ABF | 2018 Contract

Abfhammer

TB Lurker
Credits
1. Economy is good
2. Driver shortage at an all
time high
3. Corporate tax cut of 15%
4. ABF , or should I say ArcBest is posting record profits and spending money like a drunken sailor
5. We are coming off of a contract loaded with concessions by us.

If we can’t negotiate a decent contract this year the handwriting is on the wall of what they think of us. Remember that the next time they ask you to carry a 400 lb. treadmill into somebody’s basement or sit by the phone because We may need you to come in at midnight on Sunday to strip trailers.

1. Economy is good
time high
4. ABF , or should I say ArcBest is posting record profits and spending money like a drunken sailor

If we can’t negotiate a decent contract this year the handwriting is on the wall of what they think of us. Remember that the next time they ask you to carry a 400 lb. treadmill into somebody’s basement or sit by the phone because We may need you to come in at midnight on Sunday to strip trailers.

Man.........Why don’t we have a “ like” option in Capital Letters?

10-4 Brother! .........In a nutshell..........

1. Economy is good
time high

what, Turncoat hasn't liked this post yet? Might cut into his pallet moving overtime in Mayberry...take anything the company wants..right, Turncoat?

what, Turncoat hasn't liked this post yet? Might cut into his pallet moving overtime in Mayberry...take anything the company wants..right, Turncoat?
You guys take my sarcasm to heart.....my "point" ..is...our Union is shoulder deep in the Companies pockets and "they" are looking out for their interests first. With that said, we still have lot more going for us as a "labor force" than the non-union driver. I am hopeful that ArcBest will negotiate a better contract, but they will never be able to satisfy everyone and our Union only has so much bargaining power. I think they are making these same arguments in the negotiations. If a reasonable agreement is reached the Union is going to ask for ratification....and probably more than once....or twice....then it mysteriously passes

1. Economy is good
time high

Agree 100% ,but problem is to many yes sheep and both ABF & YRC knows they won't stand up & vote NO !! too jellyfish union voter's !

27545314_10211058593961029_1254222238143811626_n.jpg

One game of many we must watch for is when they return our vacation week we lost, (I believe they will) they are most likely going to say well... you earned this yrs vacation under the old contract so this yr it will still be 1 wk less. We can't let that happen. What we want is restoration of the vacation language to before the last contract,what we had for maybe 15 years. The hours and physicality of our job demands it. Personally I would like the paid week back and the 5 unpaid days both,something that has been on our want list for the last 3 contracts. Most people I know don't believe me when I tell them our vacation earned. First thing they say is "Why do you have a Union?" We are behind everyone in not just the transportation industry but every business I can think of for time off. My son works for a private utilities company and at 10 yrs got his 5th week. When he talks about his job he's usually smiling. Not alot of smiles at ABF and don't mistake smiling for wincing! I expect this contract to have alot of "Gray" areas. That's the unions MO and how you get contracts passed. Make the contract it look good till you have to put your reading glasses on.

You guys take my sarcasm to heart.....my "point" ..is...our Union is shoulder deep in the Companies pockets and "they" are looking out for their interests first. With that said, we still have lot more going for us as a "labor force" than the non-union driver. I am hopeful that ArcBest will negotiate a better contract, but they will never be able to satisfy everyone and our Union only has so much bargaining power. I think they are making these same arguments in the negotiations. If a reasonable agreement is reached the Union is going to ask for ratification....and probably more than once....or twice....then it mysteriously passes
OK, Turncoat, I am sick you...you have shown your true colors by voting for the contract and then leaving your YRC brothers with the lesser of the 2 evils. You have shown your loyalty to Judy and company and will do anything to keep your $1600/week and benefits..I realize that at your 3-5 employee barn, you guys can take advantage of not having direct supervision (milking the clock, moving pallets,sweeping, emptying trash) that you could do on a normal shift with a supervisor..

What I think you should hope for is that Judy won't close your barn (even if the contract is settled) and run it 2-3 days per week from the next termnal and hand off some of the outlying points via ArcBest "marketing partners." Let OD and Estes do the UPaks and cut out the cubes in Mayberry.

Panther (as they are now) will handle any time critical freight until it is switched over to XPO or FedEx when the rates are compared.

So, I really don't value any opinion of yours and won't respond to you anymore...Your brothers over at the other board really want you over there. And if I ever travel through Montgomery, AL, I will stop by to see you...but will only such a small unsupervised barn, I am sure you won't be there...so, until contract time, if they don't pay the rate and lock the gate, you will be SOL..good day

so, if you don't mind, Otis and I are headed to a St Paddy's Day Party in Mount Pilot

Last edited:
OK, Turncoat, I am sick you...you have shown your true colors by voting for the contract and then leaving your YRC brothers with the lesser of the 2 evils. You have shown your loyalty to Judy and company and will do anything to keep your $1600/week and benefits..I realize that at your 3-5 employee barn, you guys can take advantage of not having direct supervision (milking the clock, moving pallets,sweeping, emptying trash) that you could do on a normal shift with a supervisor..

What I think you should hope for is that Judy won't close your barn (even if the contract is settled) and run it 2-3 days per week from the next termnal and hand off some of the outlying points via ArcBest "marketing partners." Let OD and Estes do the UPaks and cut out the cubes in Mayberry.

Panther (as they are now) will handle any time critical freight until it is switched over to XPO or FedEx when the rates are compared.

So, I really don't value any opinion of yours and won't respond to you anymore...Your brothers over at the other board really want you over there. And if I ever travel through Montgomery, AL, I will stop by to see you...but will only such a small unsupervised barn, I am sure you won't be there...so, until contract time, if they don't pay the rate and lock the gate, you will be SOL..good day

so, if you don't mind, Otis and I are headed to a St Paddy's Day Party in Mount Pilot
Like, like, like, like....1000 times over.

Well...I've watched them close before and life went on..., however, our terminal operates profitably cause we have a crew here that actually "works" and the supervision we have doesn't have to hold the children's hands.
They make a plan and the "men" git r done. If there is an issue with the plan and the TM is not on site, we call the ops. supervisor and make the adjustments. Since it's making money, for the first time in about 10 yrs. and improved year over year for the last 3 I'm thinking it's probably OK, but if I have to drive up to Mount Pilot for the last 5 yrs. of my career I'll just have to do it or find something else local. PM me when you come down, I'll be sure to fire up the grill, and bring them other boys with ya, but, no cussing and misbehaving around the wife and grandkids

Well...I've watched them close before and life went on..., however, our terminal operates profitably cause we have a crew here that actually "works" and the supervision we have doesn't have to hold the children's hands.
They make a plan and the "men" git r done. If there is an issue with the plan and the TM is not on site, we call the ops. supervisor and make the adjustments. Since it's making money, for the first time in about 10 yrs. and improved year over year for the last 3 I'm thinking it's probably OK, but if I have to drive up to Mount Pilot for the last 5 yrs. of my career I'll just have to do it or find something else local. PM me when you come down, I'll be sure to fire up the grill, and bring them other boys with ya, but, no cussing and misbehaving around the wife and grandkids
Please do not respond to my posts..I didn't even read this one..only saw it...as Dracula says on one of his posts...paraphrased. ".everybody hears you but nobody is listening..."

You miss his point. The ballot cast is irrelevant. Hoffa and company decide your contract; not the members
Poppa Hoffa knows what's best for us....and THEM, however, when it's settled, we still have job protections and grievance machinery in place that's still enforced so I get a voice at the local level...my dues are not paid in vain.

You miss his point. The ballot cast is irrelevant. Hoffa and company decide your contract; not the members
Not true. The National contract gets voted down and it doesn’t happen. Car haul proved that. Car haul got handed a concession filled contract and got voted down at nearly 100%. It took a year but got a good contract. Quit making excuses. It’s the members fault for taking anything but what they want period!!!

Poppa Hoffa knows what's best for us....and THEM, however, when it's settled, we still have job protections and grievance machinery in place that's still enforced so I get a voice at the local level...my dues are not paid in vain.
Again with your whining. Enough

Not true. The National contract gets voted down and it doesn’t happen. Car haul proved that. Car haul got handed a concession filled contract and got voted down at nearly 100%. It took a year but got a good contract. Quit making excuses. It’s the members fault for taking anything but what they want period!!!
Awesome, we'll see what happens soon enough! Apples to oranges comparison, but maybe it will happen that way.

so what it looks like to me is a contract extension ... so the IBT and ABF has more time to negotiate?

Well.........they still got two weeks to go. So far, they’re doing better than Fric ‘n’ Frac (Tyson and Gordon)..........

Didn’t settle that contract until........November?

I think the company feels some real heat this time around. We’re truck drivers.........you can only lie to us once...........

Awesome, we'll see what happens soon enough! Apples to oranges comparison, but maybe it will happen that way.
It’s not apples to oranges. Carhaul has something like 5000 members. They claimed it was 8000. ABF has 7500 to 8000, and this is coming from the company and the teamsters so quit with your misleading crap.