21 year old newbie

Motorholmes

Road Ranger
Credits
My son just turned 21,so his options are few. He's thinking about CR England for the free school, then in a year or 2 we'll go owner operator together maybe. I wondered if he should get his cdl at a tech school and go to Schneider or? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

If I was 21 again, I would try working part time at UPS, until I could be hired full time.

My son just turned 21,so his options are few. He's thinking about CR England for the free school, then in a year or 2 we'll go owner operator together maybe. I wondered if he should get his cdl at a tech school and go to Schneider or? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

I would stay away from ANY trucking school based in any trucking company. Go ahead and enroll in a driving school from a technical institute. Slower but the aftermath will be more enjoyable. Use this site to research some horror stories of trucking company sponsored driving schools. Try real hard to get your son to stay in school and chose another profession. Good luck.

Free school up front costs in the end. I'd recommend looking into a local tech school, many of them have CDL courses and are cheaper than the driver mills like All State, Smith and Solomon et al.
I'd recommend a career in something like CNC machining, the pay and work opportunities are good. It takes a while to learn all that's involved but driving is not the career it used to be and is still getting worse.

CRST seems to have a decent program.
I tried to convince him to go to the Tech school and get a CDL, but he says he'll just end up at the same companies anyhow due to being 21 and no experience. He might be right...

CRST seems to have a decent program.
I tried to convince him to go to the Tech school and get a CDL, but he says he'll just end up at the same companies anyhow due to being 21 and no experience. He might be right...
yes, he WILL END UP at "some company", however, he WILL HAVE his CDL on his own, and owe a bank, rather then be an indentured slave/servant to "some company".

ABF Freight has a program of their own and they're not as bad to be indentured to as the likes of CRST an C.R. England if they accept his application.

GREETINGS Motorholmes and WELCOME to TB!!

Under the Any feedback is appreciated.Thanks

PLEASE AVOID c.r.england. Their "Lease, Team, Train, Drive" is a TRAP and there are better Reefer outfits than that notoriously harmful company AND Reefer isn't a good way to start a driving job/portfolio.

Check RIPOFF REPORT regarding many negatives about c.r.england as well Werner, Schneider, PAM, Barr-Nunn, Covenant, Celadon, U. S. Xpress, USA trucking company.

--Flatbed is a good way to start a driving job/portfolio.--Check: TMC, Melton.
- - - -
Were I 21 again (and I wasn't a drunkard), it might have been good had I followed training in a ology field; Geology, Anthropology, Pharmacology, Meteorology, etc.
- - - -
Trucking isn't was it was and shall never again be.
- - - -
Correct as pro1 stated, AVOID company "paid training" as your son could very well be "training" for up to 3 months (with random Home Time) as with Southern Refrigerated Transportation AND having signed a CONTRACT, will need stay till "loan" paid off which could be up to 18 months.
- - - -
Just remember: "With 3 months or LESS driving experience, you too can become a Trainer"!
- - - -
CHEERS!!

There is as well a new idea (of incompetence) at the f.m.c.s.a. regarding allowing 18 - 20 year old (late teenagers) to drive INTERSTATE (all states) instead of INTRASTATE (one state), therefore being 21 - 23 would help, say, your son, whereas now, it isn't legal for him to drive solo until or after age 23, BUT he would be able to drive seemingly solo with the unskilled trainer (who might have 3+ months driving experience), to remain out of view as in the sleeper. Not a good scenario for SAFETY (which is little concern at f.m.c.s.a.) of other motorists yet it is happening and most likely too at c.r.s.t., with other companies following suit.

There is NO "free driver training".
There is no such operation in the Universe as "something for nothing".

We hope you the best in your quest.