FedEx Freight | 25 yr. man loses posistion @ FedEx national

Low Ride 3&8

TB Lurker
Credits
Why is it that their are different rules for everybody,I was out on medical leave for 4 months.and came back to work and lost my position.I was a linehaul driver for 25 yrs now I'm a city driver on call.After talking to other drivers from freight and national that were in my position out on medical leave the same amount time and longer they said they didn't lose their position..I need some help on this matter.

You are protected by Federal law (Family Medical Leave Act) for 12 weeks. After that the company can do anything they like.

Did you stay in contact with your terminal manager while you were on leave? There have been exceptions to the 12 week leave where drivers came back without losing their position, but I think it's up to the terminal leaders.

Here's the FMLA rundown.

EMPLOYER COVERAGE

The FMLA applies to all public agencies, including state, local and federal employers, local education agencies (schools), and private-sector employers who employed 50 or more employees in 20 or more workweeks in the current or preceding calendar year, including joint employers and successors of covered employers.

EMPLOYEE ELIGIBILITY

To be eligible for FMLA benefits, an employee must:

* work for a covered employer;
* have worked for the employer for a total of 12 months;
* have worked at least 1,250 hours over the previous 12 months; and
* work at a location in the United States or in any territory or possession of the United States where at least 50 employees are employed by the employer within 75 miles.

While the 12 months of employment need not be consecutive, employment periods prior to a break in service of seven years or more need not be counted unless the break is occasioned by the employee’s fulfillment of his or her National Guard or Reserve military obligation (as protected under the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA)), or a written agreement, including a collective bargaining agreement, exists concerning the employer’s intention to rehire the employee after the break in service. See “FMLA Special Rules for Returning Reservists.”

LEAVE ENTITLEMENT

A covered employer must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:

* for the birth and care of a newborn child of the employee;
* for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
* to care for a spouse, son, daughter, or parent with a serious health condition;
* to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition; or
* for qualifying exigencies arising out of the fact that the employee’s spouse, son, daughter, or parent is on active duty or call to active duty status as a member of the National Guard or Reserves in support of a contingency operation.

[quote author=Biggdogg link=topic=81922.msg845793#msg845793 date=1278870623]
Why is it that their are different rules for everybody,I was out on medical leave for 4 months.and came back to work and lost my position.I was a linehaul driver for 25 yrs now I'm a city driver on call.After talking to other drivers from freight and national that were in my position out on medical leave the same amount time and longer they said they didn't lose their position..I need some help on this matter.
[/quote]

There is a section of the employee handbook that covers this. I'm not sure of the particulars because I am currently on Disability for surgery that has lasted longer than expected. but I can give you the basics.
If you are going to be off for a certain number of days during the bid cycle, your bid is vacated, and they re-bid from you down the seniority list to fill the bid. I think it's something like 30 or 45 days. When you come back, you go on the extra board until the next bid cycle.
Also, if you are on disability, but are expected to come back within a certain number of days after the bid starts, I think its the same number, then you are allowed to bid, and will assume your bid when you come back.
For example, I lost my bid because of my disability. I am expected to be back at work the first week of September. So I will be allowed to bid when the time comes, and assume my bid when I come back.
I hope this helps. I'm sure others will clarify the details, but that is basically how it works. Welcome back. I hope to see everyone soon myself.

you had better check with your hr guy rwdfinch because he was on disability. if your hr guys out of kcy let us all know. good luck because these work practices affect everyone. we have a guy out right know fightin cancer he had surgery and had to wait 3 weeks to start 7 weeks of kemo so this rule means he has 2 weeks after kemo to come back to keep his position. hope you get better soon.

[quote author=rwdfinch51 link=topic=81922.msg845856#msg845856 date=1278880283]
If you are going to be off for a certain number of days during the bid cycle, your bid is vacated, and they re-bid from you down the seniority list to fill the bid. I think it's something like 30 or 45 days. When you come back, you go on the extra board until the next bid cycle.[/quote]

That's the old rule. We have bump bidding now. If you are out longer than 30 days your bid is vacated and a bump bid from you down is done. When you come back, you get to bump back into your run.

O.k., apparently I was wrong. I assumed you went to the extra board when you came back. Sorry for any confusion. But I did get it half right. I gotta tell you with these drugs the doctor has me on, I consider half right a personal victory :kicking: :clap:.
As far as the other post, I have been off since January 18th., and I will be on long term disability for a month or so when I come back, and I just talked to them on Wednesday after my last surgery, and my position and seniority are waiting for me.
Anyways, thanks for clearing it up for me. I knew I wasn't 100% right.

It used to be that you went to the extra board until the next bid. They came out with the bump bid a couple months back. It's a good thing. :thumbsup:

[quote author=Guardrail link=topic=81922.msg845884#msg845884 date=1278887517]
That's the old rule. We have bump bidding now. If you are out longer than 30 days your bid is vacated and a bump bid from you down is done. When you come back, you get to bump back into your run.
[/quote] All you guys better check yourself because I was told if I dont get to work after 12 weeks I lose my position and will not have a job if there is no openings. Right from Ted C. from Lakeland , And Tony T out of Kcy. I am fighting for my life with cancer they could care less. I am going through radiation and chemo. And this is what the terminal manager says there is open spots in linehaul but or not going to fill them. So guys beware you will be :rant: on

[/quote][quote author=lakeman link=topic=81922.msg845991#msg845991 date=1278901624]
All you guys better check yourself because I was told if I dont get to work after 12 weeks I lose my position and will not have a job if there is no openings. Right from Ted C. from Lakeland , And Tony T out of Kcy. I am fighting for my life with cancer they could care less. I am going through radiation and chemo. And this is what the terminal manager says there is open spots in linehaul but or not going to fill them. So guys beware you will be :rant: on
[/quote]

I wish you both well,but something here is not right. @ our barn there are guys who run there short term and get into there long term and keep there spots and jobs. I think after a year if your not well enough to return they can terminate you. Get Rest SD

I know a driver at a break bulk who had a torn acl. He was out for longer than 12 weeks. Yeah he did lite duty when he was forced to but now he is back to his spot. sorry to hear what they are doing it makes no sense

[quote author=lakeman link=topic=81922.msg845991#msg845991 date=1278901624]
All you guys better check yourself because I was told if I dont get to work after 12 weeks I lose my position and will not have a job if there is no openings. Right from Ted C. from Lakeland , And Tony T out of Kcy. I am fighting for my life with cancer they could care less. I am going through radiation and chemo. And this is what the terminal manager says there is open spots in linehaul but or not going to fill them. So guys beware you will be :rant: on
[/quote]

I've got a very close family member fighting cancer (brain) right now myself. So I understand how hard it is, but after 12 weeks lose position and no job if there are no openings when you come back? There must be some mis-understanding here, that does'nt sound right at all... We all know that's not the policy so maybe an update on this thread lakeman?

national hr told lakeman that smaller terminals have different policy than the big hubs. this is bs because he has 18+ names off other drivers who got there positions back after 4 to 10 months and half of them are from sat terminals. every one needs to call there hr and ask questions and let us all know what they say. stay tuned for the ::shit:: to hit the fan.

This is a very serious issue that should be addressed . I'd hate to think after 23 years something happened and I was off awhile I'd end up screwed like that. Is this just a STL problems or has other centers had this problem? Praying for you all. The last thing a person needs to worry about that's fighting cancer a whatever is his job. Management should step up and help all they can, that is just bs

[/quote] You need to go to the top with this one. I would talk to Jeff B. and if that didn't work call FedEx corp in Memphis and I know for a fact you can talk to Fred himself if you think you are being hoo doed. You do need to follow the chain of command first though, and if you are still not satisfied go to corp in Memphis and you will get to Fred.

We have emailed Jeff B.and No reply. and wrote and called Fred Smith, we didn't get to talk to him only his asst. and she said there is a open door policy but he can't talk to me, I have to write letters and follow the chain of command , which is what I was trying to do with phone calls but no one high up would return my call. I wrote him and she said he recieved it and that the matter was now under reviewAV. It's been over a month now and I haven't heard anything. But Friday we talked to Sr. Manager over Transportation and he told us that, no we should go back to our position ,that there must be something more to it with HR. He would get back to me. Which again he never did.

[quote author=chitownpeddler link=topic=81922.msg852684#msg852684 date=1280442878]
If push comes to shove.......media or newspaper nothing like a special report to awaken some brass with their heads up their arses
[/quote]

Let's not go off the deep end here...... :biglaugh: