucks at my former employer. They definitely made things easy for around the city/traffic jams but they seemed to be really sluggish during acceleration. The stuff we pulled rarely went over 10K lbs so weight wasn't the issue. When I was in one of the automatics I would always look for even more space than usual before pulling on to roads and when making turns at a stop light due to how long it'd take to get through the gears. I agree that with proper tuning for shift points they would work well and provide the fuel efficiency companies are going for these days. Being able to select manual mode helped us out a lot this past winter. As the guy previously said... it'll hold a gear when needed. Once manual mode is selected it's basically the same as a paddle shifter in a car. If anything the nearly instantaneous gear changes are more beneficial for guys who aren't always dead on with their up and downshifts in a 10 speed.

One major downside I saw though is that once you start having issues with one of them it can be difficult to track down the exact culprit. One of the trucks I was in would randomly start to flash 'F' for Fault and refuse to come out of the gear it's currently in. If you were lucky it would begin working on its own if you went to manual mode and messed with the paddle some til it caught up. Other times you'd have to pull it to the side of the road and try to reset the computer and hope it went back in to N. After sending the truck back to our leasing company several times with no resolve, I finally looked at it myself, downloaded an Eaton mechanics repair guide and found that one of the wires in the wire bundle coming through the firewall on the passenger side over to the shifter had became pinched and was causing miscommunication from the PCM at random times. From what I understand it isn't a major issue with the Smart Shifts but there are many posts online from people looking for help diagnosing electrical gremlins.

I picked up a load at the Freightliner plant in Cleveland NC this past Saturday...noticed at LEAST 50 Cascadia single axles ready for shipment to you!

Od is picking the tractor's up&taking all back to Greensboro.Then they are being sent out to other term's from there.We have about 50 or so mew one's siting on the yard now.
I picked up a load at the Freightliner plant in Cleveland NC this past Saturday...noticed at LEAST 50 Cascadia single axles ready for shipment to you!

I personally prefer the Freightliner with a Detroit over the Volvo with a Cummins.Sounds like some here prefer the Cummins but apparently they have a lot of problems even when new.Also we've gotten a couple of new Freightliners WITH RADIOS in them .:woot2:

My friend works for Auto Truck Transport and is delivering these trucks from NC to Bloomington California

10534428_10204346631009786_5027859251431803394_n.jpg

Seems like the lot at GBO magically fills back up with '15s needing to be prepped as soon as some are sent to other terminals :D. Looks like a fair amount of them are on the yard for use as well. I've been able to grab brand new ones with 82 miles on them the past two weeks for my schedule. I saw another brand new one sitting at the end of the line today. I don't listen to the radio often since it seems the antennae isn't that great but I really like that they're non-smoking.