ODFL | 2016 Trucking Roadeo

Going,just not competing this year.The books are very nice.They are spiral bound this year.I went to Staples and got mine spiral bound last year.Easier to read for sure.Hoping to be back going when NC practice starts in April.Can't compete this year because of me being out from my hip replacement. So we will be helping and supporting the NC TDC team this year and hopefully be back at the 2016 MAPTDA Fundrive in Virginia in Sept to compete .Hopefully be back to working middle of May.NC TDC is always Mother's Day Weekend

Going,just not competing this year.The books are very nice.They are spiral bound this year.I went to Staples and got mine spiral bound last year.Easier to read for sure.Hoping to be back going when NC practice starts in April.Can't compete this year because of me being out from my hip replacement. So we will be helping and supporting the NC TDC team this year and hopefully be back at the 2016 MAPTDA Fundrive in Virginia in Sept to compete .Hopefully be back to working middle of May.NC TDC is always Mother's Day Weekend
Sucks getting old Kenneth, hope you get back on your feet soon. Good luck to all my co-drivers competing. Go kick some butt:smilie93c peelout:

Books are already available. You have to call the Ata to order.Make sure you tell them you are with OD so they will give you the discount.I didn't order any this year.Will get my book thru Safety.Figure was no need to get one early this year.

Books are already available. You have to call the Ata to order.Make sure you tell them you are with OD so they will give you the discount.I didn't order any this year.Will get my book thru Safety.Figure was no need to get one early this year.
You can also buy cd's if you don't like to read.. but warning they are boring!!! Good luck to everyone who's competing this year

Alot of changes this here from OD Safety on TDC.They have put a limit of 8 per state this year .One per class and some other changes I have heard.Also,they are getting stricter on Driver Eligibility.They are wanting Qaulity not Quantity..

Last edited:
Alot of changes this here from OD Safety on TDC.They have put a limit of 8 per state this year .One per class and some other changes I have heard.Also,they are getting stricter on Driver Eligibility.They are wanting Qaulity not Quantity..
Maybe this will bring about a little more in-house competition, which could bring Drivers and families together.
The Competition should be the Best of the Best in all Companies. Yes, we all have days that we are not firing on all cylinders and a little off, but we still take pride.
If you don't make the Company Team, you could pay your own way. At least that is allowed out in Arizona (ref: Conway/XPO, the Competitors are paying their way not Company sponsored.)

Maybe this will bring about a little more in-house competition, which could bring Drivers and families together.
The Competition should be the Best of the Best in all Companies. Yes, we all have days that we are not firing on all cylinders and a little off, but we still take pride.
If you don't make the Company Team, you could pay your own way. At least that is allowed out in Arizona (ref: Conway/XPO, the Competitors are paying their way not Company sponsored.)
You could pay your own way if you want but if you win you won't be welcome at nationals. I believe you have to be sponsored to compete in that I've heard.
There are classes of trucks that OD doesn't even run but drivers sign up for them because they want to try something new. If only one driver can compete in that class but 4 drivers sign up for it who chooses who gets to go and who stays home?

Last edited:
This will pretty much put an end to it. The fun of the event is watching and cheering for your fellow OD drivers that your competing against. Bragging rights for the year at your barn is the best. I really don't pay much attention to the other company's drivers, unless I worked with them elsewhere.

This will pretty much put an end to it. The fun of the event is watching and cheering for your fellow OD drivers that your competing against. Bragging rights for the year at your barn is the best. I really don't pay much attention to the other company's drivers, unless I worked with them elsewhere.
I have enjoyed Alot of new friendships that I have made since doing the TDC..Just a big family all over the state

I have enjoyed Alot of new friendships that I have made since doing the TDC..Just a big family all over the state
I agree..It's fun and something everyone should try once. If these new qualifications are true, I feel most drivers aren't going to come see 8 drivers over the span of 8 hours. Don't think I would to tell you the truth. Hope I'm wrong.

I agree..It's fun and something everyone should try once. If these new qualifications are true, I feel most drivers aren't going to come see 8 drivers over the span of 8 hours. Don't think I would to tell you the truth. Hope I'm wrong.
NC is a two day event.We have had 14 guys for the past three year's. Tenn had to cut there's back to eight drivers last year.Tenn is the most expensive TDC for OD.They have Alot that sign up.They have there competition to narrow the field down to eight driver's.NC will have a the Samething this year.

Reactions: Ump
NC is a two day event.We have had 14 guys for the past three year's. Tenn had to cut there's back to eight drivers last year.Tenn is the most expensive TDC for OD.They have Alot that sign up.They have there competition to narrow the field down to eight driver's.NC will have a the Samething this year.
Wow..I think a lot of this is cost to the company. Like @inthegame posted earlier xpo/Conway isn't even paying for their drivers this year. I know it was a big deal for Conway, they always had lots of drivers. Them and FedEx made up 50% of the field out here. I think since I've done it I'll let some other guys give it a go. I did it more for fun then the event itself. I think other drivers should have the chance as well.

Wow..I think a lot of this is cost to the company. Like @inthegame posted earlier xpo/Conway isn't even paying for their drivers this year. I know it was a big deal for Conway, they always had lots of drivers. Them and FedEx made up 50% of the field out here. I think since I've done it I'll let some other guys give it a go. I did it more for fun then the event itself. I think other drivers should have the chance as well.
Alot don't pay.Company will pay entry fee.We are very lucky that OD pays everything and even pays us to attend.Alot of expense for sure.

Reactions: Ump
Alot don't pay.Company will pay entry fee.We are very lucky that OD pays everything and even pays us to attend.Alot of expense for sure.
Looking at the big picture though, as far as more drivers competing in company runoffs and to be able to participate at the state level, will surely make your safety department happier because of the strict guidelines it takes just to qualify, and in the long run makes you a smarter, and hopefully safer driver. The company will more than make back the costs of TDC participation if it possibly saves them the costs related to just 1 bad accident.

Looking at the big picture though, as far as more drivers competing in company runoffs and to be able to participate at the state level, will surely make your safety department happier because of the strict guidelines it takes just to qualify, and in the long run makes you a smarter, and hopefully safer driver. The company will more than make back the costs of TDC participation if it possibly saves them the costs related to just 1 bad accident.
I agree totally.

Up north in the Northeast, most states have always allowed only one company entrant per class unless you have a returning state champ then you can have a 2 drivers in the same class. Jersey is a 2 day event. Day one sign up rules and misc in the afternoon. At that point most companies take their drivers and families out for dinner. Day 2 is pretrip and rodeo. It end around 2 pm and then at 6pm there is a banquet to give out all the trophies(cash bar !) that goes to around 10 pm. Most of the companies put their people up for 2 nights at the hotel. Conway used to not pay for their people then they did, not sure about now. UPS package pays their drivers entrance fee and that's it.

Up north in the Northeast, most states have always allowed only one company entrant per class unless you have a returning state champ then you can have a 2 drivers in the same class. Jersey is a 2 day event. Day one sign up rules and misc in the afternoon. At that point most companies take their drivers and families out for dinner. Day 2 is pretrip and rodeo. It end around 2 pm and then at 6pm there is a banquet to give out all the trophies(cash bar !) that goes to around 10 pm. Most of the companies put their people up for 2 nights at the hotel. Conway used to not pay for their people then they did, not sure about now. UPS package pays their drivers entrance fee and that's it.
Wow...we're really behind the times out here in the Rocky mountain states. We get everything done in one day. Test in the morning, then they take the groups by class and split us up. Some rodeo while others pre trip. Most company's bbq at the rodeo. Then at the end of the day we all stand around in a hot parking lot while they read of the winners off each class.
So far our state is the more the merrier. FedEx and Conway always had 6 or 7 guys per group. We only had 12 guys in the whole rodeo last year.