ODFL | 2016 Trucking Roadeo

Wow...we're really behind the times out here in the Rocky mountain states. We get everything done in one day. Test in the morning, then they take the groups by class and split us up. Some rodeo while others pre trip. Most company's bbq at the rodeo. Then at the end of the day we all stand around in a hot parking lot while they read of the winners off each class.
So far our state is the more the merrier. FedEx and Conway always had 6 or 7 guys per group. We only had 12 guys in the whole rodeo last year.
NC averages around 130 driver or so every year.I have always been told by other's that NC has one of the best organized TDC 's in the nation.

NC averages around 130 driver or so every year.I have always been told by other's that NC has one of the best organized TDC 's in the nation.
Well we get about that number but ours is a train wreck. Must unorganized event ever. Lots of standing around waiting to do the next task. Sounds like we've got a lot to learn from you hillbillies! Lol

Wow...we're really behind the times out here in the Rocky mountain states. We get everything done in one day. Test in the morning, then they take the groups by class and split us up. Some rodeo while others pre trip. Most company's bbq at the rodeo. Then at the end of the day we all stand around in a hot parking lot while they read of the winners off each class.
So far our state is the more the merrier. FedEx and Conway always had 6 or 7 guys per group. We only had 12 guys in the whole rodeo last year.
Same down here in Arizona, everything completed in 1 day.
The main holdup is the Step Vans, they could give them the Skills/PRETRIP as the others are taking the Written test. That would free up some needed time.
Here they test everyone at the same time, walk the course, then you are free to go to do as you wish. You can watch the driving portion but not the pretrip. Other States you are put in a corral with you den mothers and not able to see what is going on (which I feel is very fair). Like Ump said, who wants to be around a hot parking lot after completion. 1 day is just too much.

Reactions: Ump
Same down here in Arizona, everything completed in 1 day.
The main holdup is the Step Vans, they could give them the Skills/PRETRIP as the others are taking the Written test. That would free up some needed time.
Here they test everyone at the same time, walk the course, then you are free to go to do as you wish. You can watch the driving portion but not the pretrip. Other States you are put in a corral with you den mothers and not able to see what is going on (which I feel is very fair). Like Ump said, who wants to be around a hot parking lot after completion. 1 day is just too much.
That's the way NC run's there's.You are called by your class and all are put in holding room's and they come get you when it's your turn.Here they are really big on not letting you drive your company's equipment.

Reactions: Ump
That's the way NC run's there's.You are called by your class and all are put in holding room's and they come get you when it's your turn.Here they are really big on not letting you drive your company's equipment.
Our States Roadeo is held outside, there is no inside area/room. Waiting for the day it rains even for taking the written test.....like I mentioned before you can watch the skills but not the inspection (that does not say Johnny Driver does not go back and mention what he found during inspection....lol).

Wyoming has the easiest tdc. Everyone got a trophy last year because no one signed up for it. OD drivers even competed in step van class lol

Last edited:
Our States Roadeo is held outside, there is no inside area/room. Waiting for the day it rains even for taking the written test.....like I mentioned before you can watch the skills but not the inspection (that does not say Johnny Driver does not go back and mention what he found during inspection....lol).
They will switch up the defects to keep this from happening has much here.We have our at the Johnston Community College at the Transportation Complex.Very nice location and the school has been holding it there for years.Company Tents are put up under the trees around the skills course

Some guys have been told OD will only take 1 driver per class per state. Equils 8 drivers. I got an email from my safety director stating that it is 8 drivers per terminal. Central States

Competed 2 years ago.Got no book but took no test or pretrip.The 3 axle pup division has a big field including a lot of FedEx and Con-Way.So this year I'm trying 4 axle.I'm usually in a 40 liftgate every day.

Well,We had 11 drivers show up for the NC TDC Meeting. Like I posted before Alot of changes this year.OD allowing only 8 drivers per State.So NC will be taking 6 veteran TDC Drivers and 2 Rookies.We will have a run off next Sat with 9 veteran drivers to fill 6 spots. Also,Safety has took a 0 tolerance on non preventables that apply to competing now.

Well,We had 11 drivers show up for the NC TDC Meeting. Like I posted before Alot of changes this year.OD allowing only 8 drivers per State.So NC will be taking 6 veteran TDC Drivers and 2 Rookies.We will have a run off next Sat with 9 veteran drivers to fill 6 spots. Also,Safety has took a 0 tolerance on non preventables that apply to competing now.
Good luck to them all.. We're still waiting for it to stop snowing.. Blizzard on Tuesday..70° today. I think Colorado is bipolar.

Don't think Im going to do it either. Hate the thought of giving up my weekends for no money.

BTW why doesn't OD care if we're not on duty to practice?

Don't think Im going to do it either. Hate the thought of giving up my weekends for no money.

BTW why doesn't OD care if we're not on duty to practice?
That's a good question. With the blu asking why the truck is in motion and all.

We got paid 9 hours last year. Just win it Billy, that'll put a smile on your face. $1000 is worth the time invested.

I was surprised to hear that non-preventables were a DQ for drivers.