ABF | $22.64 an hour, $.56875 a mile and a first class health plan with zero monthly cost!

This isn't the first teamster contract where subcontracting was allowed but this is the first one I'm aware of where there was ZERO protection for teamster jobs. PAY guarantee that we get paid if we're not working and panther pulls all your freight.

Link to a web site where the more per mile than we do???

UPS.com

This isn't the first teamster contract where subcontracting was allowed but this is the first one I'm aware of where there was ZERO protection for teamster jobs. PAY guarantee that we get paid if we're not working and panther pulls all your freight.

UPS.com

You're correct about wage and mileage pay at UPS being higher than ours. Does UPS subcontract non-union labor? Why yes they do. Do they still contribute to the teamster pension plan? No they don't and therefore are not subject to a pension withdraw liability. You see, they clearly understood the major fault of our multi employer pension. Specifically if you triumph in the marketplace by being more efficient than your union competition, you ultimately get punished by having the pension obligations of your now out of business competition thrown on your balance sheet. ABF has never had the kind of cash to pay off their withdraw liability. Ups made over 4 BILLION in PROFIT last year while Abc, parent company barely exceeded 2 Billion in total revenue, not profit.
A really good question is who pays more into the pension per employee,ABF OR UPS?

UPS.com
Secondly, your point about enforcement mechanisms for the 6% of subcontracted freight may well be true but the same can be said about the previous NMFA with regards to the rail percentage. Formally I was an alternate steward who put a major report together for the purposes of a greviance against yellow, my former employer. Turns out they were railing over 60% of the total road miles of my terminal. Per the NMFA, only the national freight director could file such a grievance and he wasn't about too. So there was no real protection on our previous contract either.

Secondly, your point about enforcement mechanisms for the 6% of subcontracted freight may well be true but the same can be said about the previous NMFA with regards to the rail percentage. Formally I was an alternate steward who put a major report together for the purposes of a greviance against yellow, my former employer. Turns out they were railing over 60% of the total road miles of my terminal. Per the NMFA, only the national freight director could file such a grievance and he wasn't about too. So there was no real protection on our previous contract either.

I'm 43 i will never see a dime out of the pension I am vested but see the numbers I can do the math . It's broke no one left paying in its just throwing good money after bad now.

I was an alternate Stewart also , thankless job.

I was unemployed by the yellow buyout of USF Dugan, great job I had an assigned 68mph truck I had a dayside bid run with weekends off.
Yea I miss it

I know what YRCs plan is close the doors on me again.

I agree totally with your point about the rail it's bad enough and the 6+% of the freight plus what well lose in bids under the proposed 60% of the lane vs 75% we now have 15% loss of our lanes

I can't imagine there's gonna be any work for me and no recourse an nobody gives an F.

I cannot vote yes to eliminate my job

It's loose loose for the road

I'm 43 i will never see a dime out of the pension I am vested but see the numbers I can do the math . It's broke no one left paying in its just throwing good money after bad now.

You and I are the exact same age and central states says I will get a retirement benefit of over 1400 at age 65. It means nothing considering the funding deficiencies it currently faces. If I was offered .35 cents on the dollar I'd take it and smile.

Keep in mind Abf contributes about $120 million a year into teamster pensions, yet only half that goes to pay the pensions of abf employees. The other half of roughly 60 million goes for non abf employee pensions. That is almost $8000 per abf employee to pay the pensions of non-abf employees.

If we could take that $8000 off the table and not a financial obligation of abf, I wouldn't give Abf one penny in a concession.

There is the bar Brother Teamsters set by the new TA. Can anyone find something better? If so, please link it to this thread. Thanks
Great numbers let me add one more....$ 7,000-$ 10,000 a year less then I'm making now minus one less weeks vacation & less job security ! The way I see it I'm paying $7,000-$ 10,000 a year for the excellent FREE HEALTH CARE

Great numbers let me add one more....$ 7,000-$ 10,000 a year less then I'm making now minus one less weeks vacation & less job security ! The way I see it I'm paying $7,000-$ 10,000 a year for the excellent FREE HEALTH CARE

Seems like the greater question is how much will you earn at your new job and pay for insurance. You may be the exception to the rule but most everyone here will get paid less and pay more for insurance if Abf gets bought.

It won't matter because with the electronic monitoring clause they added they can fire you if they want anyway and replace you with an even lower paid new hire. I am a steward and I'm telling you, you DONT want this in the contract. This clause does absolutely NOTHING to help make abf profitable except get rid of the older and more costly employees

Seems like the greater question is how much will you earn at your new job and pay for insurance. You may be the exception to the rule but most everyone here will get paid less and pay more for insurance if Abf gets bought.
YOU HAVE A PRETTY BIG IF THERE !!! I voted NO during the first ABF concession ( not sure if you were with the company then) I voted NO in 2010 & I vote NO now !! I would've entertained a FREEZE if they truly needed it however after all ABF's talk of a even salary playing field this contract is more about work rules & job security & workers rights & not about money. the top management gets paid, the stock holders get paid,the top retired officers have health care for life, seems like every body gets paid but US. EVERYONE ON TOP GOT RAISES DOES THAT SEEM LIKE GOOD BUSINESS FOR A COMPANY IN SUCH DIRE STRAITS?? You vote however you feel you need to, but don't try to convince us this is a good deal, it's a huge step backwards for labor & what will the next contract bring ? My question is what company ever gave back wages & work rules and returned to their previous station......NONE

YOU HAVE A PRETTY BIG IF THERE !!! I voted NO during the first ABF concession ( not sure if you were with the company then) I voted NO in 2010 & I vote NO now !! I would've entertained a FREEZE if they truly needed it however after all ABF's talk of a even salary playing field this contract is more about work rules & job security & workers rights & not about money. the top management gets paid, the stock holders get paid,the top retired officers have health care for life, seems like every body gets paid but US. EVERYONE ON TOP GOT RAISES DOES THAT SEEM LIKE GOOD BUSINESS FOR A COMPANY IN SUCH DIRE STRAITS?? You vote however you feel you need to, but don't try to convince us this is a good deal, it's a huge step backwards for labor & what will the next contract bring ? My question is what company ever gave back wages & work rules and returned to their previous station......NONE

Yes I agree it is a bad deal that will move organized labor backwards and closer to our non union buddies. Some people will also call that a market adjustment. Anyway, it is quite possibly the best deal available also. My B.A. served on the negotiating committee and to paraphrase him this deal was dramatically better than what they worked on for three months and he feels is the best deal possible considering the hanging offer from YRC which is the game changer.

Only if the YRC IS REAL A company still continuing to lose money,bad credit,no collateral & a huge debt payment awaiting them this year can actually buy something. I might want a house on the cape,talk to the owner,even make an offer but doen't mean I can get the mortage. the true game changer is the IBT bringing this to us. we were told both times before in concession talks with ABF BY THE UNION TO TAKE THE DEAL &BE THANKFUL WE GOT WHAT WE GOT...........AND WE SAID NO !! back to the table & keep working on it that's why we pay our dues & their salaries

Only if the YRC IS REAL A company still continuing to lose money,bad credit,no collateral & a huge debt payment awaiting them this year can actually buy something. I might want a house on the cape,talk to the owner,even make an offer but doen't mean I can get the mortage. the true game changer is the IBT bringing this to us. we were told both times before in concession talks with ABF BY THE UNION TO TAKE THE DEAL &BE THANKFUL WE GOT WHAT WE GOT...........AND WE SAID NO !! back to the table & keep working on it that's why we pay our dues & their salaries

I agree with you: The ones fighting for that yes vote is working on fear theory. If.. If.. If.. What if, if never happens then you worried about something for nothing because it never happened. We need to worry about this contract first and worry about what if later.

I wouldn't call this contract a catastrophe

A 7% pay cut with 4 raises in the 5 years totaling a 7.5% increase

No pension contribution increases for 5 years. Pensions will be maintained

The 6% limit on subcontracting is probably truckload freight. The 6% is 'if enforceable'

Health and welfare benefits maintained.

They always fired people on the spot if caught stealing time

Lose a week vacation and 5 minutes of your break sucks but wtf

https://tdu.org/sites/default/files/ABF National Master Freight Agreement 2013 2018.pdf

I wouldn't call this contract a catastrophe

A 7% pay cut with 4 raises in the 5 years totaling a 7.5% increase

No pension contribution increases for 5 years. Pensions will be maintained

The 6% limit on subcontracting is probably truckload freight. The 6% is 'if enforceable'

Health and welfare benefits maintained.

They always fired people on the spot if caught stealing time

Lose a week vacation and 5 minutes of your break sucks but wtf

https://tdu.org/sites/default/files/ABF National Master Freight Agreement 2013 2018.pdf
in 5 years you'll be making what you are now (unless they come back for more ask yrc about that) with 1 less week vacation so many employees will work those years with only 1 week vacation a year &you don't feel that this is a catastrophe ?????

Can you delete this moron thread please ty in advance

There is a point to this thread. Can you come up with a job that pays at least $22.64 an hour or .56875 cents a mile that offers great insurance with no monthly premium. UPS Freight pays a little more but requires health care contributions and the pension is controlled by UPS.

Everyone here at ABF has a monumental decision to make and understanding the reality of the job market absolutely influences the amount of risk we are willing to take by rejecting almost 5 months of work between the Teamsters negotiating committee and ABF. This is not the 1970's whereby if one union company goes down you just move to another union job. It is a far descend to the non-unions and for the most part, they will not hire you if you have union time anyway.

So hell no, this thread will not be deleted. Information is king!