ODFL | 2016 Trucks

I heard there were a few new Kenworths in Des Moines. Don't know the model but if the rumor is true hope they are the T680's. Never much liked the T660's at FedEx. I know last year we received new trucks in March and could really use a few more in MSP.

Got to grab a 2016 Cascadia last night. 10 speed. It was a Detroit Diesel and I found that it was notably sluggish in pulling up hills. I wasn't that heavy, maybe 12000 on my lead, around 7 on my tail, if I recall. The fuel filter was 2/3 full, and another driver had mentioned to me that he notices the tractors run sluggish with a more full fuel filter. On my second load, I had 20k on my lead, can't recall the tail weight, but it was very, very sluggish pulling up hills. I got passed by every fellow OD rig that night, about 4 total.

Any rate, it only had 7k miles on it, and still had that new smell to it. Beautiful tractor, just didn't seem to have much umph behind it.

Grabbed another 2016 last night. 4k miles. Another Detroit. This one has better pull, and a fuel filter that wasn't as full - coincidence? Saw two more 2016s in the yard besides the one I had last night and the other night. Perhaps we currently have 1/2 dozen or so? Curious if we're gonna see new Volvos soon.

A buddy of mine who drives for big E sent ms a pic this morning from the hotel parking lot that looked like WPB and it was one of our k-dubs. The more I look at them the more I like them. Makes me wish they'd test a few sleepers...

Grabbed another 2016 last night. 4k miles. Another Detroit. This one has better pull, and a fuel filter that wasn't as full - coincidence? Saw two more 2016s in the yard besides the one I had last night and the other night. Perhaps we currently have 1/2 dozen or so? Curious if we're gonna see new Volvos soon.
They are buying Volvo's.But,was told that it the normal amount for them.100 or so&they alway's go to MRT.

A few weeks ago, on 62/63 between MFS and SPM, some hillbilly going the opposite direction lost a huge desk that flew up in the air and crashed into the front of my '12 Cascadia. Took out the bumper, grill, and headlight assembly. I was able to come to a complete stop before it hit, but since it was two lane with no shoulder, I could only watch as it sailed into my ride.

Memphis kept it and put me in a 2015. Then the snow and ice started across the south. It was almost 2 weeks before I got a load back to MFS to get her. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to the day I lose my 2012.

The '15 rode horrible, being shorter. It seemed to wander all over the road, where my '12 drives straight and solid. It was totally gutless. I don't think it would pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt. My '12 with a red motor pulls far better and way better in the hills. The Jake brake was about as effective on high as mine is on low. Pretty much worthless if you really need it. The cruise would slowly back off. Many times after a few minutes, I'd be doing 58 or 59. I finally gave up on the cruise and just drove on the throttle all week.

I don't experience the lag with my Jake. It is instant. I know other drivers say mine is an exception. On the plus side, the mirrors on the '15 didn't get screwed up when I used the windshield washer. My '12's washers renders my mirrors temporarily useless.

Here's the one no one believes me on....I HATED having the stereo. It's way too bright at night with no way to dim it that I found. I don't use a stereo anyhow. I use a Bluetooth speaker that I put on the eyebrow cubby hole above my head and listen to Pandora from my phone some, but mostly listen to podcasts I download at the motels at night. I like that MUCH better than anything I've ever found on the radio dial. I ended up covering the stereo up so itndodnt bother my light sensitive eyes.

I really like my 2012, but since the one I own is a '96, it seems pretty nice and new to me. Overall, the older truck drove and pulled far better than the new one

A few weeks ago, on 62/63 between MFS and SPM, some hillbilly going the opposite direction lost a huge desk that flew up in the air and crashed into the front of my '12 Cascadia. Took out the bumper, grill, and headlight assembly. I was able to come to a complete stop before it hit, but since it was two lane with no shoulder, I could only watch as it sailed into my ride.

Memphis kept it and put me in a 2015. Then the snow and ice started across the south. It was almost 2 weeks before I got a load back to MFS to get her. I have to say that I'm not looking forward to the day I lose my 2012.

The '15 rode horrible, being shorter. It seemed to wander all over the road, where my '12 drives straight and solid. It was totally gutless. I don't think it would pull a greasy string out of a cat's butt. My '12 with a red motor pulls far better and way better in the hills. The Jake brake was about as effective on high as mine is on low. Pretty much worthless if you really need it. The cruise would slowly back off. Many times after a few minutes, I'd be doing 58 or 59. I finally gave up on the cruise and just drove on the throttle all week.

I don't experience the lag with my Jake. It is instant. I know other drivers say mine is an exception. On the plus side, the mirrors on the '15 didn't get screwed up when I used the windshield washer. My '12's washers renders my mirrors temporarily useless.

Here's the one no one believes me on....I HATED having the stereo. It's way too bright at night with no way to dim it that I found. I don't use a stereo anyhow. I use a Bluetooth speaker that I put on the eyebrow cubby hole above my head and listen to Pandora from my phone some, but mostly listen to podcasts I download at the motels at night. I like that MUCH better than anything I've ever found on the radio dial. I ended up covering the stereo up so itndodnt bother my light sensitive eyes.

I really like my 2012, but since the one I own is a '96, it seems pretty nice and new to me. Overall, the older truck drove and pulled far better than the new one
Amen,thought it was just me.I have complain'd past couple year's.The thing just will not go straight.You have to stay up on the steering wheel for sure.

We had about a dozen new team tractors in ATL last weekend... Big boy trucks!! Twin screws complete with inter-axle diff, sliding 5th wheel and a power inverter provided! I'm looking forward to our '11 trading.

We had about a dozen new team tractors in ATL last weekend... Big boy trucks!! Twin screws complete with inter-axle diff, sliding 5th wheel and a power inverter provided! I'm looking forward to our '11 trading.

What the heck u kids need real trucks for?? Sure those weren't for some dedicated deal?

What the heck u kids need real trucks for?? Sure those weren't for some dedicated deal?

I would imagine it is to alleviate the reworking of heavy boxes. With the sleeper cab we can't carry as much weight on a single drive. It would be helpful to have that second axle to be able to scale out a 23-24k lead box. We get out in some pretty nasty stuff out west during the winter too, you know... We don't just stay on the flatland...