FedEx Freight | 2016 Peterbilt 579 images

Can't wait to see one, I like the different colored bumpers.

roog
We had about 20 new Volvos sitting behind our shop...nothing has changed other than them going back to the push button shifter mounted to the side of the driver's seat due to the Eaton transmissions and the gray bumpers. Just look at an older one and picture it with gray bumpers.
Very disappointed in the Volvo.

Why did they change transmissions? The only auto transmission I really liked were the Volvo's with the shifter. The Eaton transmissions suck!!!!

Why did they change transmissions? The only auto transmission I really liked were the Volvo's with the shifter. The Eaton transmissions suck!!!!
Volvo only supplies the I-Shift with their own engines. The new Volvos, I assume, are equipped with Cummins engines.

And from what I heard from the shop at TOL before I left, don't expect to see any such trucks anytime soon. Apparently FedEx trying the "pure Volvo" Volvos was conditional to Volvo supplying FedEx with the computer software. Volvo renegged and FedEx sued them for it. That's why the Volvos completely disappeared for a couple of years.

Volvo only supplies the I-Shift with their own engines. The new Volvos, I assume, are equipped with Cummins engines.

And from what I heard from the shop at TOL before I left, don't expect to see any such trucks anytime soon. Apparently FedEx trying the "pure Volvo" Volvos was conditional to Volvo supplying FedEx with the computer software. Volvo renegged and FedEx sued them for it. That's why the Volvos completely disappeared for a couple of years.

3 new Volvos at my barn. Yes Cummins engines. I haven't driven one but have heard that they are geared different for fuel and appear weak.

3 new Volvos at my barn. Yes Cummins engines. I haven't driven one but have heard that they are geared different for fuel and appear weak.

The black bumpered KWs are geared like that too, 1200 rpm at 65. They downshift to 9th pretty quickly and stay in 9th until 65.

roog

A lot of manufactures make Volvo pay up front for testing and orders because they back out on orders all the time.

The black bumpered KWs are geared like that too, 1200 rpm at 65. They downshift to 9th pretty quickly and stay in 9th until 65.

roog
Do you or anyone else know if the new Volvo's, KW's, and Pete's are 12 speeds? May explain the 1200 rpm's @ 65 vs the 1420 rpm's @ 65 in the older, newer trucks.

Do you or anyone else know if the new Volvo's, KW's, and Pete's are 12 speeds? May explain the 1200 rpm's @ 65 vs the 1420 rpm's @ 65 in the older, newer trucks.

Don't know about the new Volvos but they should be the same as the KWs and Petes, I know those are 10 speeds.

roog

I hope I don't get a "new" truck for a long time... Those 10 speed auto's are overdrive, thats why the 1200 rpms... They don't pull for anything, and are SLOW !!! I get the same fuel mileage in my 2 yr old truck as a new kw,, and can run circles around it... Another "great idea" .....

I saw 3 new volvos the other day. Not much different than the R76xx series. They also take a different volvo key so that'll be another one to add to what we have.

I hope I don't get a "new" truck for a long time... Those 10 speed auto's are overdrive, thats why the 1200 rpms... They don't pull for anything, and are SLOW !!! I get the same fuel mileage in my 2 yr old truck as a new kw,, and can run circles around it... Another "great idea" .....

Sign of the times, we can thank the EPA and dozens of other alphabet soup government agencies to protect us from carbon dioxide.

roog

Don't know about the new Volvos but they should be the same as the KWs and Petes, I know those are 10 speeds.

roog
I heard we had some new Freightliners with the 12 speeds but haven't seen any. I used to drive a new Volvo a few years back, R125XX, and it had the 12 speed I Shift...those were nice but top speed was 64mph at best, sloooow!!

Back in the day the first auto transmission Kenworth T800 I drove was R6751, it had a Cummins and a 12 speed Meritor ZF auto. It had a great shifter on the side of the seat. Manual mode was fun and that truck hauled the mail.

roog

@ our terminal we got Volvo's :1904:push button auto's 10 speeds that couldn't get outa their own way...27000 lbs and climbs a grade at 50 mph..had one driver with 17000 in one pup and an empty and was at 37mph at the top of a hill.Struggles to pass a prime truck WTF were they thinking....:17113:.We are now the new JB Hunts of the highway it seems. Only thing I found that it has goin for it is it is a comfortable ride.:bgroovy:

I heard we had some new Freightliners with the 12 speeds but haven't seen any. I used to drive a new Volvo a few years back, R125XX, and it had the 12 speed I Shift...those were nice but top speed was 64mph at best, sloooow!!
I've seen & driven a few of them. They're 10spd auto shift. The selector is on the column. Tandems, single axles & straight truck FL's have them.

Volvos are 10 speeds 1200 @65 only difference from the R12 models is there isnt a shifter it has a push botton deal flush on right side of drivers seat. They ride excellent not a bad truck.

While pulling any weight up a hill the new Volvos will do 45/50 miles an hour max. They are soooo slow even in the city. If you going to pull out onto a main highway, you better have enough room for a 747 to land! R17xxx