28 vehicles pile up

Wow I see those folks are doing their part to help out the local economy,such as the towing,& collision shops.
Along with the overtime for the cops & other crash responders.
Just kidding,as I have thought the best way to deal with heavy fog & snow storms is to wait till visibility is clearer.
That wait is shorter than dealing with the time it takes when you get in a wreck.

Wow I see those folks are doing their part to help out the local economy,such as the towing,& collision shops.
Along with the overtime for the cops & other crash responders.
Just kidding,as I have thought the best way to deal with heavy fog & snow storms is to wait till visibility is clearer.
That wait is shorter than dealing with the time it takes when you get in a wreck.

People are too impatience to "wait" now, Always in a hurry, need to be 1st, got to be #1 in line. It blows my mind.

But, I have tried for several years, here in Va. , to get the state to get serious about motorists turning their lights on in bad weather. They went berserk over the seat belt law and basically when a person doesn't wear the seat belt they are only endangering themselves, but when they fail to turn on their lights and I mean ALL lights, they are a danger to everyone on the road.

I have contacted our state lawmakers about this situation and it has all been in vain. Here in Augusta County, Va I have personally written to our "representative" several times over this matter and received nothing but a "brush off". Talked to state troopers, local policemen and no one seems to care.

Living at the foot of one of the most foggiest mountain in the country, Afton Mountain, it amazes me that people do not care to take a second to flip a switch. Afton Mountain has "running lights" installed in the roadway, similar to runway lights at airports, in order to help guide motorists But yet they will zoom across the mountain in the fog, rain and snow without the first lights being on..

Y
People are too impatience to "wait" now, Always in a hurry, need to be 1st, got to be #1 in line. It blows my mind.

But, I have tried for several years, here in Va. , to get the state to get serious about motorists turning their lights on in bad weather. They went berserk over the seat belt law and basically when a person doesn't wear the seat belt they are only endangering themselves, but when they fail to turn on their lights and I mean ALL lights, they are a danger to everyone on the road.

I have contacted our state lawmakers about this situation and it has all been in vain. Here in Augusta County, Va I have personally written to our "representative" several times over this matter and received nothing but a "brush off". Talked to state troopers, local policemen and no one seems to care.

Living at the foot of one of the most foggiest mountain in the country, Afton Mountain, it amazes me that people do not care to take a second to flip a switch. Afton Mountain has "running lights" installed in the roadway, similar to runway lights at airports, in order to help guide motorists But yet they will zoom across the mountain in the fog, rain and snow without the first lights being on..

We talking nascar?

Hmm Virginia DOT officials need to talk to my New York DOT.
We get a ticket & have to pay a fine if we don't turn our headlights on in rain & snow storms.

One of the articles in our NYS drivers manual.
DRIVING IN RAIN, FOG OR SNOW
A bit of rain, snow or ice makes roads slippery. Wet leaves can be slippery and hazardous. Reduced speed and increased following distance improve your safety under these conditions (see Chapter 8). Take additional care on curves, turns and expressway ramps.

In heavy rain, your tires can begin to ride on the water that is on top of the road pavement. This "hydroplaning" can cause complete loss of traction and control of steering. Hydroplaning normally occurs at higher speeds, but it also can occur if your tires are tread worn or not inflated properly. When there is heavy rain, it always makes sense to drive more slowly. If your vehicle begins to lose traction, decrease your speed even more. Good tires with deep tread help to prevent hydroplaning.

Rain, fog or snow make it harder to see through your windshield, and difficult for other drivers to see you. (New York State law requires) you to turn on your headlights when the weather conditions require the use of windshield wipers to clear rain, snow, sleet or fog. "Daytime running lights" do not qualify as headlights.

High headlight beams reflect rain, fog and snow as it falls. This makes it even harder for you to see. For better visibility during these weather conditions, keep your headlights on low beam. Reduce your speed. Signal your turns further ahead of time to give other drivers and roadway users more warning. Brake early when you decrease speed behind another vehicle or come to an intersection stop.

Some vehicles have front fog lights or front and back fog lights, for use when heavy fog or similar hazardous weather conditions restrict visibility. In New York State, all fog lights must be correctly installed and of a type approved by the Commissioner of DMV. Front fog lights can be amber or white in color. Back fog lights must be red and can be larger than the normal back lights - they will give advance warning of the presence of your vehicle to the drivers behind you. When visibility improves, you can switch off your fog lights to reduce the glare that can bother other drivers.