SAIA | 2021 International Jost 5th Wheel

Now if you would have said that you had to flip a jiff(or how ever the term goes) I would have been on board from what I’ve learned but still not enough to justify imo. I always had insulated rubber gloves.

Insulated rubber gloves? I thought you're a truck driver, not an electrician.

Haaaa! Having many years under my belt in those snowy states, you become more than just a truck driver. You have to be a meteorologist, scientist, chemist and yes, an electrician.

I know more about this than I care to admit...

Getting back to the original thread of this - I have found that if you pull your light cord/lines before lowering the landing gear or just wait a minute or two I've had much better luck getting the damn thing to work

I know more about this than I care to admit...

Getting back to the original thread of this - I have found that if you pull your light cord/lines before lowering the landing gear or just wait a minute or two I've had much better luck getting the damn thing to work

Yes! Don't hang the air lines up either. Just pull them off and put on the deck or it will think you still have the air lines hooked and it won't work.

Sorry for the intrusion guys. Could this particular 5th wheel had anything to do with a SAIA driver dropping his set while traveling w-bnd on I-70 near Quinter KS. ? This happened Thursday. I'm assuming he was a Wakeeney meet out of Denver.

Sorry for the intrusion guys. Could this particular 5th wheel had anything to do with a SAIA driver dropping his set while traveling w-bnd on I-70 near Quinter KS. ? This happened Thursday. I'm assuming he was a Wakeeney meet out of Denver.
Well gawlyeee !!! Hate when that happens. Did it do a NASCAR tumble? Everyone ok? Bet the now former driver dropped a second load in his britches !

Well gawlyeee !!! Hate when that happens. Did it do a NASCAR tumble? Everyone ok? Bet the now former driver dropped a second load in his britches !

Turns out it was a bolt in the 5th wheel. From what I understand, the 5th must be inspected every 15,000 miles for rust and corrosion. Apparently that wasn't taken care of and the driver was cleared of any error on his part. He was back to work Friday. When the trailers came off of the 5th wheel, the trailers remained upright. so, there wasn't much damaged except to the landing gear.

Turns out it was a bolt in the 5th wheel. From what I understand, the 5th must be inspected every 15,000 miles for rust and corrosion. Apparently that wasn't taken care of and the driver was cleared of any error on his part. He was back to work Friday. When the trailers came off of the 5th wheel, the trailers remained upright. so, there wasn't much damaged except to the landing gear.
That is great to hear ! So glad to hear it wasn't on him. It couldn't have been timed any better either. He was 1/4 mile from heading into a construction zone. Had the trailers come off then it could've been an epic disaster. Thanks for the update.

If I was still working, I wouldn't trust it. You've got to get out and lower the legs anyway and you're right there. Why get in the habit of unlocking the fifth wheel, from the cab? You get in a hurry, distracted, whatever,and drop that trailer. You know what will happen. Is it worth the risk?
I believe it reduces the rick of shoulder injuries. I'm willing to bet the driver who had rotator surgery wish they had it.

I believe it reduces the rick of shoulder injuries. I'm willing to bet the driver who had rotator surgery wish they had it.
Well than he should retire than, I worked the city with torn shoulders, knees and everything else attached to my body to keep working with a WC case. Pull with the other arm for God’s sake!

Well than he should retire than, I worked the city with torn shoulders, knees and everything else attached to my body to keep working with a WC case. Pull with the other arm for God’s sake!

Wow, what a hero. Maybe you should use a crank to start your engine too because the modern electrical engine starter motor is just for sissies.

Wow, what a hero. Maybe you should use a crank to start your engine too because the modern electrical engine starter motor is just for sissies.
What a stretch, no hero just not a candy ass winey truck driver, lets leave that to the millennials, judge your own character.

Higher 5th wheel would be a better solution. Do the 21 Freightliners even drop when you dump the bags? Smh
Some of the 20s and all of the 21s have the higher fifth wheels, still not as high as the Volvos but pretty close... Four sets a night and I rarely have to get adjust the height of the trailer to hook it in a 21

Some of the 20s and all of the 21s have the higher fifth wheels, still not as high as the Volvos but pretty close... Four sets a night and I rarely have to get adjust the height of the trailer to hook it in a 21
Meet a 20 IH, not even close. Most guys at my home drive ‘Shakers & I rarely pick up a trailer. Can post trip all equip dumping the bags & still pop out from under it (with legs on ground). As bad as my old ‘12 Int.