ABF | $22.64 an hour, $.56875 a mile and a first class health plan with zero monthly cost!

Your right NHE it is one of the best out there, but for me it isn't enough. I wouldn't aspire to own the best suit Kmart has to offer either. The compensation bar keeps getting lower for labor and higher for corps. JMO. I cant afford to keep going backwards.

there are 23 inividual pension plans ABF is participatory to . Central States is only one. Some are funded better than others, some have different participants in them. In Joint Council #40, Pittsburgh area,......UPS is in the same plan as us. Different multiplier, same plan. Several other plans also have UPS.....and other major employers....in them. Pension Protection Act of 2006 allowed a "buyout" of 20% of the unfunded liability if the Plan happened to go into Critical Status. Several Plans did, including ours, and Central States. ABF chose not to "buy out" of the plans, but to remain in them. Their argument about "orphans" is disingenuous. All Multi-Employer plans use funds to pay pensions to all participants in the plans.....always have,...always will. If your employer closes, your benefit level is frozen at that amount............so "your" pension is "paid" by your former employer. Since funds are mingled into a common fund at Multi-Employer plans to pay benefits......and have always been since the ERISA act of 1974......ABF can't say we are paying benefits to "orphans". ABF is not paying a dime more in pension costs than what was negotiated 5 years ago...........Their "argument" is that since funds are commingled, and many employers have gone out of business,.....they feel that making a pension contribution for an existing employee who has not retired means that the contribution is going to someone who has not worked for ABF.....this is not true, and if ABF wanted a Single Employer plan, they could've set one up years ago......however,...until the "manufactured" stock crash of 2008, Multi-Employer Plans were the strongest, safest retirement vehicle on the market...........and ABF never moaned about "orphans" then,...even though the same retirement procedure was going on.........Once again,....twisting the facts to fit the fears.........VOTE NO!

Who will pay the tax on the health coverage when it is ruled a cadillac plan under Obamacare?

Look at the concessions. We're paying for it right there.

I think the idiot Teamsters that voted for that freedom hating Marxist, and supported that unconstitutional crap of a law should lose their jobs. Every single one of them screwed thier union brothers.

there are 23 inividual pension plans ABF is participatory to . Central States is only one. Some are funded better than others, some have different participants in them. In Joint Council #40, Pittsburgh area,......UPS is in the same plan as us. Different multiplier, same plan. Several other plans also have UPS.....and other major employers....in them. Pension Protection Act of 2006 allowed a "buyout" of 20% of the unfunded liability if the Plan happened to go into Critical Status. Several Plans did, including ours, and Central States. ABF chose not to "buy out" of the plans, but to remain in them. Their argument about "orphans" is disingenuous. All Multi-Employer plans use funds to pay pensions to all participants in the plans.....always have,...always will. If your employer closes, your benefit level is frozen at that amount............so "your" pension is "paid" by your former employer. Since funds are mingled into a common fund at Multi-Employer plans to pay benefits......and have always been since the ERISA act of 1974......ABF can't say we are paying benefits to "orphans". ABF is not paying a dime more in pension costs than what was negotiated 5 years ago...........Their "argument" is that since funds are commingled, and many employers have gone out of business,.....they feel that making a pension contribution for an existing employee who has not retired means that the contribution is going to someone who has not worked for ABF.....this is not true, and if ABF wanted a Single Employer plan, they could've set one up years ago......however,...until the "manufactured" stock crash of 2008, Multi-Employer Plans were the strongest, safest retirement vehicle on the market...........and ABF never moaned about "orphans" then,...even though the same retirement procedure was going on.........Once again,....twisting the facts to fit the fears.........VOTE NO!

....."manufactured" stock crash of 2008".....

Oh geez.

You are assuming we will be under any contract. With a no vote why would ABF agree to another extension? Without another extension we would not be covered by a contract...
Your assertions are correct and ABF may decide not to agree to an extension if we vote no. But, that increases the possibility of us going on strike. I believe that would cause some customers to ship with other carriers. It would create a whole load of problems for ABF. If your assertion that ABF would be better without extending the contract, then I would ask you, why did they agree to the ones they have now? Would it not be better for them to just say no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellently written. I don’t know if this is true but it makes a lot of since. And sounds accurate.

....."manufactured" stock crash of 2008".....

Oh geez.
That "manufactured" stock crash of 2008" was a nuclear bomb. Our beloved president Obama passed the MULTIEMPLOYER PENSION PLAN FUNDING RELIEF LEGISLATION in 2010 that allowed the pension funds decades to recoup losses that in effect allowed the carriers to operate with unfunded pension liabilities. The down side is the carriers are now liable for orphans pensions where as there would have been money for them if investments paid off. It's no secret that the Funds rely heavily on stock market returns to make retirees dreams become a reality.

http://www.nccmp.org/pdfs/Relief Bill Announcement.pdf

MULTIEMPLOYER PENSION PLAN FUNDING RELIEF LEGISLATION
SIGNED BY PRESIDENT OBAMA ON JUNE 25, 2010
The financial market crash of 2008 placed unprecedented funding pressure on multiemployerdefined benefit pension plans and the thousands of employers that provide responsible retirement benefits to their employees by participating in
them. Since that time, the National CoordinatingCommittee for Multiemployer Plans (NCCMP) and its Coalition partners
have worked tirelessly to develop a plan, and have lobbied Congressfor legislative funding relief.

That "manufactured" stock crash of 2008" was a nuclear bomb. Our beloved president Obama passed the MULTIEMPLOYER PENSION PLAN FUNDING RELIEF LEGISLATION in 2010 that allowed the pension funds decades to recoup losses that in effect allowed the carriers to operate with unfunded pension liabilities. The down side is the carriers are now liable for orphans pensions where as there would have been money for them if investments paid off. It's no secret that the Funds rely heavily on stock market returns to make retirees dreams become a reality.

http://www.nccmp.org/pdfs/Relief Bill Announcement.pdf

MULTIEMPLOYER PENSION PLAN FUNDING RELIEF LEGISLATION
SIGNED BY PRESIDENT OBAMA ON JUNE 25, 2010

Good post, except for one thing....Obama does not pass any laws....Congress does that, so any arguments on an issue has to do with those who voted for the new Law / Act....he only signs the bill into law....KK

Yes I agree it is a bad deal that will move organized labor backwards and closer to our non union buddies. Some people will also call that a market adjustment. Anyway, it is quite possibly the best deal available also. My B.A. served on the negotiating committee and to paraphrase him this deal was dramatically better than what they worked on for three months and he feels is the best deal possible considering the hanging offer from YRC which is the game changer.
It's to bad for you folks.... Nothing you did wrong BUT YOU DID WHAT WAS EXPECTED OF YOU!!!! **** poor management doesn't take the blame the .....................The workers suffer for their decisions!! Hope it all works out for you

didnt they bluff on the 15%?

Yes, ABF bluffed on the 15% pay cut. That does not mean they are bluffing now, but with revenue rising and the economy turning, even they are not threatening us with ‘going out of business’ like they did with the 15% pay threat. Now they are threatening to sell us. What does that tell us? Possibly that the company is worth more now than it was when they wanted a 15% pay cut? So why would we give in now, when we would not give in before? But, as business people they have to ask, we just don’t have to consent!!!

A comment on the math, if you take a seven percent cut in wages you are now making 93 percent of your previous wages. Now if in a year you get a two percent increase in wages you are actually getting a 1.86 percent increase of your original wages. It will not make a huge difference, but you will not get your seven percent back quite as quickly. Then if you are making 94.86 percent of your original wages and get another two percent that would be a 1.8972 percent of your original wages. So after two wage increases you are not back to 97 percent, you are actually at 96.75 percent and so on. I hope my math is correct, I was just doing it in my old worn out truck driver's head.

Throw the weeks vacation into the equation and I think we're givin seven percent for five years.

As everyone realizes now,.....just as I said, we have another extension,....ostensibly to the end of June to count the votes. The IBT announced it May 29th, and sent out a teletype to the Locals May 30th,...Friday,...in the afternoon. We are supposed to have a company-wide teleconference Monday, June 3rd, 7:00 P.M.......with the estimable Mr. Sweeton..........I suggest we all tune up our violins so we can play background music for the sad and terrible sob-story Mr. Sweeton is going to give us in a trembling and halting voice. It will be heart-breaking.....the Noble and Honorable, Hard-working management of ABF has worked their fingers to the bone to "give" us the "Best wages and Benefits" in LTL.....and us unfeeling, ignorant, ungrateful employees actually have the temerity to demand wages high enough to feed our families. We shoul fall on our knees and bless ABF management for their magnamity in allowing us to work for them, irregardless of what they pay. So what if they want to video you while you're working?....take a few secret pictures?....hide a few cameras?.....employ a few surveillance professionals to track us? They just want to weed out a few "trouble-makers".....and the Lord knows the IBT doesn't like trouble-makers.......Maybe we should videotape Mr. Sweeton on his knees, begging us to accept this agreement, just to show us a little "video" doesn't hurt........